EHT power supply design and construction

There be dabbling ducks and diving ducks now I say you are being both:D!
Drollery aside -- I do appreciate one who appreciates birds!:):):)

HP When you doing salvage?
Hopefully this month -- otherwise it'll have to be June --- Either way it's out of my hands...

I be away until next week again so want to know if you still do instruction tutorial Tuesday otherwise I worry if not know:(
I too will be gone this weekend -- but on business unrelated to the aforementioned salvage operations --- So Yes! I will get started on the tutorial Tuesday -- When I will advise you of my progress!:) -- OBTW If you insist upon worrying about me - kindly refrain from expression of same! -- It tends to inspire me with an oppressive, cloying sensation of mind...:rolleyes:

All the best!
HP:)

Last edited:
Hey Aleph - for future reference: Please check your email prior to panicking!:rolleyes:

Apologies for the dilatory reply ---- Too many issues with Microsoft! -- Much too much data collection, deceit and straight up sleaze! (AKA 'Telemetry enhancement' in Microspook speak) While such is a given with Windows X, it seems VII and VIII are now likewise afflicted... Sooo... time for the loooong overdue transition to Linux --- No worries though! -- I intend to complete the LOPT re-purposing tutorial prior to my OS transition!!!:)

Here's the plan:

1) Consolidate existing installments to a single post on this thread
2) Append new material
3) Edit the 'finished product' for tidiness and perspicuity
4) Move the completed tutorial to the Projects Forum (where it is more appropriately placed)
5) Delete the full tutorial and stray installments from this thread (as per site rules regarding redundant threads/posts)

Please note --- Corollary to steps 4 & 5 above - I ask you please do not respond to the 'consolidating post' while in progress (inasmuch as any such responses will only be 'orphaned' when the tutorial is moved to Projects...)

While I welcome and strongly encourage your participation in the editorial process (following relocation) -- I ask you to please bear in mind that all participation on the Projects forum must (and should) adhere strictly to topic!

Please understand - I have no issue with 'casually on-topic' discussion -- but please! On this thread/forum only... K?

OBTW:

Wherefore art thou HP?:(
Actually, you've committed a rather common error against the Bard!:eek::eek::eek:
"Wherefore"≈"Why" (as opposed to 'Where') So! Take 100 lines, wash the chalkboards and turn off the lights before retiring young lady!:p

Genuinely appreciative of your concern

PS -- WinVII and WinVIII users:-- The DOS commands contained in the attached text file will uninstall four of the more egregious specimens of Microsoft slime --- I have structured the file such that you need merely change the extension to ".bat" then 'run' the file in an elevated 'command prompt' window --- NOTICE: Although I personally composed the file and tested same on my 'Windows 7 Ultimate' installation, and, furthermore, attest that said batch script does nothing more than uninstall the offending 'updates' (via protocol) -- I cannot be responsible for unexpected/undesirable 'sequelae' --- You have been warned!

Attachments

Last edited:

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
HP this not reply but just to say very happy for continuing:)! Thank you for spy remover batch file! I run on w8 machines at center now faster and less conflicts! You want suggestions for fb tutorial so I say plz think of adding introductory material to show how to recognize ac flybacks. Maybe should explain why dst bad idea even though get very high output voltage. I try tell youtube _kids_ how internal diodes stand output cuz of asymmetrical drive but they don't understand how filtering or slight stray capacitance kills diodes with reverse breakdown!:mad: I hesitate call them morons but like you say fact remains:rolleyes:!

