Fiber Optic Crimp Tool SC connector

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I'm getting some Harting Han Modular connectors for a cable that contains power conductors and some single mode fiber optics:

In the catalog for the fiber modules, it does not say what tool is needed to crimp the SC connector which goes inside the connector module:
scconn.png
scconn2.png

I called Harting to inquire and they said I need their own Harting fiber crimp tool P/N 20 99 000 1031 ($819). They could (or would) not provide any specs on the tool itself.

Of course, they would say I need to buy their 100X marked up ordinary fiber crimp tool. I'm 90% sure there's nothing special about it and I could buy the same thing from elsewhere. But I am not familiar enough with fiber widgets to know what to buy. I'm sure the trained eye could look at the above fiber connector data sheet and recognize a standard fiber connector and recommend a suitable tool. So do we have any of those trained eyes here?

I would appreciate any help on this matter.
Thank you,
Strantor.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Well at the very least I think I've found the "$820" tool and die set that Harting has rebranded. Here's the picture from their website:
hartingcrimper.png

I think it's a $179 Knipex 97 43 200:

with a $178 Knipex die set:

Total $357, for a savings of $463 over the one with the pretty Harting logo. Not too shabby, but I still have a feeling I can do better than that.

Any thoughts on whether something like this $68 universal fiber optic crimping tool would do the job?