EHT power supply design and construction

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
HP I understand about not before Tuesday for installment you should not be stressed about time cause I'm patient for you to post what you will when you will:) I'm sorry to be the bummer when we talked:( Conventions are like the bad medicine to me cause I always do things not proud of then have to regain my self respect:rolleyes: I know that I act like the sl__ sometimes but am not and never was a drunk! I seldom drink to excess but when I do then my behavior can be hedonistic and regrettable!:( You so kind to understand and not judging!:) I order mosfet transistors like you show also already have hot melt glue tools only need to find glue sticks like you say:) Now I have vision about x-ray and all the em ionizing radiations like clean and decent in a way we can only wonder at from our captive corporal perspective it is how you say a spiritual thing like the proof there is more to us than the bioorganism:) I want to live long life but will be absolutely relived when hour of dying arrive so can become totally human and 100% monkey free:D

I understand about not before Tuesday for installment you should not be stressed about time cause I'm patient for you to post what you will when you will
Thanks! -- Your forbearance in this matter is much appreciated!:) --- Truth be told I've encountered a bit of a 'snag' in that, with regards to the particular transformer I'm 're-purposing' for the tutorial, the diametric dimension of the ferrite core slightly exceeds the ID of the CPVC sleeve:mad::mad::mad: --- So... I'll have to do a bit of filing:rolleyes: --- Should be 'on track' for next week:)

I order mosfet transistors like you show also already have hot melt glue tools only need to find glue sticks like you say
Sounds good!

End of on topic content
///////////////////////////////

I'm sorry to be the bummer when we talked:(
Not at all!:)

Conventions are like the bad medicine to me cause I always do things not proud of then have to regain my self respect:rolleyes:
Right off hand, I'd say (to use your vernacular) "alcohol is like the bad medicine to you!"

I know that I act like the sl__ sometimes
First off, even as epithets go, I find that one particularly egregious for it's 'asymmetrical' (read sexist) application -- Given the selfsame conduct half the people are 'sluts' (i.e. disparaged) whereas the other half are 'players' (i.e. admired/encouraged) -- Such arbitrary and inconsistent attribution of 'merit' is issue of ignorance which you are best advised to disregard...

am not and never was a drunk!
No question of that, my friend! -- I know an 'Alki' when I meet one -- even online - it's not you!:)

My friend, as problems go this seems a 'no brainier'? You recognize the fact that excessive alcohol consumption leads to behaviour of which you are ashamed (and, I might add, imperils your health) --- So... (drum roll please) don't drink at conventions -- better yet - don't drink to excess at all --- Problem solved!!!!:) --- Could it be that all this brooding as regards your mortality has you seeking surcease of dread via recklessness in the here and now? --- I understand:(

I seldom drink to excess but when I do then my behavior can be hedonistic and regrettable!:(
Join the crowd!:rolleyes: Indeed alcohol needn't be a "monkey on one's back" to evoke one's "inner monkey":rolleyes::D --- Trust me you're not alone! -- my existence is marked by no small amount of 'hedonism' either -- and not always with the excuse of inebriation:oops: --- Again, given time, you will outgrow all of this!:) --- Just mind you don't rob yourself of that time!:(

I want to live long life but will be absolutely relived when hour of dying arrive so can become totally human and 100% monkey free:D
In that we're 100% agreed!!!:):):)

--- RE: Post #78 ---

HP Sorry about joke I said in last post I mean past tense urn so like earned not misspelling of urinated so could be bad taste cause macabre but not plain gross:eek:! I thought to clear up this cause not want you think I have adolescent sense of humor!
You worry too much! -- I took your joke as intended! I'm not sitting in judgment of you! -- And what, if I may ask, would it matter if I were???:confused:

I am long time member of 4HV
So am I -- Not active though... Now ya know - I'm gonna have to see if I can figure out who you are over yonder!;););):D
Seriously 4HV is an excellent resource! -- Though, perhaps, a bit more 'hobby' than 'science' orientated...

well hey! Nice to learn you back home 'safe and sound' -- BTW I received your Email -- No worries! Owing to the 'CPVC' issues I won't be ready until next week anyway -- Take care and no more drunk monkeyshines, young lady!:rolleyes:
:)

Best regards
HP

Last edited:
I so much more confident going ahead to rebuild fbs I had no idea such detail now you wonderful do all that for me:)
I promise to do everything in my power to maintain that confidence in the face of the ongoing problems!:) --- The next installment (sometime tomorrow/early Wed) -- will initially include images attached as per 'full presentation mode' - However I've a few ideas as regards a functional/reliable solution --- In the meantime, should you experience difficulty, please advise me such that I may email 'copies' to you!:)

End of on-topic content
//////////////////////////
DON'T YOU START!:mad: Is not funny at all!
Indeed? With me it's mishandling of CRTs --- With you it's drunken dalliance? --- Seems neither of us are in a position to cast stones - wot:D

so everybody is Shirley Temple and Little Lord Fauntleroy now
Well... I might have said Rhoda Penmark and Holden Caulfield;););):D

Now I have vision about x-ray and all the em ionizing radiations like clean and decent in a way we can only wonder at from our captive corporal perspective it is how you say a spiritual thing like the proof there is more to us than the bioorganism:)
On that note -- Let us sally forth to embrace the exultantly pure Magic Light thence ride its hallowing rays to ultimate revelation:D:D:D:p