Now I write on separate paragraph so you not skim past point I am making! I want to know why you giving me riot act in email about you say reckless privacy when you chose avatar looks exactly like you! Your avatar looks more like you than mine looks like me and mine chosen by searching with own pic and using closest match! I say honestly that I spotted you on here by your avatar! I thought it was you in fancy dress cause watermark not easy to see in avatar pic! I sorry if sound angry HP cause I'm not at all! Just wanting to show double standard! I'm very happy that things back to normal! I hope you not angry but I relieved and happy you not playing at Jacques Cousteau until June! I know it disappointment to you but air locked tubes in non saline environment last a few more months! I know you worried Le Chatelier's principle accelerate corrosion under pressure but I say low temps probably counteract that! If they surviving the big squeeze they be waiting for you next spring!:D Thank you for status of tutorial posts, very nice:)

Thank you for spy remover batch file! I run on w8 machines at center now faster and less conflicts!
No problem, I'll upload a more comprehensive script this evening -- As an aside; not to 'kibitz' howbeit if I were you I'd tell my IP team to 'pull up their socks'! - Even if Microsoft's 'User Experience'/'Telemetry'/Push to 'WinX' BS was not common knowledge -- any third-party firewall running under even default configuration should have caught it!:mad:

You want suggestions for fb tutorial so I say plz think of adding introductory material to show how to recognize ac flybacks. Maybe should explain why dst bad idea even though get very high output voltage. I try tell youtube _kids_ how internal diodes stand output cuz of asymmetrical drive but they don't understand how filtering or slight stray capacitance kills diodes with reverse breakdown!
Excellent ideas! -- I will incorporate both!:):):) Your input is greatly appreciated! -- Please know that I am in earnest when I refer to this as OUR project!:)

I hesitate call them morons
I doubt that!:D:cool:

I want to know why you giving me riot act in email about you say reckless privacy when you chose avatar looks exactly like you!
Now it's my turn to say: "S'cuse me for caring!":rolleyes::)

Your avatar looks more like you than mine looks like me and mine chosen by searching with own pic and using closest match! I say honestly that I spotted you on here by your avatar! I thought it was you in fancy dress cause watermark not easy to see in avatar pic!
Even was my avatar the proverbial 'spit and image' of myself (an assertion, BTW, with which I disagree) would that justify equal negligence on your part!? -- You may wish to 're-work' the logic on that one!...:confused::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I sorry if sound angry HP cause I'm not at all!
Oh! I dunno! -- I think you're perhaps a tad 'miffed'? -- That's ok! It is said that moderate anger keeps folks in their youth!:D:cool::cool::cool:

I hope you not angry but I relieved and happy you not playing at Jacques Cousteau until June!
While I genuinely appreciate your concern - I'm bound to say a 'Nerf-Ball' world is not for me! IOW: Inasmuch as we are (organically) mortal no matter how safe we play it - better to risk "destruction in application" than idly await "end of shelf life":eek::eek::eek:

Thank you for status of tutorial posts, very nice
Good deal!:) For clarity, beginning with my next update, I'll delete previous updates such that only the current status report will appear on the thread:cool:

All the best

Hey @Aleph(0) --- Apologies for my absenteeism:( --- I really do have a lot on! --- I will make every effort to substantially attend to the tutorial within the next 48 hours!

As promised I've attached a more comprehensive MSBS uninstaller script -- I include the following details for the benefit of other interested parties:

Note: Applicable to windows 7 and Windows 8 only!

1) Download the file
2) Change the extension to ".bat"
3) Open an elevated 'Command Prompt' window on the directory to which the file was saved. (or open the elevated 'command prompt' window then navigate to said directory via DOS)
4) At the prompt, enter": Nospook2
5) Respond to all dialogs in the affirmative
6) Reboot the system
7) 'Hide' any of the updates contained in the script now 'showing' in the WU Queue (such that you don't inadvertently reinstall them)...

Your system should now be wonderfully free of Microsoft spyware/Windows X upgradeware:D:D:D --- Inasmuch as it's difficult to kill a cockroach, I recommend repeating the procedure on a once fortnightly schedule...

Again - Use of the attached script and above described procedure is entirely at your own risk! --- I accept NO responsibility for unexpected/undesirable consequences!

