Heatsink on Raspberry [SOLVED]

Pushkar1

Joined Apr 5, 2021
I had raspberry pi board on which i had installed heat sink as shown in image But hey unfortunately my pi board is broken After which I bought a new board.

Can I remove the Heat sink from the old board and install it on the new board?
images (33).jpeg

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I don't see why not? How was your existing heat sink attached? You normally want to use a good thermal transfer compound.

Ron

Pushkar1

Joined Apr 5, 2021
I don't see why not? How was your existing heat sink attached? You normally want to use a good thermal transfer compound.

Ron
As you can see in the image so it is attached by glue. I tried hard to get it out but it is not coming out.

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
Some heatsinks are attached with a "glue". Some dry hard and will be a problem to brake off all the glue and apply more. Some stay wet and come off easier.
Some heatsinks are attached with a thermal double sided tape and come off OK.
In all cases you will need to clean the heat sink because it is very important to have good clean surfaces.
Try twisting the heatsink. Then try prying again. Then I trying using bad words. lol

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
But hey unfortunately my pi board is broken After which I bought a new board.
Well with the old board broken and of no use you have nothing to lose removing the existing heat sink. Depending on the glue used maybe place the thig in boiling water for several min and a screwdriver wedged between heat sink and uC. Really matters not since the old unit is scrap. Option two is just make or buy a new set of heatsinks.

Ron

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Can I remove the Heat sink from the old board and install it on the new board?
I'd try applying heat to see if the adhesive will soften enough for you to remove it. I have a number of heatsinks of that style, but I've never tried to remove one.