Exhaust valve actuator

Status
Not open for further replies.

BR1988

Joined Apr 14, 2021
I loaded the software from your link onto an Arduino uno. It runs at a frequency of 200 hz and give PWM values of 20% and 80%
This is easily changed to give 100 hz and 10% and 90% duty cycle by changing some values in the program.

Les.
Hi there Les,
So, what items do I need, is there a list you can make for me? Is it expensive?
Are the items in the picture as in the link at post #58?

it the arduino a item that will controle all the parts? And always needed in the system that I will build or when I duplicate it I can use something else or do I need a new arduino?

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
In the link there is a a list of the required components but the price from Jaycar seems expensive. (I assume the prices are in Australian dollars but I have not looked up the exchange rate to UK pounds or Euros.) One problem with the Arduno nano is there seems to be a large number of versions. Some (Like the one in the parts list) have a built in voltage regulator so they can be powered from 12 volts. Others would require ab external 5 volt regulator. There are also different versions of USB to serial converters used so they would not work with the Arduino IDE (Integrated development environment.) without downloading additional driver software.
There are alternatives to the Arduino but you would have to buy extra programming hardware and you would have to write software.
To make additional units you could use the Arduino Uno R3 that used the plug in version of the ATMEGA328P and program extra ATMEGA328Ps and use them in a board that you designed and built yourself. I was under the impression that you just wanted it as a cheap method to repair your car.

Les.

BR1988

Joined Apr 14, 2021
In the link there is a a list of the required components but the price from Jaycar seems expensive. (I assume the prices are in Australian dollars but I have not looked up the exchange rate to UK pounds or Euros.) One problem with the Arduno nano is there seems to be a large number of versions. Some (Like the one in the parts list) have a built in voltage regulator so they can be powered from 12 volts. Others would require ab external 5 volt regulator. There are also different versions of USB to serial converters used so they would not work with the Arduino IDE (Integrated development environment.) without downloading additional driver software.
There are alternatives to the Arduino but you would have to buy extra programming hardware and you would have to write software.
To make additional units you could use the Arduino Uno R3 that used the plug in version of the ATMEGA328P and program extra ATMEGA328Ps and use them in a board that you designed and built yourself. I was under the impression that you just wanted it as a cheap method to repair your car.

Les.
Hi Les,
Yes, I would want to do it the cheap way. But it must be and okay product so that it won’t fall apart, I want to put it in to a small box. So it’s nice and tide.
So you loaded the codes and could see this might work?
So iff I want to build this, i have to go with the product list in the link?
When I do find the correct Arduno nano what software do I need?
Could you help me with the code so I just have to load ore help me how to write it? What port do I need to load in the code on the Arduno nano
And the Arduno nano will be attached to a print board with all the other components and that wil make the system that I can use on the valve?
So what is step one?

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
The software code for the original design was provided in the link to the project.
I have attached the modified version as a .txt file. To use it in the Arduino IDE you will have to change the extension from .txt to .ino
This modified version gives a frequency of 100 hz and duty cycles of 10% and 90%
The push button on the original version toggles between the two PWM values each time the button is pressed.
In this version it uses s switch instead of a push button to select between the two PWM values. It could do with tidying up as I have just commented out some lines of code.
You can install the Arduino IDE on your computer and it will compile the code even without an Arduino connected to the USB port.
So you can get used to using it before you get an Arduino.

Les.

