electrical house wiring

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi,

Not to be overly technical, but electrical work and electronics are not well-related. Especially when you consider the grunt work of actually doing the wiring runs, setting the breaker panel, and so on.

Try a local library for some how-to books. I've gone through the Popular Mechanics title, and found it useful. Otherwise, see if you can follow an electrician around for a few days at a job site. That can give you a good feel for how it is done. For serious class work, dealing with the NEC can be pretty intense. Just remember that some compromise between theory (NEC) and practise often happens.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Originally posted by beenthere+Feb 27 2006, 11:06 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(beenthere @ Feb 27 2006, 11:06 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Not to be overly technical, but electrical work and electronics are not well-related. Especially when you consider the grunt work of actually doing the wiring runs, setting the breaker panel, and so on.
[post=14416]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b]

I resemble that remark! (Grunt! Grunt!) Don't forget "crawling around under the floorboards and up in the attic!"

<!--QuoteBegin-beenthere
@Feb 27 2006, 11:06 AM
Just remember that some compromise between theory (NEC) and practise often happens.
[post=14416]Quoted post[/post]​
[/quote]
The NEC is not theory, it is code.

Article 90-1 (a) "The purpose of this Code is the practical safeguarding of persons and property from hazards arising from the use of electricity."

Article 90-1 © "This Code is not inteded as a design specification nor an instruciton manual for untrained persons."

A good residential wiring course needs at least two textbooks, the NEC and a theory book. Delmar's Standard Textbook of Electricity is a good choice.

If this is for apprenticeship training, then it would be wise to include lectures on proper dress (layers in cold months, raingear), meals (good nutrition is important to hard work in cold weather), and other good-to-know-early practical matters.

Safety, of course, is paramount. This includes not only proper wiring, but proper lifting, proper tool use, lock-out/tag-out, and much more. This is true for both pro's and home-owners.

Iban, where will you be teaching? Will your students be apprentices or lay-persons?

chesart1

Joined Jan 23, 2006
Hi,

An electrical house wiring course for the lay person should include actual wiring. For this purpose you could provide each student with a large sheet of wood and have the student wire up circuits using conduit, thin wall, romex, etc. on the sheet of wood.

The student should also receive a detailed explanation of how to deal with a wall containing wallpaper. Another words, how does one start cutting the hole for an outlet or switch knowing that a mistake in cutting the hole is not easily repairable.

In summary, any good course in electrical house wiring includes not only theory and NEC but also some practical experience.

I took electrical at Bullard Havens Vocational High School in 1961 - 1965. In the sophmore year we wired up circuits in a wooden booth using bx cable. In the junior year we went out and wired homes. In the senior year we studied the NEC.
We studied electrical theory during each of the three years.

John

iban

Joined Feb 27, 2006
i am from the rep. of maldives. i have just started a mobile center by the name Maldives Livelihood Development Center (MLDC). almost every one knows maldives is made up of around 2000 small islands seporated by sea out of which only around 200 are inhabited. the everage population of these islands are from 500 to 1500 peaple, that men, woman and childred.

the purpose of my training center is to conduct short term competency courses to these communities, so to help them achieve better jobs from the tourism sector. i conduct all my trainings for free and in local language.

i have finished making a syllabous for three levels of electrical house wiring courses. i need some to check my work and make lesson to cover the syllabous.

if u want to see the syllabous i can send you.

regards
iban

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi,

That sounds like a good project. One question, though - do we have common standards and practices? In the USA, utility power is 60 Hz, single phase 120 volts. What standards apply in the Maldives? I'm making some equipment that will travel to India, so it has to run on 240 volts, and use a vastly different power connector from the standard here. I have no idea what the wiring code is.

iban

Joined Feb 27, 2006
we do not have a wiring code yet. it is in the making now. we are following part of the australian and some europeon codes. only recently we received a trial building code.

our power supply is 220 to 230 V 50 Hz single phase and 380 to 400 V 50 Hz for three phase.

do u thing u may help me in any way

regrds
iban

Erin G.

Joined Mar 3, 2005
Originally posted by iban@Mar 3 2006, 08:43 AM
we do not have a wiring code yet. it is in the making now. we are following part of the australian and some europeon codes. only recently we received a trial building code.

our power supply is 220 to 230 V 50 Hz single phase and 380 to 400 V 50 Hz for three phase.

do u thing u may help me in any way

regrds
iban
[post=14568]Quoted post[/post]​

I teach a course here in the US. Send me your material and I'll look it over for you.

erin.reunion@hotmail.com