Heller Ceiling fan light remove from dimmer?

CHRY

Joined Dec 26, 2023
have a heller sienna ceiling fan in my roof which has a remote connected which can dim the light and change the fan speed. I have recently purchases a smart bulb which I want to go in there. To do this, I want to remove it completely from the dimmer so when the light switch is on, the light gets power, but the fan still uses the remote control. This is because of its voltage requirement. After taking it down and looking at the wires, there is a Live and neutral going into the remote dimmer, and it outputs a neutral, fan, and light wire. If I disconnected the light wire and connected the live for the light (not the one connecting to the dimmer) directly to the live in the roof leaving the neutral as is, would the light bulb work still keeping in mind it’s neutral is going through the dimmer but positive is directly connecting to the mains in the roof? Thanks for your help!

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Welcome to AAC.

To do what you want you will need to completely isolate the light socket from the dimmer. What you propose will not necessarily be safe since the dimmer is a “black box” and we have no idea how the circuitry is laid out.

You should remove both the L and N from the dimmer and connect it to the L and N that feed the dimmer (before the dimmer). This way you will avoid potential problems (no pun intended) and ensure a safe connection.

CHRY

Joined Dec 26, 2023
Ok so just to confirm, rather leave dimmer as is, just disconnect light from it and connect light directly to the L and N that feed the dimmer.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Ok so just to confirm, rather leave dimmer as is, just disconnect light from it and connect light directly to the L and N that feed the dimmer.
That’s correct. If the connection are via pigtail (captive wires) it is OK to cut them close to the dimmer (leave enough to (re)attach a light), and cap them with either crimp on closed end caps (individually), screw on wires nuts, or electrical tape.

The new pigtail can than be used for the feed to the lamp socket. I strongly recommend getting and using Wago Lever Nuts if you are not already using them to make the new connections, and any future ones. You can get cheaper versions of Wagos (copies of the idea more than counterfeit) but I prefer the peace of mind of the original.

Just to be clear the (Chinese) copies generally do just find in overcurrent tests and do cost less, so you might choose them without problems. Some of them have a different design that has some advantages over Wago’s, where the feed comes in one end and the outputs are inline with it. These can be nice.

Good luck,

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Thank you! I ended up getting it to work. I just isolated the light as you said and put that on the feed for the dimmer. The fan still works and now the lights does too.
Glad you had success. I hope this is the first of many questions you ask here, and the prelude to you answering some questions for others.

Be well.