Attachments

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019

BR1988

Joined Apr 14, 2021
These little guys work with the Arduino IDE, they are exceedingly small, and have PWM. They can be a little fiddly to program in that you have to plug them in right after the upload begins, but they work and maybe the size is an advantage in this application:

https://www.amazon.com/Ximimark-Digispark-Kickstarter-ATTINY85-Development/dp/B07KVS4YGQ/

There are a lot of versions of these, this one seems decent but they vary in quality.
Do this one I the one to go for?
I saw that it has a onboard 5v regulator. Something Les told me that I had to watch out for because then I needed a separate 5v regulator but that’s not the issue in this one.
I did notice this:
  • Power via USB or External Source - 5v or 7-35v (12v or less recommended, automatic selection)
Does this means the external source can be max 12v? Because, when the car will start the +12v positive will go up to +14v and that may blow the printboard. Do I need a resistor on the positive line to reduce the power to about 10v so when the engine starts it will nog go above 12v?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Do this one I the one to go for?
I saw that it has a onboard 5v regulator. Something Les told me that I had to watch out for because then I needed a separate 5v regulator but that’s not the issue in this one.
I did notice this:
  • Power via USB or External Source - 5v or 7-35v (12v or less recommended, automatic selection)
Does this means the external source can be max 12v? Because, when the car will start the +12v positive will go up to +14v and that may blow the printboard. Do I need a resistor on the positive line to reduce the power to about 10v so when the engine starts it will nog go above 12v?
You could use a voltage divider on the input, it draws very little current. I would suggest you get something like an Arduino UNO to learn on and once you have the knowledge and the program working, you could port it. There will be a little additional learning to use the ATTiny85 board, and it’s probably a nice choice being so small, but you‘ll have fewer complications leaning to use the Arduino environment with an UNO.

BR1988

Joined Apr 14, 2021
Well i just downloaded the programm, and installed it.
i uploaded the file Les attached and behold this is what i see.
Arduino .JPG
May i ask why is there a internet adress involved in the code?

Step 1, download and install the program: Done.
Step 2, get the file, change the extension, upload it to arduino.
Step 3, upload the file.
Step 4, now i need to order my self a Arduino system, Yaakov adviced my the Mini ATTINY85, but then the UNO because i need to learn. I think i'll order both just in case. In line with this step i have to order a printboard and the other stuff thats on the link i checked.
Step 5, what will i do in this step?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Well i just downloaded the programm, and installed it.
i uploaded the file Les attached and behold this is what i see.
View attachment 235843
May i ask why is there a internet adress involved in the code?

Step 1, download and install the program: Done.
Step 2, get the file, change the extension, upload it to arduino.
Step 3, upload the file.
Step 4, now i need to order my self a Arduino system, Yaakov adviced my the Mini ATTINY85, but then the UNO because i need to learn. I think i'll order both just in case. In line with this step i have to order a printboard and the other stuff thats on the link i checked.
Step 5, what will i do in this step?
That's the address for the library code. The // preceding it means it is a comment, it's not a statement in the program.

BR1988

Joined Apr 14, 2021
That's the address for the library code. The // preceding it means it is a comment, it's not a statement in the program.
Okay, so // is a syntax for a comment.
I know SQL and there we use the - - statement single line or */ multi line.
Thanks for the info!

@Yaakov or Les
Are all the arduino uno the same? Or do I need to look for a specific one?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Okay, so // is a syntax for a comment.
I know SQL and there we use the - - statement single line or */ multi line.
Thanks for the info!

@Yaakov or Les
Are all the arduino uno the same? Or do I need to look for a specific one?
They are all the same, but, you should probably buy a genuine Arduino from a reputable vendor to ensure it will work as expected. There are many clones, but some are actually "Arduino". Sparkfun and Adafruit are two examples of good sources, but any of the large electronics retailers that stock Arduino is a good option.

BR1988

Joined Apr 14, 2021
I have searched the internet and i came across to the stuff below, wich one should i order?
First option is a starter kit price: €32 euro
Second one is this board. Price: €9,95 euro
3th is this one UNO Rev3. Price: €23,95 euro
4th is this one UNO R3. Price: €10,95 euro
5th is this one UNO Rev3. Price: €20,00 euro without tax. This is the official Arduino site.

Hope you can tell em what system to go for. My father (old electronic guru) had a testbench/board for me with some connectors also some tiny bits like resistors/transistors and some diode's and IC's.
But the first step is to go for the Arduino Uno, so tell me wich one?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I have searched the internet and i came across to the stuff below, wich one should i order?
First option is a starter kit price: €32 euro
Second one is this board. Price: €9,95 euro
3th is this one UNO Rev3. Price: €23,95 euro
4th is this one UNO R3. Price: €10,95 euro
5th is this one UNO Rev3. Price: €20,00 euro without tax. This is the official Arduino site.

Hope you can tell em what system to go for. My father (old electronic guru) had a testbench/board for me with some connectors also some tiny bits like resistors/transistors and some diode's and IC's.
But the first step is to go for the Arduino Uno, so tell me wich one?
There is probably nothing wrong, per se, with the Elegoo kit but it's a clone Arduino. Probably not a bad one, but watch out for trouble on account of it. There's this: https://www.amazon.nl/ARDUINO-2171188-K000007-Starter-Kit/dp/B00C9NWMYS/ which is much more expensive but is "official" and just so you know, when you buy Arduino brand stuff it's supporting the Arduino foundation and that's more for your money.

You could also get the Elegoo kit and pick up a real Arduino to "fortify" it...

The value of the kit is that you'll get some sensors and passives to make stuff for practice.

BR1988

Joined Apr 14, 2021
There is probably nothing wrong, per se, with the Elegoo kit but it's a clone Arduino. Probably not a bad one, but watch out for trouble on account of it. There's this: https://www.amazon.nl/ARDUINO-2171188-K000007-Starter-Kit/dp/B00C9NWMYS/ which is much more expensive but is "official" and just so you know, when you buy Arduino brand stuff it's supporting the Arduino foundation and that's more for your money.

You could also get the Elegoo kit and pick up a real Arduino to "fortify" it...

The value of the kit is that you'll get some sensors and passives to make stuff for practice.
Okay, but the 5th one should do fine then? It’s from the official arduino site.
okay I don’t get extra stuff but I don’t really need those. I have a test board/bench. Got some bridge cables.
I have some 12v motors and got 1RC servo and a bunch off small stuff.
I also ordered the stuff that was in the list of the guy.

or do I really have to spend €120 euros ?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Okay, but the 5th one should do fine then? It’s from the official arduino site.
okay I don’t get extra stuff but I don’t really need those. I have a test board/bench. Got some bridge cables.
I have some 12v motors and got 1RC servo and a bunch off small stuff.
I also ordered the stuff that was in the list of the guy.

or do I really have to spend €120 euros ?
No you don’t. But you might want to order a few more parts as you learn. The 5 th is fine!

BR1988

Joined Apr 14, 2021
Hi,
Received the product today and unpacked it immediately. I also immediately started working on the project book. I have now built and coded the spaceship interface there. It took a while to write the codes. Am used to SQL so had to see how and what and found out that some things are really case sensitive. I will go one step further, I also saw something with PWM in the project book. Maybe I should start building it before I continue with Less's code. I also have to buy the individual products I need.

9B5B003B-4C5A-4644-A4C1-CF64D8FAE3F0.jpeg

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
It's not my code. It's a slightly modified version from the link that you provided. I'm not sure if you want the two different PWM values (10% and 90%) selected by an on /off switch or to toggle between them with a push button. I am useless at programming in "C" so I have saved the assembler source code produced by the Arduino IDE as that make more sense to me. I have worked out that it is using 8 bit PWM so that the number that you enter to get the percentage value you want is 2.56 times the percentage value. So for 10% you enter 26 (Decimal) as that is the closest integer to 25.6) For 90% you enter 230 decimal. (The closest integer to 230.4)

Les.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Hi,
Received the product today and unpacked it immediately. I also immediately started working on the project book. I have now built and coded the spaceship interface there. It took a while to write the codes. Am used to SQL so had to see how and what and found out that some things are really case sensitive. I will go one step further, I also saw something with PWM in the project book. Maybe I should start building it before I continue with Less's code. I also have to buy the individual products I need.

View attachment 237093
It's fun stuff, isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.