GSM and GPS antenna

gotumal

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Hi,
I need to have GPS and GSM connectivity to my designed module. Quite obviously, I am going to use GSM+GPS module which communicates over serial (full UART) interface. I have short listed one module from Telit. To my surprise, they have some UFL connectors for external huge antenna. I do not understand how does small mobile handset works with onboard antenna. Even indoor accuracy for GPS is good if I compare what module claims even with external antenna. Does anyone have any idea?

Best regards,
Gotumal

gotumal

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Not really. This is meant to control domestic appliances with some energy management stuff. I would like to have location information also for diagnosis etc.
Meanwhile, I also checked with my faulty Samsung Omnia phone. I was surprised to see that the case is actually metallic one though I see one UFL antenna on back side and I guess will be used only during testing.
And I used to get excellent range for network and GPS.

radiohead

Joined May 28, 2009
When creating circuits for use with GSM, keep in mind that the GSM 2G sunset has begun. 2G will be gone by 1 January 2017. Google it for more in-depth info.