Flip-Flops

happs

Joined Feb 27, 2005
Hey People :)

My electronics learning is going well -- with all you guys help I have made and learnt a lot and wanna thankyou for your input :)

I have decided to learn about Flip-Flops, now I have some flip flop IC's but havn't found a good schematic diagram for a SIMPLE flip-flop circuit. I understand that a Flip-Flop has two stable states and is either on or off, like a switch, and is not like a transistor switch in that a transistor switch will only stay on while a current is applied to its Base.

I know that this is maybe asking a lot but if someone could supply me with, or tell me where to find, a simple Flip-Flop circuit that when a push button is pressed the flip-flop changes state and simply lights an LED. When the push button is pressed again the LED turns off. I think this is the simplest form that I can think of. When I have learned the basics of how to actually get a Flip-Flop to function I can then look further and expand my understanding from that simple circuit. I understand that a clean signal will have to be supplied to the Flip-Flop so a 555 monostable can be used ?

I have two Flip-Flop ICs:
74HC373 - Tri-State Octal D Flip-Flop
4013 - Flip Flop

Any help would be greatly appreciated on this matter :)
Thankyou in advance

- Alex

Firestorm

Joined Jan 24, 2005
davids page starts to explain flip flops on page 20 to quicken you search...took me a good while but some good info in the whole thing :)
thx l8er

-fire

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Alex,

It's good to hear that you want to go ahead.

Keep in mind that there are three basic types of flip flops:

monostable (related with one shot applications)

bistable (related with data retention applications)

astable (related with clocks/oscilators)

Once you know what they do, then go for details on how they do it.

Otherwise you could be confused in the beginning.

Buena suerte.

Agustín Tomás

happs

Joined Feb 27, 2005
Hey Peeps :)

Just wanted to say thanks for the information you have kindly provided :) I will get on the case of Flip-Flops throughout today.

Much appreciated :D

- Alex