Half/Newbie in need please! -Welder Supply

Cookie_Monster82

Joined Feb 3, 2022
okay I will post pics as well but here is my project in dream version 1.0 My end result WILL come about as i am very fueled by my passion for creating a transformer/inverter working in unison with each other as an arc welder ac/dc Style with a flip of a switch big part due to my amazement with electronics mainly due to my lack of $3000 dollars to buy me the Miller of my dream version.... eh you get the picture metaphorically here is the physical picture of what I have to work with mind you that I'm not worried about the rectifier that will be last tweak to perfection but I have a perfectly working inverter board from a Yamaha HTR- 5940 stereo reciever. I have the entire working receiver but I know I can't use it due to its safety features such as protect mode so I for this as shown. Then I have a working RZR1 2500watt d block car amplifier also with protection mode feature that i dont know how to get around and then my baby, my creation transformer that I could prolly use alone for welding but I would like to have the peak watts when needed around 10000w so the transformer doesn't have to work nearly as much and most of the eddy and heat dissipates thru the heatsink on the mosfets. And I made this Toroid without counting the windings and in hopes of maximum current load and I am not sure if my DMM can even measure the amps that may be drawing wben i arc it but it doez like hell have a good arc at a voltage of 10v just with the Toroid nothing else but gets warm and it has a low to medium smooth as a buttox hum that sounds like a damn $3000 Miller hehe... so my main question is can I connect the three in a way that I get close to the results I need or do I need to rethink because I have a Vision for a Cookie Monster 82 welding machine prototype that every shop around may want a Monster82 welder made by Cookie. So I am a sponge and am absorbing all trying to filter out a lot of B'S that's in me already but you never know so splash me with your knowledge please and thank you from a humble kind of newbie btw I was trying to throw a few things up next to the transformer for a scale size but it turns out I have huge hands I'm told so just go with the Pete Rose baseball card or the DMM or the MOT 1643943589723-1648363450.jpg16439436235261203169469.jpg164394372694111070623.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You need a thread title that is more informative than "Half/Newbie in need please!"
Title should give the reader some idea of the content of the thread in a nutshell.

No need to post text in bold.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Probably the best "cheap" thing You could do is to use 2 Car-Batteries in series for ~24-Volts DC,
then build a very stout ~24-Volt Battery-Charger to supplement them and keep them Charged.

You will also need to make an Output-Inductor to stabilize the Arc,
~4- stripped MOT ( Microwave-Oven-Transformer ) Cores might be a good start.
The exact value of the Inductor will have to be found by experimentation,
but generally speaking, "more-is-better".

You won't have any Current-Control, except maybe by using 1, or 3, Batteries instead of 2.
That's where things start getting expensive.

Start Checking Yard-Sales, Pawn-Shops, and Classified-Ads like Craig's-List,
You might find a Welder in decent working order for a very reasonable price.
Harbor-Freight Welders are actually somewhat decent Welders.

Cookie_Monster82

Joined Feb 3, 2022
You need a thread title that is more informative than "Half/Newbie in need please!"
Title should give the reader some idea of the content of the thread in a nutshell.

No need to post text in bold.
Hey no [censored] I actually have one of these that I had gotten out of a paving machine a little bit back. Is this sufficient? And since the Toroid works on DC I really want to use thAt and the inverter board just to see if it work because I am very proud of the transformer and interested in circuitry and wanna see if I can combine them

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

bassbindevil

Joined Jan 23, 2014
There must be thousands of old arc welders gathering dust and rust because the owners have moved on to MIG and TIG. Welding and autobody shops might have old junk in the back if you ask politely and bring donuts.
Vintage car and tractor swap meets always have old tools and shop equipment as well.
Another approach: get a high-output car alternator and belt it up to a small gas engine. Use a spare car battery with a rheostat or maybe PWM controller to control the field current.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I have read thru a few times and I am guessing, because it is not clear, that your goal is to create an arc welder of some kind, using some new scheme that is not at all clear to me.
I see one rather large obstacle in the way: With any circuit, no matter how clever, the power out can not exceed the power in. This is a basic part of the way things are, and so if you get 10KW out there needs to be at least 10KW in.
It is possible to store energy in a capacitor bank and the have a much shorter discharge at a much higher current, but here also, watt seconds out can not exceed watt seconds in.

So I suggest, for an analysis that will allow others to understand the ultimate goal, starting outwith a block diagram showing what voltage and power comes out of each block, so that we will be able to provide some really usable advice.

One qualifier here is that my mind-reading ability is very poor and so I need more detailed explanations to understand what the intention of the plan is.