Good US.S based web hosting company?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I have been with Directnic for years and I have finally had it.

They seem to have constant POP3 issues. Today my whole POP3 account has disappeared and I have yet to hear from them.

I am looking for a new hosting company, I don't want to pay a lot but want something decent. I don't need anything fancy just basic HTML though java, SQL and / or password protected FTP download would be a plus.

Can anyone recommend a decent company?

Last edited:
I've been using godaddy.com the past several years. Good support and it always seems to be up. I'm running on a Linux server.

joel N5lXI in Dallas

codehead

Joined Nov 28, 2011
I've been using dreamhost for several years, hosting two domains, and I just added a third this weekend for my son's personal training and fitness boot camp business. Unlimited domains, disk, bandwidth. Look for coupon codes—it was a few years ago, but when I did mine, the first year was something like $20 for no commitment to do a second year, unlimited everything.

emc-2

Joined Jan 29, 2010
There are loads of hosts out there and I would recommend going with a big company than a small one. Try hostmonster.com, Globat.com, etc.

dimulec

Joined Mar 3, 2012
There are loads of hosts out there and I would recommend going with a big company than a small one. Try hostmonster.com, Globat.com, etc.
I have websites hosted at Hostmonster (linux, shared hosting only) and 1and1 (dedicated servers). hostmonster is good, especially customer service. 1and1 customer service sucks, but I need to call them only like once every 2 years.

ApexLogic

Joined Apr 21, 2012
I use "namecheap" for site hosting (it is really cheap, ~$100 a year and no downtime). I was using reliablehosting for VPN and dedicated linux boxes.

MBVet05

Joined Jul 21, 2011
I have been using Sitesell for a little over a year now at only $30 dollars a month. Very good customer support and you can upload your own HTML pages.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
I have been using Sitesell for a little over a year now at only $30 dollars a month. Very good customer support and you can upload your own HTML pages.
$30??..that's a total rip-off.
No way I would pay more than $9 per month for shared hosting.. (and thats a top of the line shared hosting account--unlimited bandwidth/emails/sql databases,etc..)

Also what hosting company doesn't let you upload your own html or whatever content.. They all do.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I think it depends on what you are getting for that $30. I'm paying $5 or $6 a month for a pretty basic account with GoDaddy and it has more than I need right now. I've very pleased with their service and their tech support is very good.

I have seen hosting options (in fact, I think GoDaddy has this in some of their free free packages) that are very limited and restrictive to the point where you essentially fill out forms and it builds your website and if you can't get what you want within their wizard, then you can't get it at all. There's no uploading files in this case. That's totally worthless for me (and probably everyone on this board), but in their defense, I can imagine that 99+% of the people that establish a webpage are completely satsified with something like that since it makes it fast, easy, and pretty much idiot proof to get your grandkids' pictures up where everyone can see them.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
This thread is two years old, but I'll just throw in my vote for GoDaddy.com. I think you can get 5 pages for $20 a year, or something like that. It's EXTREMELY cheap.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
This thread is two years old, but I'll just throw in my vote for GoDaddy.com. I think you can get 5 pages for $20 a year, or something like that. It's EXTREMELY cheap.
Two years? Seems like a little over two months. Am I missing something?