energy consumed by arduino (uno type)?

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
The older Uno R3 draws about 200 mA when it is idling with no inputs or outputs connected. The newer version with the small square processor chip draws about 150 mA. These values will vary +/- 20 mA between different Arduinos of the same type, depending on what software is loaded. The total current will be higher if outputs are connected to loads which draw current.
I hope this helps.
Keith

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Based on your question, I gather that your problem is actually a simplistic one.

Start with 45mA. Add 20mA for each pin in use. Is total more than 200mA? Then your system may not work. Otherwise, the total is a rough estimate answer to your question.

Another approach is using the maximum current the Arduino Uno will use. 200mA. Otherwise, a complete current draw analysis is necessary as well as a plan to shut down unneeded resources.

My guess is that 200mA is good enough.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
The older Uno R3 draws about 200 mA when it is idling with no inputs or outputs connected. The newer version with the small square processor chip draws about 150 mA. These values will vary +/- 20 mA between different Arduinos of the same type, depending on what software is loaded. The total current will be higher if outputs are connected to loads which draw current.
I hope this helps.
Keith
I suspect your answer is wrong. The maximum current into an ATMega328 is 200mA total. Using this as it’s idle current implies the Arduino can’t do anything. The Arduino Uno draws 45mA idling. Each pin can supply 40mA but design calls for 20mA. Hence, an average is 10 LEDs at 20mA can be driven.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
I suspect your answer is wrong. The maximum current into an ATMega328 is 200mA total. Using this as it’s idle current implies the Arduino can’t do anything. The Arduino Uno draws 45mA idling. Each pin can supply 40mA but design calls for 20mA. Hence, an average is 10 LEDs at 20mA can be driven.
I stand corrected.
I measured the current on two older Uno R3 and two newer ones with the smaller processor chip. I am surprised and very lucky that I didn't blow all four of them. I just realized that my patch panel was connected to the variable supply output, set at +10 volts instead of the fixed 5 volt output. I checked their functionality and they all still work !!!
When they are connected to the 5 volt supply, the older R3s drew 43 ma and the newer ones 23 ma.
Thank you for pointing out my mistake. I could have done some real damage there. I guess that's what happens when you get old!
Regards,
Keith

MAINAHNOUD

Joined Jul 24, 2019
I hope this helps.
Keith
Is the idle mode as standby mode?

MAINAHNOUD

Joined Jul 24, 2019
I stand corrected.
I measured the current on two older Uno R3 and two newer ones with the smaller processor chip. I am surprised and very lucky that I didn't blow all four of them. I just realized that my patch panel was connected to the variable supply output, set at +10 volts instead of the fixed 5 volt output. I checked their functionality and they all still work !!!
When they are connected to the 5 volt supply, the older R3s drew 43 ma and the newer ones 23 ma.
Thank you for pointing out my mistake. I could have done some real damage there. I guess that's what happens when you get old!
Regards,
Keith
The idle current is 45 or 23mA?

MAINAHNOUD

Joined Jul 24, 2019
As I posted above, the one with the large dip processor took 43 mA and the one with the surface mount processor took 23 mA. It depends on which one you have.
Regards,
Keith
View attachment 210350
The idle current in this data sheet
As I posted above, the one with the large dip processor took 43 mA and the one with the surface mount processor took 23 mA. It depends on which one you have.
Regards,
Keith
View attachment 210350
Regards,
Keith
View attachment 210350
This datasheet which I used, so is current 40 as in data sheet current per I/O?

Also, if yes then power in idle mode is 40mA * (7v as input voltage in data sheet)?

Attachments

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
The current in the data sheet for the I/O data pins is the maximum current it can supply without being overloaded. The actual current per I/O pin will depend on what is connected to them when your program activates them.

MAINAHNOUD

Joined Jul 24, 2019
The current in the data sheet for the I/O data pins is the maximum current it can supply without being overloaded. The actual current per I/O pin will depend on what is connected to them when your program activates them.
So, where I find idle current in data sheet?
Or, it calculated experimental