Exclamation Help help my fellow good friends

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
Get a fresh start and post an attempted solution for each problem, no matter how wrong you think it may be. That way we can see where you are and where you need help. Otherwise it is difficult to help. You are not likely to learn from a fully solved problem handed to you.

If you do that, you will know how to solve this well before your exam date.

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
yes it is possible anyway but not everywhere, where am schooling (Nigeria) the standard matters allot so if there is help that is what i need now.
What "standard" are you talking about that matters so much?

sir, not that am here to explore my senior men's but to get what is need (help)
I have absolutely NO idea what you are trying to say here.

though i dont know most of the steps here for possible help that's why.
But you stubbornly refuse to apply ANY of the steps. You have been asked time and time again to show SOMETHING, ANYTHING that is an attempt to even start solving the problem, be it right, wrong or otherwise. You were asked several times to provide a diagram, and you won't. I provided a diagram for you and asked very simple questions and you completely ignored them.

We are more than willing to help, but you refuse to give us anything with which to work. We will NOT simply do your homework for you. That, at least, should be pretty obvious by now.

i think it will not be wise if one trow away a child together with s bow because the water is dirty.

Red Herring. There's no sign of any child in the bowl. Show an attempt, and that will be evidence of something in there that's worth not throwing out.

Copying from my response in one of the other threads you started on this topic:

Then draw one! It doesn't have to be fancy. For instance, for the first question, see the attached file '2batt.png'.

It's very difficult to give any kind of explanation without either seeing how you are approaching the problem or having any idea about what techniques you are familiar with.

Both problems are readily solved using KVL and KCL.

For the first one:

Q1) What is Ic in terms of Ia and Ib?

Q2) What is Vd in terms of the battery voltage and current for Battery A?

Q3) What is Vd in terms of the battery voltage and current for Battery B?

Q4) What is Vd in terms of the battery voltage and current for the load resistor?

Q5) What do you know about all of the answers to Q2, Q3, and Q4 relative to each other?
Is it really too much to ask that you at least make some effort to attempt to answer at least the first question in this list?

Attachments

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Presumably no racial slur intended....?
Come on now, that could only be accurately twisted to infer a subcontinental slur. India is not a race.

It's hard to deny that the Indian college students run a high rate of being the people asking these type of questions.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Presumably no racial slur intended....?
I admit that I was a bit curious as well, but then there are some backgrounds (military tech school, civilian opportunity school, engineering program, hobbyist) that, if I know about them, frequently seem to let me make some useful assumptions about which ways of explaining things might be good to try first. So I assumed that perhaps he had seen enough posts out of India that he had a feel for how the material is taught there.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
It's hard to deny that the Indian college students run a high rate of being the people asking these type of questions.
I don't know if I can deny that or not. More to the point, I don't know that I can claim that a given Indian student has any higher likelihood of asking this type of question. Assuming that a high fraction of these questions are from Indian students (I don't know, one way or the other), then I would suggest that a number of factors are probably at play:

India has an aggressive science and technology program, so there are simply a lot of Indian electrical engineering students.

India has a high level of internet connectivity, so there is a greater likelihood that an Indian electrical engineering student will have easy access to the forum.

India has a high fraction of people that speak English, so there is a very high likelihood that an Indian electrical engineering student will be able to interact on the forum once they access it.

Now, there may well be cultural factors at play, as well. Perhaps Indian students are more willing to ask questions, particularly in an open forum, than students from other cultures. Perhaps Indian engineering schools, as a rule, fail to teach some of the core fundamentals as well as other countries, meaning that more Indian students need help. Perhaps Indian schools do a poor job of failing students that aren't getting it. I don't know to what degree any of these might be the case.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
To get an idea of the quality of education in India, the University of Bangalore has a youtube channel with nearly 10,000 video taped lectures. I have watched several of them. Good stuff. I don't know if all universities in India are comparable.

I didn't give much thought to any of the scenarios you mentioned before making the comment. The comment was driven by seeing countless individuals post questions like "I'm a 4th year engineering student and I have to make a project. Please help meee!!!" only to find out that they have no concept of Ohm's law, and that they are from India.

Now that I read the scenarios you've brought up, I have considered them, and I am just as clueless as to the reason as before.

EDIT: the youtube channel I linked to actually has lectures from several universities across India, not just University of Bangalore.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I don't know if all universities in India are comparable.
With roughly four times the population of the U.S. (another thing to consider in why so many posts seem to come from there), I imagine that the quality of the schools has to vary a great deal, no matter how tightly regulated they might try to make them. Just look at the huge variability in programs in any one state in the U.S.

I tried to find out some information and quickly found some pretty sobering things. For instance:

India Graduates Millions, but Too Few Are Fit to Hire

The descriptions of some of the attitudes are distressingly similar to some of the things I saw at a for-profit university here in the U.S., so unfortunately I have no problem accepting that the situation may well be as bad as stated.

But, in the end, I don't care. I'm willing to bend over backwards to help a student learn as long as they are willing to show a willingness and desire to learn. If I don't see that, then I WANT them to fail because part of my responsibility to my profession is NOT to help people that will only add to the sea of incompetent engineers.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
A University in Nigeria??!
List of Universities in Nigeria

According to this, there are 10 federally funded universities and colleges and 10 more state funded ones (there are 36 states in Nigeria in addition to the capital district), plus a number of private ones.

I have no idea how many EE or similar programs are offered. At the University of Nigeria (33,000 students), the EE program claims to consistently produce the top graduate of the entire university. That may or may not be saying something, I just don't know.

