Electrical spigot?

OneMoreThing

Joined Nov 10, 2014
Hey,

Is there a way to limit the current being supplied to a circuit? I don't mean a fuse or a relay which cuts it off, but something more like a spigot.

Why? I have a 15 amp limit on a socket and I want to be able to run a 20 amps load of stuff, but I'm ok with part of it being "starved" to just 10 amps.

More specifically, let's say I have a X and a Y that each draw 1kw. I'd like the ability to flip a switch to leave X alone but limit Y to 500W. Ideally a gizmo that I can plug into the wall inline with Y.

Y is moderately voltage sensitive but not at all current sensitive - it's an induction cooktop with a digital control that doesn't let me accurately say "just 500W for now please" - my KillAWatt yoyos from 300W to 1000W.

I'm hoping there is an answer other than "put in a new circuit" or "get a new induction cooktop".

Is there a $9.95 As Seen on TV thing my google-fu fails to turn up on Amazon or what?

Thanks.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The possibility of lowering the voltage appears out being a digitally controlled unit, if it were a rather ordinary benign electrical element you may have had a better chance.
Induction units are generally full on or full off, and the heat is controlled by time periods.
Maybe more on the Cooktop may help.
Max.