HDMI to LVDS

david.larsen_MoveInno

Joined Apr 23, 2021
Hello,
I am trying to convert HDMI to LVDS using Chalkboard-electronics adapter (https://chalk-elec.com/?page_id=1283#!/HDMI-to-dualLVDS-converter-FullHD/p/42489709/category=3094859).
Schematic is available in the link (and also attached), although there is a small error; "PIXS"-pins of the TFP401 is not GND'ed as in the schematic, but actually VDD'ed on the actual board (configures TFP401 to 2 pixels per clock instead of 1 pixel per clock).

Basically the idea is that the HDMI is converted to 24-bit RGB through the TI TFP401 (48-bit in practice, as it is configured as 2 pixels per clock, via the PIXS-pin), which is further converted to LVDS (OpenLDI, I guess) through the DS90C387A.

Basically no matter what I try, the screen stays black (I toggle background light through another independent PCB and I easily see whether backlight is on or off - but there's no image on screen).

Now, I have checked the basic configuration pins of both IC's, and they match the schematics and both Hsync-, Vsync-, Pixel clock- and DE-signals are present and look alright at first glance (mind you, I am not a digital video expert!).
/Power-down pins controlled by PIC processor are both high.
RGB-data seems present on all 48 RGB pins between the ICs and differential signals are present on LVDS output. I cannot decipher the signals, but the clock-lanes are definitely clocks and data lanes looks like data - I have also verified pin-out/connection between board and display twice.
CM level is good (approximately 1.2V) and DM-signal are roughly 400mV, although this is measured using a standard 500MHz probe, so actual values may vary.
To be certain signal strength is okay, I increased to LVDS power form default (0.75V) to 1.5V with a 9k resistor from VDD to PRE_pin of DS90C387 - still no image on screen.

The display (1080p @ 60hz) I am using is this: https://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data Sheets/Data Modul/eTD133W3202-AUA-A.pdf
I have attached EDID information of (on of) the file(s) I have tested with the display - it's is from another board that does work with the display, but is using DVI instead of HDMI; I have of course also tried changing the DVI configuration in EDID file to HDMI, but to no avail.
... attached EDID data in readable text-format decoded using "edid-decode" in Ubuntu.

For testing purposes I have attached the display and adapter board to Windows and Ubuntu, but also to a Raspberry PI Compute module w/ IO-board with the following configuration in /boot/config.txt:
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_ignore_edid=0xa5000080
config_hdmi_boost=4
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_modes=82

I have not plugged-in the board's USB connector or in any way tampered with the onboard PIC-controller/firmware.

Does anybody have an idea of what I am missing?
Configuration of data-format, EDID-errors etc.? Like stated I am not an expert, in fact this is my first time ever tampering with display interfaces....

Cheers,
Dave.

Attachments

i.rosca80

Joined Sep 21, 2016
Hello

Did you happen to figure out what the issue was? I find myself in the same situation using the same adapter. No matter what I try, I only get a black image.