Fried Cap's in Amp on Unused Channel - Remove or Replace?

swj

Joined Nov 13, 2019
Good morning/afternoon/evening people.
I use a 5.1 surround amp for the sole purpose of amplifying a sub-woofer. 3 capacitors and 3 resistors have emitted magic smoke and leaked.
They are however on the channel/circuit for the rear/surround speakers.
I could solder new capacitors on there, but if it is possible would just prefer to remove the damaged components and carry on using the amp.
I don't fully understand circuits but was hoping if someone with knowledge could take a look at the circuit diagram and tell me if just removing the fried components would allow me to still use the amp safely.
I've attached the circuit diagram of the amp board and highlighted the parts that have fried in red.
Looking forward to hearing your response.
Kind regards, Steve.

Attachments

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
NO!

The components are intrinsic to the main Class D output stage and may not work reliably without them. If they have fried its almost certain one of the main chips is dead too, or could die at some point, or some other parts are stressed and will fail. There's high voltages close to 80v in there; this is not an end-user repair.

What caused the failure?

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
The series resistor and capacitor per channel are "Zobel " protection components they are to keep the impedance of the output constant at various frequencies.