Creating Gerber files

The Opis

Joined Mar 27, 2024
Ok gonna jump right in. I have a project I sent to an Engineer that hasn't really got me excited yet. So basically I am thinking about working something up myself using some over the counter stuff and getting my PC guy to write some code. He recommended using a Rasberry PI board as it is something he is familiar with. My question is can someone create a gerber file from this platform?

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
I don't really understand.
Do not reinvent the Rasbery Pi. Just plug your board into the Pi. There are some Pi zero boars that are much smaller if you don't need all the power. I am using an Orange Pi 0 W. It is very small and has the PI connector, WIFI, quad core, USB and HDMI.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Welcome to AAC!

It is not clear what you are trying to do. A gerber file is required if you are having a PCB (printed circuit board) manufactured. A Raspberry Pi is a single board computer that you buy off-the-shelf.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Why would you need Gerber files if you are going to use a Raspberry Pi board? Are you thinking of making one yourself? If so, it will cost you more than buying it.

The Opis

Joined Mar 27, 2024
The product will be produced for resale. Currently the Engineer has a RFID receiver, wired to an Arduino board with a push button that activates a relay which is supposed complete a circuit. I believe the plan is once this "working sample" is completed I will then receive a gerber file in which we can have the PCB's produced, and we will complete the product from there. At this point I dont know if I am happy with the results I have seen. I contacted my PC guy to see what code he knew (for the arduino board) and thats when the rasberry PI board came up.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You are still not making this clear. Why do you need a gerber file?
If you want to use an Arduino board, then purchase and Arduino board.
If you want to use a raspberry Pi, then purchase a raspberry Pi.

The Opis

Joined Mar 27, 2024
You are still not making this clear. Why do you need a gerber file?
If you want to use an Arduino board, then purchase and Arduino board.
If you want to use a raspberry Pi, then purchase a raspberry Pi.
Once the working sample is working and everything is the way I want it, (whether it be Arduino or Rasberry) I will be producing 500+ of these units. I dont thing I want build that many ugly "samples". At that point I will want completed PCB to assemble my product. In order to do that I will need a Gerber file correct???

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
It appears that now there is a FRID, relay, button, and Arduino board. Probably a very simple Arduino.
I think in the next version, there will be a PCB that has a FRID, relay, button and half of the parts of an Arduino board. (there will be no Arduino board)
Gerber files are needed to make a PCB.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
If you are going into production, you don't want Arduino or Raspberry Pi. You want to go bare bones.
So your choice of embedded MCU comes down to the complexity of the application.
Lay out on paper all the functions and features required of the application. Then we will be in a better position to recommend an MCU. Do not rely on what your "PC guy" tells you. If he is not familiar with the MCU chosen then find someone who can do it. Don't be limited by the experience of one programmer.

The Opis

Joined Mar 27, 2024
It appears that now there is a FRID, relay, button, and Arduino board. Probably a very simple Arduino.
This is correct. So the original question if this is built using a Rasberry can that be used to map out a gerber file, or does this need to be built with an Arduino board?

The Opis

Joined Mar 27, 2024
If you are going into production, you don't want Arduino or Raspberry Pi. You want to go bare bones.
So your choice of embedded MCU comes down to the complexity of the application.
Lay out on paper all the functions and features required of the application. Then we will be in a better position to recommend an MCU. Do not rely on what your "PC guy" tells you. If he is not familiar with the MCU chosen then find someone who can do it. Don't be limited by the experience of one programmer.
Got it. I will try to get it drawn out the best I can. Might have to find my crayons

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
What you have is a proof of concept, something short of a prototype.

You don’t need just Gerber files, but a complete design, which includes a schematic, parts list, pcb design, Gerber files, code, and documentation (and probably several things I am forgetting.)

Hope you have a lot of bucks, and a competent embedded product engineer.

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
Here is a picture of two Arduino boards. If your programmer person only does Arduino, then that is the right choice.
Making only 500 boards, the cost of the "computer" is less important. The cost of the manpower to write the program out weights the cost of the IC. If you programmer works twice as long to make a $1.00 savings, there is a loss.
1711567835278.png

The Opis

Joined Mar 27, 2024
I have hired an engineer, however I feel he does not get what I am trying to accomplish. I felt good at our meeting but now. Im starting to worry.

I already have a patent pending an although I had 12 months to get to the next step time is slipping away.

The Opis

Joined Mar 27, 2024
Here is a picture of two Arduino boards. If your programmer person only does Arduino, then that is the right choice.
Making only 500 boards, the cost of the "computer" is less important. The cost of the manpower to write the program out weights the cost of the IC. If you programmer works twice as long to make a $1.00 savings, there is a loss.
View attachment 318570
500 was my thought on the first order. Once the product is out and gains recognition, I anticipate thousands. But I need to get a couple of prototypes for testing, then start the selling process.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
If your "PC guy" is familiar with raspberry Pi and not with Arduino then you're already stuck at the starting gate. Find someone who is familiar with both and much more otherwise you are already at a disadvantage. You will not be able to make the right choices.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
500 was my thought on the first order. Once the product is out and gains recognition, I anticipate thousands. But I need to get a couple of prototypes for testing, then start the selling process.
I predict that you will waste all of your resources in the patent process. Your expected income from selling crack on the steps a police station would be better. The risks and the fixed costs are known.

ETA: Are you an inventor or an entrepreneur? If the latter, then act like a businessman and skip the patent nonsense. It is the road to perdition.

The Opis

Joined Mar 27, 2024
The patent is already funded, the current engineer is funded and deposit has been made. Simply not excited about the results as of today. Looking to see whats out there. Before hiring this guy I was only able to find limited companys that offer the service to get my product developed and a prototype in hand.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Surely you are aware of supply shortages in the technology field. What are you going to do when your prototype is built and you are ready to go into production, then you find out that there is no supply of the components you had selected?

The Opis

Joined Mar 27, 2024
Surely you are aware of supply shortages in the technology field. What are you going to do when your prototype is built and you are ready to go into production, then you find out that there is no supply of the components you had selected?
Not familiar with the shortages at all......Guess I will just have to keep on keeping on and see what I can do. Hopefully I dont have to cross that bridge!