Energy in camping- ideas

Motanache

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Please help me find some form of energy for my laptop, tablet.......Without home power plug.

I had a lot of ideas among them:
1. Solar panel. I bought a solar panel the size of an A4 sheet.
I was very disappointed with him:
- It has 5W but this only when the sun is 90 degrees from the horizon and there are no clouds
- On the back he writes efficiency 4%. I mean, I need to be lit with 100W light to get 5W?
And that for a specific color. Imagine what a 100W LED means to make an idea how much light it needs to produce 5W.
Where can I find a solar panel with efficiency 20%?

2. Some pedals with a dynamo

3. Stirling motor + dynamo and fire with a lighter

Please help me estimate the efficiency of each method

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
If it is 4% efficient, it would need to be lit with 125 W in order to produce 5W out.

Have you tried, perhaps, searching for something like, oh, maybe "solar panel efficiency" and looking at the various links offered?

I agree with wayneh. If you want to go camping, go camping. If you want to be tied to your damn laptop, stay home.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
First you really need to determine what power your laptop tablet actually requires? Before knowing exactly what you need plus a margin there is no way you can figure out what to use to fill the need. My laptop, a 3 day older than dirt Dell Workstation requires 19.5 VDC @ 6.5 Amps and I need about a 150 Watt supply to run the thing. My Tablet is a Ellipsis (Samsung) running an Android OS at 5 VDC and would likely run a few weeks on my truck USB adapter drawing a few hundred mA @ % VDC. You need to figure out your requirments in some detail, then worry about alternate power.

Leave the laptop at home and enjoy camping away from it. 100% efficiency.
Actually I agree with that. My last trip I left the laptop at home and using my phone sent my wife a few emails consisting of I got here, I am fine and see you in a few weeks. Best trip I have ever had. :)

Ron

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
If you are going in a vehicle then you could utilise the alternator/battery in that. I would recommend having a second battery charged by the vehicle (I believe you need a diode module to do that - not sure), that way you can disconnect the second battery to power external stuff safe in the knowledge that even if you flatten it you will still be able to start the vehicle.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
If I have an idea you suggest is useless.
Everyone's different. The best I can offer here is an honest opinion. I've done a fair amount of camping over 5 decades and in my opinion, modern electronic devices detract from the experience. (Cameras excluded!).

It takes a lot of time, money and effort to get myself onto a mountain somewhere. I've watched it "raining fire in the sky", the Perseid meteor shower with family and friends, from our camp at 11,500' elevation. We've hiked the nearby peaks which range ~13,000' to over 14,000', braving hail storms and lightning in mid-summer. We've bathed in ice-cold mountain streams. These are precious and brief experiences. I'm thankful there has never been cell service, electricity, a decent access road, or even running water at these locations.

If it was me, and I was not backpacking, I'd follow @AlbertHall 's advice in #6. Whenever I've absolutely needed electricity in camp, I've just gone to the car. But it's scary to risk drawing down the start battery when you're that far into the wilderness. I would never backpack with a laptop!

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
While off topic I caught a short story on the morning news about McDonalds. Apparently the McDonalds restaurant in Singapore has adopted a cell phone locker where people may store their cell phones or other electronic devices on entry in a locker so they can spend quality time together. While I do not see McDonalds as a quality dinner restaurant I like the concept. People have developed an addiction to their electronic media devices leaving me wondering how we ever evolved before we had the things?

Back on topic, you need to know your power demands before you worry about meeting that demand.

Ron

Motanache

Joined Mar 2, 2015
I can make an estimate:
Laptop battery 3*3.7V=11V and 4Ah for......2h
44Wh...........2h =>22W
Tablet 3.7V and 4Ah for ...3h
11Wh for...3h => 3W

Depending on what solutions you are helping me to find I have the corresponding option.

Lyonspride

Joined Jan 6, 2014
Leave the laptop at home, use the tablet to access the laptop via remote desktop.

Your not going to find a portable solution for running a laptop in the middle of nowhere.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I have given some thought to buying one of those just to play around with. The downside becomes the size and weight. Pretty quick they become impractical if hiking is involved. Today it seems "camping" involves driving a huge RV to a spot and dragging all the conveniences and comforts of home along. :)

When I do travel I just toss my tablet in the truck as it does everything I could need. The tablet battery is a 3.7 Volt 4,000 mA hour battery easily charged off my truck and the thing runs a long time on a single charge.

Ron

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
But then you have to take an olympic cyclist with you on your camping trip.
More camping, more training. More training, more computer time. More computer time, less training. At some point the user will reach a balancing point where he will use the laptop some of the time, generate power some of the time and recover the rest of the time. Sorry, no hiking or rafting or parasailing or anything else.

Better yet, just leave the LT home. Learn to unplug. Geez! When I grew up, if I wanted to talk to a friend either I went in the house and picked up this device that had a dial on the front of it. You poked one of the holes and swung it around clockwise to a finger stop and then let it go. Did that six more times and another device equipped with real brass bells would ring. At the other end a person would pick it up, say hello, who is this? Who do you want to talk to? Alan? He's not home right now. Call back later. OR you walked down the street and knocked on this big wooden rectangular thing on the front of the house (called a door).

When we weren't talking we were chasing rabbits in the hills, building giant kites, riding bicycles and playing football in the street. When we got older we started messing with cars and girls. When we graduated high school (we had more time for study) we went into the workforce and started paying our own bills. Eventually we went to some place where we met our spouse and got married.

With the internet you can study - meet girls - talk to them and do all kinds of stuff. But you can't touch them. And sometimes on the internet you may think you're talking to some hot chick but it's really an FBI agent pretending to be a hot 15 year old. Guess where that leads.

Best advice you've gotten came in post #2. Leave the darn thing home. Go spot grizlybears, elk, moose, deer, big horn sheep. Go see geysers, boiling mud pots, lakes located off the beaten path, caves, rivers and canyons. Go rafting. See REAL people in the wild, along with other wildlife like otters, eagles, salmon and many other living things.

GEEZ! You kids and your laptops and smart phones. All that stuff may put information at your fingertips, but the true seat of knowledge is in the brain and not on your screen.

Motanache

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Leave the laptop at home and enjoy camping away from it. 100% efficiency.
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/energy-in-camping-ideas.141153/
I even had soldering iron on batteries. It works well only with rechargeable battery that have little internal resistance.
I have people who care for to annoy me on vacation.
The electronic parts and work make me forget this.

And sometimes on the internet you may think you're talking to some hot chick but it's really an FBI agent pretending to be a hot
Why can not a FBI agent be a good looking 20+ years old babe?

Now seriously: What's happening to me on the Internet It's just a small part of what happened to me In reality.

If I post on facebook I felt good on that day, and where I am it can be seen from the pictures, in the evenings a crazy man appears to be angry with me.
Why?
Because with a mad man you can not talk normally and you look crazy.

Last edited: