ICON Fitness MC1648DLS Heatsink Replacement

electricentropy

Joined Aug 28, 2023
Greetings. I understand that many others have had issues with the MC1648DLS motor controller. I've personally noticed when the board temperature rises above 120 degrees Fahrenheit, the board seems to stop the treadmill motor. I've been able to mitigate this by installing a CPU fan directly underneath the board. None of the components on the board have burned out or need to be replaced. I'm just struggling with the overheating issue.

Has anyone had success directly replacing the heatsink with something better? I'm interested in modifying the cooling solution in a way that I can reassemble the treadmill with minor external modifications.

I've attached a photo of the board for those not familiar with this motor controller.

Attachments

electricentropy

Joined Aug 28, 2023
I believe the power components that are clamped to the heatsink are the suspects. I tried googling a data sheet or schematic for the board but was not successful. If you have more insight into what the root cause may be, let me know and I can do some testing. I've also read on this forum and other places that others who have motor control board issues don't have success with just replacing the board.

I can use the treadmill for about 15-20 minutes before the overheating issue stops the motor or slows it to a crawl. If I let it cool down or place a fan directed at the board, I can continue to run the treadmill. This is the reason I think it's an overheating problem. If you think it's a faulty component causing this, let me know and I can try replacing it.

treadmilld

Joined Jan 25, 2024
What we regularly see with these is an external factor causing the component failure. Either a short in another part, input voltage surge, or sustained high amperage due to a worn bearing in the roller or a worn walking belt and deck are the most common external causes of failure that we have seen from thousands of customers. Correcting the external factors will prevent recurring failure of a repaired or replaced controller board.