Fixing hyperflashing indicators

APJCOBRA

Joined Nov 18, 2022
Hi all,
Long story short.. I have a GTS car that's hyperflashing it's indicators.. have tried all the 'load resistor' fixes the commodore forums have suggested..
An auto electrician this week couldn't even fix it....

Anyway, thinking out of the box... (mind you.. still trying to fix it the traditional way too.. and is preferred)
was thinking... when i say indicate left.. I get 3 x normal flashes, then fast flashing till I turn indicator off.... (typically means a globe's blown.. but all are fine) might be a PCM issue?? $$$

If ..
I was to introduce a CCT that takes the current 12v output (3 x slow then Y x fast pulses).. then outputs a constant 12v for the duration it is receiving the pulsed 12v input.. then I can feed that constant 12v to a std flasher module outputting a constant normal flash..
When I turn off the indicator, the fast flashing stops (pulsed 12v) and the CCT then stops outputting the constant 12v.. flasher module stops flashing..
1 of these on each side will emulate a working system externally.. (bodgy I know... but just need to get it passed for registration eh)

Of course,
The CCT could supply the constant normal 12v flashing pulse output ITSELF (instead of adding a flasher module)
in this case,
Initiating input would be 12v pulsing ( 3 x ~1/2 second duration then 1/4 second fast pulses till indicator is turned off)
Resulting output would be constant 1/2 second duration pulses until indicator is turned off)
(each normal flash will be like 1/2 second on, then 1/2 second off, etc)

What would be the simplest CCT that would produce this result.. option B would be preferred..

I'll persist in diagnosing the internal issue with the hope of resolving it with sweat.. but a plan B wouldn't go astray.. + learn something eh..
Any help from smart people appreciated..

AJ

APJCOBRA

Joined Nov 18, 2022
Hi,
Unfortunately the car (VE commodore essentially) doesn't use flasher modules, it's controlled directly through the onboard computer (BCM).. hence the drama..
PS.. I tried all 6 indicators with incandescent lamps today.. still hyperflashes.. so I don't think it's a lamp wattage issue.. more like the BCM is monitoring something extra to the indicator lamps,, and I haven't addressed that (or know what that might be)
thanks
Anyway..
AJ

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Hi,
Unfortunately the car (VE commodore essentially) doesn't use flasher modules, it's controlled directly through the onboard computer (BCM).. hence the drama..
PS.. I tried all 6 indicators with incandescent lamps today.. still hyperflashes.. so I don't think it's a lamp wattage issue.. more like the BCM is monitoring something extra to the indicator lamps,, and I haven't addressed that (or know what that might be)
thanks
Anyway..
AJ
Well that being the case you could use something like this 12V retriggerable time delay relay. You'd just set it to deal for a little longer than the longest gap in the "normal" flasher output.

The first flash would turn it on and subsequent flashes would re-trigger it. When the flashing stopped, it would turn off after the delay interval. You'd connect this to a modern solid state flasher to get the flashing.

APJCOBRA

Joined Nov 18, 2022
Hi,
Will pick up a couple of these over x-mas....
Will mean re-wiring to each globe.. but so be it..
By the looks of it, the trigger is a short to GND, so I'll need to have the current indicator 12v pulses (long and fast (1.0sec-0.5sec)) triggering a small relay that shorts to GND on close, for each pulse..
Set the delay to 1.2 secs and it should keep outputting 12v constant till 1.2secs after the pulsing stops.. (indicator off)
that constant 12v output hitting a std indicator relay with a constant 1sec flash to each lamp...

2 of these (one for RHS and 1 for LHS..)
will advise how it goes..
thanks
AJ