ESP 32 s3 Pregaming space

micropad

Joined Dec 24, 2011
Hi
I am using ESP32 S3 MODUE ( Not a development board).
I want to continuously keep turn on WiFi even thought program flash space uploaded with new program then and there.

Please advise

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
Wi-Fi gets turned off when the USB bootloader is started. Even if you use the OTA (over-the-air) WiFi bootloader it appears to get turned off when the chip resets to start your new software. The only way round this, I think, is to write your own program handler that can load new routines and patch them in, in real time. I don't think anyone has done that yet for the ESP32 having quickly scanned Github.

micropad

Joined Dec 24, 2011
Wi-Fi gets turned off when the USB bootloader is started. Even if you use the OTA (over-the-air) WiFi bootloader it appears to get turned off when the chip resets to start your new software. The only way round this, I think, is to write your own program handler that can load new routines and patch them in, in real time. I don't think anyone has done that yet for the ESP32 having quickly scanned Github.
HI Thanks for reply

It doesn't matter WiFi turn off during the uploading the new code and USB bootloader is started. After restart WiFi to be reconnected

Please advise
Thanks

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
The only way round this, I think, is to write your own program handler that can load new routines and patch them in, in real time. I don't think anyone has done that yet for the ESP32 having quickly scanned Github.
While this is theoretically possible, it seems extremely brittle and hard to make failsafe. I have to wonder why this is necessary. If there is new firmware, what will the WiFi be communicating with until it is running?

If you kept one core as the supervisor, handling WiFi and critical timing, and used external flash, it would seem you could have the other core just be a sort of client to the supervisor that would update the flash and reset the client core to start the new firmware.

micropad

Joined Dec 24, 2011
While this is theoretically possible, it seems extremely brittle and hard to make failsafe. I have to wonder why this is necessary. If there is new firmware, what will the WiFi be communicating with until it is running?

If you kept one core as the supervisor, handling WiFi and critical timing, and used external flash, it would seem you could have the other core just be a sort of client to the supervisor that would update the flash and reset the client core to start the new firmware.
Yes You are correct
But in my case when I upload new code then WiFi disable . But it is obvious when I upload new code then WiFi scan Code overwrite and WiFi disable

Can I able to upload WiFi scan code to one partition and keep it continuously WiFi reconnect when esp restart

and another partition or first boots pace for upload new codes without effecting WiFi scan codes

Please advise
Thanks in advanced

Last edited:

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
In theory the two partitions could be running completely independently though core0 has some supervisory functions. Certainly you could have all your WiFi routines in core0 and your gane code in core1 then only update core1 but i think you'll have to roll your own. I don't know how you reset core1 without a general chip reset.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Yes You are correct
But in my case when I upload new code then WiFi disable . But it is obvious when I upload new code then WiFi scan Code overwrite and WiFi disable

Can I able to upload WiFi scan code to one partition and keep it continuously WiFi reconnect when esp restart

and another partition or first boots pace for upload new codes without effecting WiFi scan codes

Please advise
Thanks in advanced
While I can’t help with specifics, I can tell you that the Arduino bootloader allows programs to be uploaded and immediately use the WiFi. Perhaps you just need a small bootloader that isn’t overwritten.

micropad

Joined Dec 24, 2011
In theory the two partitions could be running completely independently though core0 has some supervisory functions. Certainly you could have all your WiFi routines in core0 and your gane code in core1 then only update core1 but i think you'll have to roll your own. I don't know how you reset core1 without a general chip reset.
It doesn't matter any kind of reset if core0 code doesn't erase
Still I don't know how may I upload the codes to core1 without effecting codes in core0

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016