Gerber Viewer?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Anyone have link to a decent Free Gerber file viewer?
I have tried a few but they either want you to buy after 30 days or require other registration etc.
Max.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I second GC-Pre. Extremely helpful program when you need a viewer.

No limitations as long as you are just looking, ie, no editing. But that is what you have your other program for anyway.

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
No limitations as long as you are just looking, ie, no editing. But that is what you have your other program for anyway.
Not any more. There is now a limitation for the free version (I think that it is a year). I found an older version of GC-Preview from 2005 that doesn't have the limitation. I used this for years. The file is about 15 Meg.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Kicad doesn't seem to recognize imported files.
Pentalogix appears to be 64 bit now, I cannot run it on Win XP Prof.
I'm working my way down the list!
Max.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Presumably, you want to see the Gerbers before ordering a pcb. Have you tried OshPark? You do not need to order to see the setups. I do not consider that an abuse, as OshPark, while not the cheapest, may still be the best value. In fact, my most recent order was from it, even though I had tried a cheaper house in the interim.

John

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Presumably, you want to see the Gerbers before ordering a pcb. Have you tried OshPark? You do not need to order to see the setups.
John
I have gone cheaper since Oshpark, but these are gerber files from a Picmicro application board they sell, but supply the Gerbers.
Max.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Even Oshpark has suggested "gerbv". Once you upload s project, the detailed views are no longer available. When I inquired about this, Oshpark support recommended gerbv.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Where did you download from? Source Forge? There were a lot of comments about getting adware and malware from that site middle of last year, but gerbv.geda-project.org links to it for the downloads.

Sorry about the misleading advice on OshPark. My most recent order was early last Summer.

John

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Where did you download from? Source Forge? There were a lot of comments about getting adware and malware from that site middle of last year, but gerbv.geda-project.org links to it for the downloads.
Sorry about the misleading advice on OshPark. My most recent order was early last Summer.
John
The only time I used Oshpark was for the circular project you aided me on.
Just waiting to see how Dirty Board PCB pan out!;)
Max.