Good multimeter: which one?

rsjsouza

Joined Apr 21, 2014
Yeah that's about my budget... I could actually push it to 30 :p ...

I am surprised that you all suggest "a Chinese one".... Considering the cost of a FLUKE.... Probably electronic works regardless the brand ....
Hehehe... That is the main reason why the Chinese options were mentioned:

I'm an absolute beginner and I'm starting to play around with Arduino and home automation....
A Fluke, a Brymen or a Keysight will set you back much more without much tangible difference.

If you are looking for durability and "buy right and buy once", then certainly you need to increase your budget by a large margin. The absolute cheapest Fluke 101 (about US$50.00 FOB) is very limited in features for the type of work you are doing. The cheapest Brymen with reasonable features for electronics (BM233) will set you back US$80.00 FOB, while the options from Keysight and Fluke with electronics in mind will take you higher than that. The fact you mentioned being an absolute beginner probably steered away the options in the used market.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I got my HP, Simpson, and Tektronix DMMs on eBay for less than $30 each. That was 10-15 years ago. Used test equipment prices wax and wane; prices seem high now.

Hi all,

I'm an absolute beginner and I'm starting to play around with Arduino and home automation....

As newbie, I wowou like to get a good multimeter that is not going to be useless in 1 year (when hopefully my knowledge and implementation will be more advanced), but at the same time I don't want to spend a fortune....

Any good suggestion?

Many thanks

Ivan
This is a great choice , only 15$US...

I can count the number of times I used a DVM to measure capacitance on the fingers of one hand.
Honestly, I don't know how anyone could recommend a multimeter to someone starting out in Electronics in 2018 that is only capable of 20uF? Even if you check capacitance once or twice a year, chances are it will be of no use to you with such a limited range.

Harbour Freight freebies are great for basic DC Voltage/leaving in the car but that's about it. Even the Ω's range is paltry on these meters.
Get a versatile/cheap but decent Chinese meter and the sky's the limit from a learning perspective. Why cut someone's wings before they've learned how to fly...

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Honestly, I don't know how anyone could recommend a multimeter to someone starting out in Electronics in 2018 that is only capable of 20uF? Even if you check capacitance once or twice a year, chances are it will be of no use to you with such a limited range.
I should clarify; on the fingers of one hand over a period of 40+ years.

I'd use a current source, a timing circuit, and a scope if I really needed to measure capacitance.

Some DVM's can also measure transistor beta, but that's a poor substitute for a curve tracer.

Roger that dl324
I should clarify; on the fingers of one hand over a period of 40+ years.

I'd use a current source, a timing circuit, and a scope if I really needed to measure capacitance.

Some DVM's can also measure transistor beta, but that's a poor substitute for a curve tracer.
Roger that dl324, however I think you are missing the point entirely.
It's not what "you" would use but what a newcomer to electronics should choose to learn with for his/her inaugural journey into Electronics.
My father would always choose two sticks to light a campfire, but I still prefer to use a match ;)

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
however I think you are missing the point entirely.
It's not what "you" would use but what a newcomer to electronics should choose to learn with for his/her inaugural journey into Electronics.
I think it's you who's missing the point entirely. There just isn't much need to measure capacitance. You simply used the marked value and tolerance. If troubleshooting indicates a bad capacitor, you just replace it.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I once worked in large manuf facility as Electronic tech and we had to issue meters to the Electricians, at that time the standard stock was some simple moving coil meters, an incident occurred where an electrician was working on 600v ac service and inadvertently used the resistance range instead of voltage, he received severe flash-over burns to his hands, luckily otherwise OK.
At that point it was decided to research safer meters and the Fluke survived the test on range setting errors.
But one strange feature of the Fluke was that when the battery got low it displayed odd readings such as 220vac when measuring 120vac, the battery low indicator was not showing at that point.
I have also experienced strange readings on mine when the battery is low.
Max.

I once worked in large manuf facility as Electronic tech and we had to issue meters to the Electricians, at that time the standard stock was some simple moving coil meters, an incident occurred where an electrician was working on 600v ac service and inadvertently used the resistance range instead of voltage, he received severe flash-over burns to his hands, luckily otherwise OK.
At that point it was decided to research safer meters and the Fluke survived the test on range setting errors.
But one strange feature of the Fluke was that when the battery got low it displayed odd readings such as 220vac when measuring 120vac, the battery low indicator was not showing at that point.
I have also experienced strange readings on mine when the battery is low.
Max.
Yes, most meters will exhibit either strange offset or misguided readings at some point if the battery is critically low..always best to replace the battery as soon as the low battery indicator arises.

There just isn't much need to measure capacitance. troubleshooting indicates a bad capacitor, you just replace it.
I disagree. Last time I checked, troubleshooting and testing were the same thing.
If you wan't to see whether a Cap is good or bad out of circuit than a DMM can point you in the right direction. If you're serious about measuring Capacitance in circuit than an ESR meter is the only viable option.

I don't remember the ones issued at the time, but mine is a 77.
Max.

Yes sometimes strange behaviour through an older but not depleted battery occurs.
The Fluke 77 I, II, III can last about 2000 hours on a new 9V battery.

The new Flukes including the 77IV will display batt on the lcd but not let you take readings when the battery runs low. The 77IV, can last 350-400 hours with a new 9V battery.