H-Bridge and bi-directional solenoid

guoguo

Joined Oct 27, 2017
The weather is fine but I'm a little bit nervous because this is my first Posting, although allaboutcircuits is very forgiving, but it's also inevitable to be a newbie here, right?
I am having a problem trying to operate a bi-directional solenoid from a RaspberryPi by using an HL298N-Bridge. I am sure it’s a misunderstanding on my part but I hope someone can help me!

The solenoid I am using is thisIntertec ITS-LX-2218-12VDC-10mm.

The H Bridge is the same type as thisL298N Motor Drive Board Module.

My supply voltage is 15V.

My plan is to use the Pi’s GPIO to control if the solenoid is open or closed.

However when testing (using 3.3V and 5V control voltage and a common ground) I have noticed a problem.

If I don’t have the solenoid attached then when using a multi-meter I when 15V on the output when the control pins are set to 1 and 0 respectively and as expected I get -15V if 0 and 1 are present. This is all fine.

However when I perform the same check with the solenoid connected I’m only reading 7.5V across the H-bridge outputs and the solenoid fails to fire.

To summarise the H-bridge seems to work as I had hoped, apart from when the solenoid is attached. When the solenoid is connected the h-bridge would appear to not provide enough voltage/current to power the solenoid.

The solenoid works fine when using the source voltage directly for a fraction of a second.

I would be the first to confess my electronics knowledge is rubbish and even endless reading on Google has failed to provide any help so I am turning myself over to the good people of allaboutcircuits.
Thanks all guys.

philba

Joined Aug 17, 2017
The H Bridge is the same type as thisL298N Motor Drive Board Module.
If I take 53W claimed by the seller (a datasheet would better) and 12V (rated voltage) that yields 4.4A current draw. The max for the L298 is like 3A pulsed "non-repetitive" and 2A DC.And at those limits a heatsink and forced air cooling is required. You are pushing the limits.

In addition, your power supply max current should be 5A at very bare minimum but 8A is the lowest I would go.

guoguo

Joined Oct 27, 2017
If I take 53W claimed by the seller (a datasheet would better) and 12V (rated voltage) that yields 4.4A current draw. The max for the L298 is like 3A pulsed "non-repetitive" and 2A DC.And at those limits a heatsink and forced air cooling is required. You are pushing the limits.

In addition, your power supply max current should be 5A at very bare minimum but 8A is the lowest I would go.
Thanks for your help, 8A is the lowest, what should I do?