emitter follower buffer issue

Fluxor1964

Joined Jun 11, 2015
ok I made a mistake, this circuit isn't working after all.....

I have a pulse that somewhat resembles a square wave coming from pin 1 of the op amp, I feed it into the 2N3904 acting as a buffer
so I can drive an LED from the collector for the rest of my circuit (not shown).

Although I have this pulse on the op amp side of the resistor, I have absolutely nothing on the collector?.....shouldn't I see
the pulse on the collector as well?

my ground position is the middle horizontal line on the scope so my pulse is actually starting at around 1.7 volts at it's lowest point
and rises to around 8.4v at it's highest point, the scope vertical says 500mv per division but it is actually 5v per division, I have only had the scope 2 weeks and I need to learn how to use the thing and set it up so that it reads properly.

any help would be welcome as I am close to giving up and growing vegetables instead :)

Neil.

Attachments

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
The output from the opamp never goes low enough to allow the transistor to switch off. Make the 1k resistor 10k and add a 2k2 resistor between the base and emitter.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
......so my pulse is actually starting at around 1.7 volts at it's lowest point
You need to better understand transistors.
How do expect 1.7V to turn the transistor off?
That voltage will keep the transistor on, as the base-emitter voltage of a BJT is about 0.7V when on.
You need get the base voltage below 0.6V to turn it off.
Try putting a 5kΩ in series with the base, in place of the 1kΩ, and add a 2kΩ resistor from the base to ground.

Here's an Ltspice simulation of that:
Notice that the OFF base voltage, V(b) is now below 0.5V.

Incidentally, that's not an emitter follower circuit, it's a common-emitter.

upload_2017-3-12_13-7-51.png

Last edited:

Fluxor1964

Joined Jun 11, 2015
Yes, my current knowledge of transistors is very limited, after I have finished my current project I intend to teach myself analogue electronics, until then I need help.

Thank you.

Neil.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Yes, my current knowledge of transistors is very limited, after I have finished my current project I intend to teach myself analogue electronics, until then I need help.
Okay, I can understand that.
But in the meantime you shouldn't be surprised that circuits you throw together don't work as you think they should. :rolleyes:

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
If you tie the collector directly to the 9 V, and put the LED and its current limiting resistor between the emitter and GND, that will be an actual emitter follower and will do what you probably want.

Or leave the resistor in the collector leg, and put just the LED between the emitter and GND. Either way, the LED will flash when the opamp output is high.

ak

Fluxor1964

Joined Jun 11, 2015
Okay, I can understand that.
But in the meantime you shouldn't be surprised that circuits you throw together don't work as you think they should. :rolleyes:
Can you point me in the direction of a webpage or something I can read transistor theory with some experiments?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Can you point me in the direction of a webpage or something I can read transistor theory with some experiments?
For starters, go to the top of this page and click on Textbooks.
There's a lot of material to cover but I don't know of any shortcuts to learning electronics.
Any questions, feel free to post here and we'll do our best to answer them.
Good luck. :D

Last edited:

Fluxor1964

Joined Jun 11, 2015
ok so I replaced the 1k with a 10k and fitted a 2k2 from the base of the transistor to the emitter
and nearly peed my pants with excitement when I turned on the power and my LED sprang to life slowely winking at me.

next step is to finish building the tremolo unit for my guitar of which this circuit is a part then I am going to
get some transistor theory under my belt.....thoroughly fascinated now!

Thankyou so much for all your help guys, I am delighted :)

Neil.