Best regards

Attachments

Last edited:
@Aleph(0)

Please forgive my (apparently) lackadaisical approach to completion of the tutorial --- In addition to all else, certain 'anthropoids' don't seem to comprehend the nuances attending the term 'retired' -- Though I must own part (most?) of the blame as my many years' acquiescence can only have sent the wrong message:( -- I promise you I will make my position crystal clear Monday -- up to and including a threat promise of legal action should subsequent contact occur for any reason! --- Perhaps it's two decades too late however I ask you to please rest assured that you come first! -- Whether it's 'major stuff', physics projects or just shooting the breeze (actually you always did - despite my miserable job of demonstrating the fact:() -- Lacking faculty to alter past behaviour -- My next best move (as I see it) is to change the present immediately! --- I hope my public announcement of my feelings enhances your credence in same --- Also you are more than welcome to followup/fact check my proposed actions...

Most sincerely
Me :):):)

Last edited:

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
HP Your regrets are unfounded! I'm a lot happier than you must think!:) I think its a good thing that you are taking stand against all those manipulative jerks but don't do it for my sake! I know it is not for them but for the _clients_ that you respond to their entreats I want no part of emotional fallout when other staff try guilt you for sad eventualities that they will want put on you! you say shouldn't try to save world but never gave reason to believe you really mean that!:rolleyes: Now I asking why you are so easier to talk to like this than personally? It like you warm up from 1 kelvin to room temperature:cool:!
Now I say you got a lot of work done on tutorial post last night!:) You need relax! I say you don't owe me for lost time! I'm enjoying all this for its own sake and I hope you are too:)!

Now I say my piece about religion and science then I shut up about it:D
Just that Saint Cyril and all like him were and are to religion what Josef Mengele and all like him were and are to science; just barbarous pretenders to those disciplines and unworthy of membership in human race!:mad: To justify means with ends is what sociopaths do! To legitimize injustice with noble concepts as religion or science is what cowards do! I say honest pursuit of *spiritual* and *physical* truth is all we have and need!:)

Tutorial status report:

As of Sep/20/10 pm CDT
Minor editing
Begin Step 16
Moved tutorial to end of thread for convenience

////////////////
Previous work:

As of Sep/20/2015 12:37 am CDT
Steps 12 -14 entered (unedited)
Step 15 begun

Sep-17-2015 3:14 pm CDT
-Temporarily disable automatic image display (to expedite working with post)
-Composition of Step #12 (Rough)

As of 9/16/2015 --- 11:30pm CDT
-Consolidation of exsisting posts complete
-Linking of relevant 'Re-ups' Complete

Best regards
HP

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
HP why you ignore my post 131 and bury with moving tutorial?:( I don't understand how it can anger you but sorry if I did!:( plz let me know:(!

HP why you ignore my post 131 and bury with moving tutorial?:( I don't understand how it can anger you but sorry if I did!:( plz let me know:(!
If your 'oversensitivity routine' is a 'bit' please be advised - it has run its course!:rolleyes: -- Otherwise you need to grow up! --- Perhaps you failed to notice I acknowledged your post via a 'like' -- moreover I perceived your question (Re: the alleged disparity in my spoken vs textual expression) as rhetorical... BTW - I moved the tutorial down for ease of location - no evil plot here!:)

Best regards
HP

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
HP when you are all done larking about so back posting here plz tell how to interpret radiographs of cascade? I do what you say 3 aspects each for anode volts of 50kvp, 80kvp and 100kvp not do 150kvp cause already totally radiolucent with 100. Using 50kvp with small filament give sharp detail but can't recognize components of potted type components cause unfamiliar form factor. Components too lucent with 80kvp for enough contrast. I say need to triangulate so know where to drill? I not stupid but is not easy for me think in 2d shadow world and familiar 3d illuminated world at same time:( Sorry to be bitch with last post I not so angry young woman as insecure I guess:oops:

Hey, Aleph! --- Sorry I haven't had much free time lately:( -- It may be some time yet, however you may rest assured (or be forewarned?) I will be back!:)

can't recognize components of potted type components cause unfamiliar form factor.
Perhaps the attached radiograph of such a cascade will assist with component identification:

Additionally, viewing of the associated site with special attention to the following pages may be helpful...
http://www.kronjaeger.com/hv/hv/src/tv/
http://www.kronjaeger.com/hv/hv/src/sup/index.html

Of course it goes without saying that inasmuch as you are using fluoroscopic techniques (unlike the image below) your images are 'positives' (i.e. higher density=darker).

