Fatuous opinion

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Kind of ironic that, as it becomes obvious that electricity will become increasingly important, the world's best copper deposits are worked out.

Might be a good time to invest in bauxite mines.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Kind of ironic that, as it becomes obvious that electricity will become increasingly important, the world's best copper deposits are worked out.

Might be a good time to invest in bauxite mines.
Don't tell anyone but we have HUGE copper reserves here in Alaska!

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
War, the threat of war, or mere human survival has been instrumental in every scientific endeavor throughout history.

The race to the moon wasn't about getting there, it was about beating our competitors there. Losing the space race would have increased the threat of war. Even today, the threat of war ... from space weapons (originating on earth) ... plays in this nation's science. Recently we've shot down an inbound missle with another missle.

For those UFO types, if they are real, how does the human race survive an attack from them, if their intention was conquering the humans. Our egos think the government would be able to protect us ... and that would be a very unwise assumption. It would be us taking a knife to a gun fight. The aggressors would be victorious.
I can't argue that. It frustrates me to see various scifi movies and books assuming the government is so stupid as to piss off the visiting aliens. If they have the tech to get here they can take us out pretty easily, with what is off the shelf tech for them. The Day the Earth Stood Still (both versions) come to mind. If we have to fight, we will, and loose.

When HHO becomes cost effective, people will shift to that technology. Sure you will get some to shift when the price is high. It reminds me of the Kennedy who talks about the evils of using petroleum based fuels, then limo's over to his private jet and departs to lecture another group of humans. Good luck to those working on that endeavor as you have alot to overcome.

Water is already a high priced commodity where it is scarce ... how much will this drive up the cost of water?
I think we're safe on that issue. Water will become scarcer just from plain mismanagement overall though. Too many people wasting too much water. If energy were cheap then you can purify it (or suck it out of the air), the options increase dramatically. My bet is fussion, or something similar.

Last edited: