Electric Fuel Pump Prime Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deve

Joined Dec 28, 2015
<Personal attack removed by moderator> What part of the above paragraph has ANYTHING to do with creating a timer circuit for the purpose intended. <off-topic suggestion removed by moderator> They might even appreciate it. The only answers I like are those that move the project of the OP (ORIGINAL POSTER) forward. Its the only reason this thread exists, not RIDICULE, HATE SPEECH, NAYSAYING, etc, etc. You have GOT to find something to do man. <disrespectful tirade removed by moderator>

Moderator's note: There exists an "ignore" button. Click on the name of the person you would like to ignore, when a popup appears, click on "Ignore". You can "unignore" later if you like. The button may be freely used by anybody.

Last edited by a moderator:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
And here we go again! Someone who just doesn't get it. What part of the above paragraph has ANYTHING to do with creating a timer circuit for the purpose intended.
Maybe the point is some of us with a measureable degree of personal experience in the same areas you are working on know something relating to other parts of the overall system that could have a fair chance of rendering the whole timer concept to be non functional or possibly even a far more realistic danger than your accident scenarios would ever play out to be. :oops:

Simply put, You're not the only one who tinkers with old vehicles and what not. Not by a long shot.:rolleyes:
Nor are you the only one who makes modifications to said old vehicles and machines to improve their function, user friendliness and performance to closer match today's standards. I was building solid state ignition systems and voltage regulators ~25+ years ago for vehicles and machines that were pushing 40 - 50+ years of age back then. So I know what types of electrical issues go with putting solid state component on those old electrical systems. It's not a 'just match the voltage and polarity plug and play concept by any means.

The thing is the majority of those posting in this thread with concerns or points of question in the validity of your concept are from long life experienced and knowledgeable in far wider aspects of life and practical design than just how to make simple timer circuits. That's the problem you're up against. It isn't our any one single person's attitude or anything else Its our combined personal knowledge and experience you are fighting and it's not something that can be ignored as being irrelevant. :(

Personally I for one could care less about what you do with your vehicle but given the fact that this thread will live on for years and be read by who knows who or how many people in its lifetime it's in my interests to point out the potential problems your concept may inherently have and why it's not a good design so others don't waste their time and money following what you did without knowing the extra details of what else may need to be delat with as a whole.:oops:

Deve

Joined Dec 28, 2015
Yeah, the concept itself is not up for discussion on an electronics forum. Sorry, but that is relegated to the many other forums that specialize in our craft. Restoration is an art and a very involved process that requires many true professionals input from all over the world. All of the conceptual ideas have been carefully vetted by people who know far more than I do. When I come here for ideas, it is not for conceptual ideas, it is for the beginning of a testing phase.

Nothing is set in stone at this point, but it is very tiring listening to the same idiotic comments that we have suffered through for a long time when none of these people have tested what you are talking about in very painstaking detail. You might THINK you know how a fuel pump works, but you have not tested two fuel pumps (mechanical and electrical) working together as a redundant backup system (used in aircraft as a regular thing and has very important benefits) and not on this vintage. You have not listened to the masses who own this particular vintage for years and what they complain the most about in the fuel system issues. Then, listening is one thing, putting their ideas into practice another. So we come up with ideas. These ideas are OUTSIDE the box. They have nothing to do with the experience most old farts pride themselves on knowing about these vintage vehicles. As an old fart I am not disparaging anyone. So, obviously I have to swim against the current to get the simplest things accomplished because some <personal insult removed by moderator>, there is always one, but I am very VERY disappointed in this forum right now because somehow the moderators really dropped the ball in allowing the <Personal insult removed by moderator> who do nothing but disrespect any idea they do not understand take over the entire forum. This is so sad because I and many others come here to get their electrical engineering issues resolved by people who know electronics.

We are not discussing electric fuel pumps, we are not discussing mechanical fuel pumps, we ARE discussing how to start a process, turn it off after 3 seconds or so, then move control of that process to another switching system based on oil pressure. Get on board with the idea of MY THREAD THAT I CREATED FOR THIS PURPOSE or get OUT and please do not ruin the experience for those who ARE interested but read these threads quietly with interest.

Jason, 47-55 Chevy Trucks of all sizes using 1940-1962 GM six cylinders. Many of these trucks are still in operation and used daily in farming operations all over the world. I have two vehicles, a Corolla and a 1953 1/2 ton as my daily driver. In this economy, I am proud of you if you can afford more than that. It is about solutions, not a bunch of wasted time bickering about stuff that was hashed and rehashed over years. devestechnet.com is about collaboration and figuring out those problems that everyone else accepts and takes for granted. If it were not for the collaboration of the many, there would be no way the site would have the influence it does. And over the years we have innovated the different systems in so many ways. It has been fun for the many folks who have been on board with this project since the beginning. This time, its fuel systems. Next whatever gets the most traffic.

Once this timer circuit is made and tested, fuel pressure testing of single and then tandem pumps will take place to see if the concerns of the contributors are met. If they are not, we go back to square one. I am not sure where the confusion is here. When the end product is fool proof and set, mounting challenges are met, everything considered to the Nth degree. We do not give up until a perfect solution is reached. Does everyone GET it now? Because if you still don't get that I am only here for the electronics hurdles, please, PLEASE stop wasting our time, <Insult removed by moderator>.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Get on board with the idea of MY THREAD THAT I CREATED FOR THIS PURPOSE or get OUT and please do not ruin the experience for those who ARE interested but read these threads quietly with interest.
NO!

You don't own the forum nor do you have any control over what goes on in a thread.
This is so sad because I and many others come here to get their electrical engineering issues resolved by people who know electronics.
(Gentle reminder from a moderator (dc): The policy is that the thread starter is free to choose what direction the thread takes. Others are discouraged from obstructing that right.)
And therein lies the problem. Engineers and designers who are good at their jobs do not leave related components and operations of the systems as whole out in the design of an individual component. It's bad form to do so. Especially so if another engineer can point out a potentially serious flaw in the design because a critical function of another par tot he system the component in question works with has been ignored.

To a number of us your want is no different than a person asking how to build a high performance engine for their vehicle then saying the fuel supply, transmission, driveshaft, rear end and tires are irrelevant and inconsequential to the change. No thy are not. They are all very related to each other so when one item is change the ones before and after it also have to be accounted for. That's where those of us with experience in your same area are having issue. We know better than to dismiss the related components of they system as whole without justification for it of which you have not provided. :oops:

You asked for solutions to which you have been given numerous reply's plus reasoning's for their validity to which you continually say is irrelevant yet no one who is familiar with what you are working one seems to agree with that hence the reason it keeps popping up.

Also, of the dozens of threads running at present yours seems to be the only one where the thread starter, you in this case, is having a fit over their expectations for the forum and how they think it should work.

Just because you don't like the answers or questions regarding the validity of your wants does not make the thread or the operation of the forum wrong in any way. :rolleyes:

My experience has not been ruined. Neither has others that I am aware of. So far yours is the only one being questioned.
As for the moderators they tend to let things play out without interfering when they feel valid relevant question and answer processes are in play. :cool:

BTW, there's another guy doing some pretty serious vehicle computer and control systems mods and he has not gotten a single bit of flack over how he's handing himself nor has he given one shred of demands over how he thinks the forum should be ran either.
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/t...ter-for-external-smart-ignition-coils.127889/
Kinda suspicious how he isn't showing demands and an attitude about what he needs help with nor over what questions he is being asked either and thus is not getting continual flack, Don't you think? o_O

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I think I found the relevant article about this disagreement in the Terms of Service, User agreement:

"Forum members must not knowingly provide any information that may adversely affect another member; this includes, but is not restricted to, information that may potentially result in injury, death, damage or destruction of property and possessions."

I believe that publishing or selling a kit which uses questionable safety features applies to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.