Electrical spigot?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by OneMoreThing, Nov 10, 2014.

  1. OneMoreThing

    Thread Starter New Member

    Nov 10, 2014

    Is there a way to limit the current being supplied to a circuit? I don't mean a fuse or a relay which cuts it off, but something more like a spigot.

    Why? I have a 15 amp limit on a socket and I want to be able to run a 20 amps load of stuff, but I'm ok with part of it being "starved" to just 10 amps.

    More specifically, let's say I have a X and a Y that each draw 1kw. I'd like the ability to flip a switch to leave X alone but limit Y to 500W. Ideally a gizmo that I can plug into the wall inline with Y.

    Y is moderately voltage sensitive but not at all current sensitive - it's an induction cooktop with a digital control that doesn't let me accurately say "just 500W for now please" - my KillAWatt yoyos from 300W to 1000W.

    I'm hoping there is an answer other than "put in a new circuit" or "get a new induction cooktop".

    Is there a $9.95 As Seen on TV thing my google-fu fails to turn up on Amazon or what?

  2. OneMoreThing

    Thread Starter New Member

    Nov 10, 2014
    This reply was to wrong thread, the above question is legit though.
  3. MaxHeadRoom


    Jul 18, 2013
    The possibility of lowering the voltage appears out being a digitally controlled unit, if it were a rather ordinary benign electrical element you may have had a better chance.
    Induction units are generally full on or full off, and the heat is controlled by time periods.
    Maybe more on the Cooktop may help.