I say need to triangulate so know where to drill?
Correct - That's why I suggested 'triaxial' imagery --- Inasmuch as your setup maintains equal SID for every exposure, the precise position may be determined via merely 'measuring out' each dimension as per the (appropriately scaled) radiographs:)

In light (NPI) of the fact that you are possessed of more than ten cascades, you can afford 'teething troubles':D --- Also I'll be happy to assist you with identification if you wish - just post the images here, email them, send them by carrier pigeon or whatever...:D:D:D

Sorry to be bitch with last post I not so angry young woman as insecure I guess:oops:
IMESHO your issues are neither temperament nor security - but, rather, 'hyper sensitivity' to perceived 'slights' --- I don't know how else to say it - Trust me! If I'm unhappy with you, there will be no room for equivocation!:D

Very pleased to observe your earnest pursuit of the subject!
:):):)

All the best
HP

PS: Although I am neither acquainted nor affiliated with Mr. Kronjaeger -- It is my understanding that use of the linked image (as presented here) is compliant with the 'Fair Use' provisions of applicable intellectual property legislation.

Last edited:

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
HP thanks is perfect! potted parts look same form as on my pics:) HP plz explain why I get pixel snow on digital camera when anode volts more than 70kvp even though shielded by 1cm of PB equivalent glass? I say threshold for that is 250 Rads/hour shouldn't happen before 500kvp for 1ma?

HP thanks is perfect! potted parts look same form as on my pics:)
Thank you -- It's nice to have been of help for a change!:D

HP plz explain why I get pixel snow on digital camera when anode volts more than 70kvp even though shielded by 1cm of PB equivalent glass?
Short answer: Indirect exposure attendant to increased scatter with decreasing wavelength/increasing energy --- Place a few CDV 730s around your lab to 'divine' the pattern:) --- Now aintcha glad I insisted upon the kiosk and 20 meter CP/Tube separation?:D:D:D

I say threshold for that is 250 Rads/hour shouldn't happen before 500kvp for 1ma?
Very good! Assuming your camera's sensor technology is CCD (as opposed to CMOS) --- Ditto on your math (i.e. attenuation assay):) But Puleeeze! Say 2.5 Gy --- I know! I prefer the 'Rad' also --- howbeit someone your age has no excuse for such atavism!:rolleyes:

All the best
HP

PS -- May be 'out of pocket' for a few days...

Last edited:

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
HP you said
- May be 'out of pocket' for a few days...
That mean you're gone bobbing for tubes after all?:(
You said
Place a few CDV 730s around your lab to 'divine' the pattern
Tnx, have done, I haven't figured it completely but now clear diffraction at margins is dramatic! You right when say intuitive understanding for this best from wave phenomena instead of quantum perspective:)
You said
Now aintcha glad I insisted upon the kiosk and 20 meter CP/Tube separation?:D:D:D
HP I follow over cautious safety program because you payed for equipment and I promised but the absorbed dose I could receive in worst case _IF_ contactor weld on _AND_ watchdog timer crashed would be to primary fuse less than 20ms so at very worst 26.667 RADs full body _IF_ not wear apron _AND_ collimator shutter set full! So I'd _POSSIBLY_ have mild symptoms and _MAYBE_, just maybe, enhance liability to neoplastic disease later in life. I say what of it? As if I'm going to live forever anyway:rolleyes: HP don't worry! We have bargain so I won't be pulling a Clarance Dally:D Now I say you keep faith with me and be careful if diving or traveling!:)

Last edited: