El 84 Oscillator puzzle

Colin Chandler

Joined Oct 2, 2018
There are five connections on this oscillator coil, the two on the right hand side are fine but the three on the left have strange readings on the ohm meter, between 1&2 there's 38ohms between 2 & 3 there's 38 ohms , between 1 & 3 there's 5 ohms
Looking at the schematic I can work it out , can you? Sorry I meant to type can't work it out

Last edited:

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
It would (might?) help if we could relate those pin numbers to the schematic. Maybe two of the transoformer wires are (near) shorted to each other or the two capacitors labelled 21 and 22 are short circuit.

Colin Chandler

Joined Oct 2, 2018
Thanks for your reply, I have disconnected all the wires from the coil before I took the readings I should have mentioned sorry, do you think the coil is faulty?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

This is already the third thread for the same unit:
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/meazzi-echomatic-ecc-83-circuit.169309/
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/meazzi-echomatic-help-req.169338/

The original unit is pictured at this french page:
http://jacquesg.brun.free.fr/Chambresdechosmeazzi.html
With the schematic:
http://jacquesg.brun.free.fr/schemaechomatic.html

Do you have the name of the unit?
You might be able to find more info here:
http://meazzi.net/or/schemandlayout1.html

Bertus

Colin Chandler

Joined Oct 2, 2018
no it's not a centre tap, I don't understand the resistance readings , I've atttached the readings between the pins , I need help to put the numbers to the pins, based on the schematic
Which is pin 1.
Which is pin 2
Which is pin 3
Thanks for your help

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Did you not make a note of the connections when you disconnected it?

My guess would be pin 1 is the tap and pin 3 connects to EL84 anode.

prairiemystic

Joined Jun 5, 2018
OP you're making it too hard- without telling us what you are calling pin 1,2,3,4,5 etc. on the schematic.
You need ohmeter readings between all FIVE pins to properly ID the windings.

Looking like: Pin 1 to B+, Pin 2 to grid, Pin 3 to plate. Pin 4-pin 5 erase head should be low, around maybe 16 ohms with no continuity to any of pins 1,2,3.

Colin Chandler

Joined Oct 2, 2018
OP you're making it too hard- without telling us what you are calling pin 1,2,3,4,5 etc. on the schematic.

Looking like: Pin 1 to B+, Pin 2 to grid, Pin 3 to plate. Pin 4-pin 5 erase head should be low, around maybe 16 ohms with no continuity to any of pins 1,2,3.
Ok Thankyou the two pins at right hand side only have continuity to each other and as one is connected to the chassis I managed to work out it’s for the erase head , the other three pins are what’s confusing me , theres a feed in to carry the signal and mix it with the oscillating signal, I just don’t understand the coil 30 ohms 35ohms and 4.6 ohms between the three pins , the coil is drawn in a straight line so I would have thought 30 35 65 ? Does that make sense?

Colin Chandler

Joined Oct 2, 2018
Ok Thankyou the two pins at right hand side only have continuity to each other and as one is connected to the chassis I managed to work out it’s for the erase head , the other three pins are what’s confusing me , theres a feed in to carry the signal and mix it with the oscillating signal, I just don’t understand the coil 30 ohms 35ohms and 4.6 ohms between the three pins , the coil is drawn in a straight line so I would have thought 30 35 65 ? Does that make sense?
I see now, it can’t be 65 it is actually 5
Now all I need to know is where on the schematic would 5.3 be and knowing that it tells me where 31.6 goes

Colin Chandler

Joined Oct 2, 2018

I think this is correct. Note that the record oscillator is usually tuned- with a trimmer capacitor or moveable slug in the transformer core. I think this is why the schematic shows two series capacitors on the (plate) tank, if you can't get decent AC at 50kHz then change the tuning cap.

transformer_echomatic.JPG

Colin Chandler

Joined Oct 2, 2018
I think this is correct. Note that the record oscillator is usually tuned- with a trimmer capacitor or moveable slug in the transformer core. I think this is why the schematic shows two series capacitors on the (plate) tank, if you can't get decent AC at 50kHz then change the tuning cap.

View attachment 206617
Thankyou very much , would the tuning cap

View attachment 206617
Thankyou very much, I appreciate your help

The erase-head voltage is really low at 3Vpp, that's almost like a short-circuit. The original erase-head might be a different part? or the 0.022uF capacitor in parallel I would experiment with. Try go up and down in value and see what happens, you can add series or parallel capacitor to change by say +/-20%. It's OK if the oscillator moves to say 60kHz.

But the oscillator has so many capacitors, five that would affect tuning.
The main ones I think are the two 0.0022uF 100V parts (at the plate) which are too low voltage, they should be good to 400V and the value might be wrong there. Is it two series 0.0022uF to give 0.0011uF (1,100pF)?
I saw another Meazzi use a trimmer capacitor, guessing it is the 220pF/150pF to set amplitude to the record head.