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
I claim no moral high ground in regard to my own position as a citizen of a country [Australia] which has treated Indian student residents quite badly in recent times.

I am disturbed by what happened here and the consequences for our education sector economy has been dramatic to say the least.

I have no knowledge of the education system in India or any other country for that matter, so I can't comment on the quality of education on the sub-continent.

What I do know is that I have had several Indian professional colleagues over my working life. In the main they were an absolute pleasure to work with - most of them smarter than yours truly.

Also - maybe our OP has now copped enough derision to satisfy our indignation.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
With roughly four times the population of the U.S. (another thing to consider in why so many posts seem to come from there),
Yes, I have considered that in the past. My mind came back with "well then why don't we have any regular forum members from India?" and "Why does every person from India come, ask one question, then leave for good?"

I tried to find out some information and quickly found some pretty sobering things. For instance:

India Graduates Millions, but Too Few Are Fit to Hire
Wow, you are diligent. I never became so interested that I researched about it, but now I am. The article really is sobering, and confirms my suspicions. Actually, it sounds worse than I suspected.
From the article:
Mr. Singh and several other engineering graduates said they learned quickly that they needn't bother to go to some classes. "The faculty take it very casually, and the students take it very casually, like they've all agreed not to be bothered too much," Mr. Singh says. He says he routinely missed a couple of days of classes a week, and it took just three or four days of cramming from the textbook at the end of the semester to pass the exams.
But, in the end, I don't care. I'm willing to bend over backwards to help a student learn as long as they are willing to show a willingness and desire to learn. If I don't see that, then I WANT them to fail because part of my responsibility to my profession is NOT to help people that will only add to the sea of incompetent engineers.
That's a good attitude to have, and I totally agree. I don't withhold help from anybody just because of where on the planet I think they are. Never. I wouldn't help anybody who doesn't want to learn though, and that's my observation of these hit & run posters from India; they don't want to learn. They want you to do the work for them and then they go.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I claim no moral high ground in regard to my own position as a citizen of a country [Australia] which has treated Indian student residents quite badly in recent times.

I am disturbed by what happened here and the consequences for our education sector economy has been dramatic to say the least.

I have no knowledge of the education system in India or any other country for that matter, so I can't comment on the quality of education on the sub-continent.

What I do know is that I have had several Indian professional colleagues over my working life. In the main they were an absolute pleasure to work with - most of them smarter than yours truly.

Also - maybe our OP has now copped enough derision to satisfy our indignation.
Did this just become personal? My original comment may have been slightly deriding but I can't put a finger on which post I became indignant. Every post since has been an attempt to explain the observation I've made. I wasn't in a quest belittle anybody.

I've also worked with people from India. Actually my last manager was, the lead engineer here is, and there are a few other engineers here that are. I worked with some techs in Singapore from India. My assessment of their level of education is that it's hit & miss. Our lead engineer is a super educated super genius. Everybody else was on par or only slightly below where I would expect, and the two techs I worked with (had engineering degrees) were absolutely dangerous to assign any task.

I have no idea how many EE or similar programs are offered. At the University of Nigeria (33,000 students), the EE program claims to consistently produce the top graduate of the entire university. That may or may not be saying something, I just don't know.
I've also worked with guys from Nigeria, and they were better educated and more well spoken than anybody I've met from another country.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Did this just become personal?
I think he was talking more about all the grief throughout the first part of this thread concerning how he posted his question (big red letters) than anything else.

To some degree the discussion in the last page or so has effectively hijacked the thread, but that happens as discussions meander (and especially when the OP isn't actively pulling the discussion back on point).

Hopefully we have also successfully conveyed the point that if he is willing to show some effort, we will be more than willing to help him. It does appear, unfortunately, the there is a real disconnect on what is meant by 'help'.

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
I misread that to say "your" and assumed it was directed at me, so I may have taken it personally a little bit. my bad. Sorry.
No need to apologize. I was being lazy and should have taken more care as to my intended meaning. Indeed I was rather hoping the "demanding animal" references had run their course.

Interesting how careful one has to be with words. Sometimes they can be become "flaming arrows".

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Interesting how careful one has to be with words.
Isn't it, though?

A lot of it stems from only having the written words and not having the tone of voice or the body language or knowing what words were being emphasized in the writer's mind. I have gotten a lot better, but I know that I still take insult a bit too quickly. Sometimes I'll read a post and it seems certain that there is only one possible way to read it, when it is more a matter of having impressed my first reaction so deeply that I cannot separate the words from the tone that I first read them with. What's more amazing (and frustrating) is that as soon as they say, "Hey, that was meant this way....", I am able to immediately reread it with the corresponding tone and see exactly how it was a reasonable way of expressing the intended thought.

I've also gotten better, but not really good, at writing posts so that it is harder to misread them as insults too easily. For instance, I tend to write and speak using a generic "you" and assume that the person I am responding to will understand that. But I've realized that, in a voice conversation, there are simply a ton of subtle clues that tell the listener that I am not directing the "you" at them personally or specifically, but that it is just referring to a generic person. For instance, in the last paragraph I originally used "you" instead of "I" but went back and changed them all (the same in this paragraph). That saves a LOT of miscommunication, but I am simply not very good about employing it consistently. When I use "I" and "me" I have always tended to mean what I am saying to apply specifically and directly to me, so it is unnatural to use it to describe a generic situation. But it does seem valid and it does seem to work better.