Fixing a flickering colorful LED light string

MrIdo

Joined Jan 12, 2023
Hi Guys,
I love colorful LED light strings. I've been wanting to hand some around the house and finally got around to it.
I purchased a few that seemed high quality on the web and hung them around the house. The lights worked well at first, however they soon began malfunctioning. Basically the system has 8 modes. I want it to stay in the mode where the lights stay constant however for some reason every time I plug it in it starts switching modes after some time. I reset it time and again to the constant light mode - but it goes back to wander between the various other modes including many flickering modes which I find annoying.
What could be causing the problem in your opinion? I found this article claiming (if I understand correctly)that constant current may be a factor and that getting a constant LED driver might solve the issue. Does that seem probable or is there any other way of fixing the problem?
https://www.power-supplies-australi...t common cause of,types of LED lights require.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
found this article claiming (if I understand correctly)that constant current may be a factor and that getting a constant LED driver might solve the issue. Does that seem probable or is there any other way of fixing the problem?
No, adding a constant current driver would not only not solve the problem, but possibly not work at all or even cause damage.

The controller is already controlling the current. The problem is likely a bad design in the controller making it sensitive to electrical noise which triggers the mode changing function.

MrIdo

Joined Jan 12, 2023
Thank you for the reply. Is there anything that can be done to avoid throwing the whole thing away? And how can I make sure I get the right type of string with a better design next time I get a led light string?

MrIdo

Joined Jan 12, 2023
Thank you! Just to be sure, I'm attaching a picture of the connector. Where do I need to cut away the controler? The entire thing, or just the white part? here is a link to constant power suppliers, is this the sort of thing you meant? (https://www.power-supplies-australia.com.au/led-driver/constant-current) (also why the massive price differences?) and finally, how do i know the thing wakes up in the right mode I want it in, after i change the connector? thank you!

Attachments

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
The string of LEDs has programmable LEDs that need a controller to do anything.
I would have to agree. The addressable ones would have a 3 wire interface like this. A non-addressable RGB strip would have 4 wires. These are probably WS2812 LEDs, which need a controller signal to operate at all.

MrIdo

Joined Jan 12, 2023
I have the remote for the LED lights if that is what you mean by controller signal. does that help? (Also I should note that there is also a button on the controller itself that allow to turn on and switch between 8 modes). Is there still a way around this then? Many thanks!

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Are all of the lights on the strip the same color at any time or can they be be different colors? This would tell us what kind of strips are used.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Then it absolutely needs a sophisticated controller. Can you link to the product description, or post a photo of the strip? We might be able to find a different controller.

MrIdo

Joined Jan 12, 2023
Thanks again for the help everybody. I really appreciate.
From your answers it seems this led light string is beyond redemption.
Any advice on how I can make sure the next one I purchase won't give me the same kind of trouble?
I'm willing to pay more if there was some guarantee of quality but everything I find online seems of questionable quality