H bridge inverters

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
What about a low pass filter on a high frequency output...I guess that still settles it..
A low pass filter will pass the low frequencies and remove the high frequencies. So you place a low pass filter on a high frequency you get nothing out or close to nothing.

Ron

falade47

Joined Jan 24, 2017
A low pass filter will pass the low frequencies and remove the high frequencies. So you place a low pass filter on a high frequency you get nothing out or close to nothing.

Ron
Now I'm really confused...so what specification of power comes out from those mini cigarettes lighter port converters...is it high frequency or low frequency?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
DC in and either 120 or 230 VAC @ 60 or 50 Hz.

A very basic low power inverter really doesn't have much to it. A simple square wave oscillator banging away on a transformer. Years ago they were more of a challenge but today even high power units can be had. Cheap inverters output a modified sine wave or square wave, better units a true sine wave.

You may want to give this a read. There are ways to avoid a transformer but things get a little complicated. When all is said and done there are basic inverter circuits in previous links but it gets to a point where rolling ones own simply isn't practical.

Ron

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Lol...why the Prince's..do you think they're the cause ?
Maybe you being from Nigeria you don't get the Email's wanting help to get their money out of your country.

"One reason Nigeria may have been singled out is the apparently comical, almost ludicrous nature of the promise of West African riches from a Nigerian prince. According to Cormac Herley, a Microsoft researcher, "By sending an email that repels all but the most gullible, the scammer gets the most promising marks to self-select."[27] Nevertheless, Nigeria has earned a reputation for being at the center of email scammers,[28] and the number 419 refers to the article of the Nigerian Criminal Code (part of Chapter 38: "Obtaining property by false pretenses; Cheating") dealing with fraud.[29]

They refer to their targets as Maga or Mugu, slang developed from a Yoruba word meaning "Easy Target or Fool" and referring to gullible people in general. Some scammers have accomplices in the United States and abroad that move in to finish the deal once the initial contact has been made" From - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance-fee_scam

falade47

Joined Jan 24, 2017
Maybe you being from Nigeria you don't get the Email's wanting help to get their money out of your country.

"One reason Nigeria may have been singled out is the apparently comical, almost ludicrous nature of the promise of West African riches from a Nigerian prince. According to Cormac Herley, a Microsoft researcher, "By sending an email that repels all but the most gullible, the scammer gets the most promising marks to self-select."[27] Nevertheless, Nigeria has earned a reputation for being at the center of email scammers,[28] and the number 419 refers to the article of the Nigerian Criminal Code (part of Chapter 38: "Obtaining property by false pretenses; Cheating") dealing with fraud.[29]

They refer to their targets as Maga or Mugu, slang developed from a Yoruba word meaning "Easy Target or Fool" and referring to gullible people in general. Some scammers have accomplices in the United States and abroad that move in to finish the deal once the initial contact has been made" From - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance-fee_scam
That's true @shortbus ...so many of them here..you see them buying exotic cars and intimidating fellow Nigerians

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
That's true @shortbus ...so many of them here..you see them buying exotic cars and intimidating fellow Nigerians
You don't seem to understand me. The people doing the scams aren't real a prince, they are using the term because it might make some one outside of your country think they are. They are trying to trick greedy people out of their own money, by thinking they will get something for nothing.

falade47

Joined Jan 24, 2017
You don't seem to understand me. The people doing the scams aren't real a prince, they are using the term because it might make some one outside of your country think they are. They are trying to trick greedy people out of their own money, by thinking they will get something for nothing.
That's radically true ..well the government is working really hard on cyber crime now. ..it seems like you've been a victim once

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
How easy is it to get the materials to wind a transformer for whatever number of watts the inverter is supposed to deliver? A transformer and some FETs to do the switching is the simple way. Not the most efficient but one that will work the first time.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Not me but I know some one.
I have received several of those offers. I agree to help them and they can ail me the check, or whatever. Then I respond that it was damaged and the bank will not accept it, please send a replacement. When it arrives I tell them it did not arrive please send another one. Overseas postage costs them a lot, email postage costs me nothing. One of them wasted quite a bit of postage. Perhaps they learned, I don't get those offers any more.

falade47

Joined Jan 24, 2017
I have received several of those offers. I agree to help them and they can ail me the check, or whatever. Then I respond that it was damaged and the bank will not accept it, please send a replacement. When it arrives I tell them it did not arrive please send another one. Overseas postage costs them a lot, email postage costs me nothing. One of them wasted quite a bit of postage. Perhaps they learned, I don't get those offers any more.
That's wicked

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Maybe I was wrong with my description..but I needed a mini inverter just like those used in car cigarettes lighter.. obviously they do not have those chunky transformer in them..I want to incorporate that into my multipurpose power bank design
Hi,

Some of them use a inductor type DC to DC converter, then chop up the DC into AC
with an H bridge. So you get the higher voltage without a transformer. Non isolated however. You can also use a high frequency transformer to go DC to DC, then chip into AC.

The basic operation of these things is quite simple, but there are important details that have to be considered for a practical design. Things like switching rise/fall and MOSFET drive current and waveshape, gate anti oscillation, spike snubbers, transformer DC elimination (if a transformer is to be used), type of filter capacitors rating and ESR, stuff like that that kicks in in a practical design. Current limit, under/over voltage limits.

The basic theory is just a DC input and chop it up into AC with an H bridge using a special PWM pulse pattern that mimics an AC waveform.