BTW-- Truth be told: I sincerely found your (above quoted) text touching to the point of poignancy!:):):) --- Seems us 'mad scientists' think alike!:D

All the best, my friend!:)
HP

Last edited:

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
HP! I'm very happy being back to post on here again! You said
I promise to do everything in my power to maintain that confidence in the face of the ongoing problems!
Relax! You're doing fine! I'm post secondary student! Learning is privilege not the slave labor!:) HP I having troubles with 200R and 20R electrostatic dosimeter pens:( After charged they reading 2/3 scale after 24 hours in background field. So charge leaking off but why so? Stored long time but dry and dust free and all that? You said
On that note -- Let us sally forth to embrace the exultantly pure Magic Light thence ride its hallowing rays to ultimate revelation:D:D:D:p
Awe! Such abuse of The Bard! That neither scans nor rhymes! Shame on ye;)!
you said
Well... I might have said Rhoda Penmark and Holden Caulfield;););):D
LOL!:D You have wicked sense of humor for one that says she's as warm and feeling as dewar of ln2 on dark side of Sedna:p! you said
BTW-- Truth be told: I sincerely found your (above quoted) text touching to the point of poignancy!:):):) --- Seems us 'mad scientists' think alike!:D
Now you _really_ got me all choked up! Thanks! Just thanks!:)

@Aleph(0) --- I apologize that I seem to have missed this the first time through:

HP I having troubles with 200R and 20R electrostatic dosimeter pens:(
Do you mean the Landsverk/Bendix CDV-742 and the CDV-730 respectively? --- Most of said instruments are at least fifty years old -- In my experience approx one third of the commonly available units tend to show objectionable 'leakage' --- FWIW: My strategy is to purchase several 'hands full', set them all to '0', check them at 24 hour intervals over a period of ten days - then mark them according to their 'quality' - The best units will show little to no 'upscale' movement during the first 48 hours... Any instruments showing erratic or inconsistent discharge should be discarded...

FWIW: Even rather leaky (while consistent) units (as those described in your post) are useful in certain applications (e.g. mapping of beam geometry, assay of shielding, etc...) Of course it goes without saying that even a 500R dosimeter will, for all intents and purposes, be instantly discharged (i.e. 'pegged' off-scale) in the main beam of an RA (or 'hefty' FA) out to a distance of over one meter... (Such is readily apprehended upon consideration of the fact that even such a 'lightweight' RA as the Varian A256 exhibits a 'dose rate' upwards of 1000Gy/Sec (100,000 rads/Sec) @ 5cm from the beam port at moderate anode current...

All of that said -- even the CDV-730 (20R full scale) is quite satisfactory for output assessment of re-purposed 2X2s, etc...

Hey @Aleph(0) I know you are well aware of most of the above! -- My digression was for the possible benefit/edification of any other interested readers of this thread:)

Best regards
HP

PS --- To any and all interested parties unwise in the ways of Health Physics --- Please! Don't!:eek: -- Nuff said!

Last edited:
LOPT Repurpose Tutorial: Installment #3

@Aleph(0)

I apologize for the brevity of this installment -- As you will perceive, the lighting of my library proved non-ideal for photographic purposes:mad: -- Future installments will return to my Garret Lab (Uggg!), Main Lab, refectory or storage halls --- But to commence!:)

Note: Owing to difficulties with image display, all images will be vertically preceded by a row of bolded 'inverted carets' (i.e. "∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨") All such rows should be immediately followed by an image -- if not, be advised that loading of the image is pending or has failed...

Step #10 Cut the CPVC Form sleeve:

-Cut a length of 3/4" (id) PVC tubing equal to the total length of the form-leg on which it will be placed (In this case of this demonstration 8.5cm) See the two images immediately below...

Image illustrating desired sleeve dimension
∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨

Image of form and adjacent CPVC section cut as per step #10
∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨
Step #11 Cut shoulder stirrups in CPVC Sleeve:

Note: the stirrups must be sufficiently deep as to allow a slight amount of end-play when mounted upon the form (such that form-piece apposition is assured)

Image of form pieces and 'prepared' CPVC sleeve
∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨

Image of form and CPVC sleeve in an intermediate state of assembly
∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨

Image of (temporary) fully assembled form and CPVC assembly
∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨∨

--- Next installment continues with step 12 ---

Well hey! @Aleph(0) (and anyone else) please be forthcoming with any questions or comments! --- Sometimes the echoes...:eek:

Best regards
HP

Attachments

Last edited:

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
As you will perceive, the lighting of my library proved non-ideal for photographic purposes:mad: -- Future installments will return to my Garret Lab (Uggg!), Main Lab, refectory or storage halls -
Why you not like to use garret room? Spooks?;) It ok I see pics from library room fine:) You say questions so I ask how to align core halves in sleeve when doing the final assembling if core od not exactly sleeve pipe id? I think you have plan cause did so many other fb. I want ask about how you fixed the oversize core troubles cause pipe still same .75 inch size? I do like you said about dosimeters so far looks 75% of them good:) They say shipped AEC could have during this week:) Here's delimiter
////////////////
When you say about rooms in house I picture you _singing in the rooms of your icewater mansion_ ha ha:D

I ask how to align core halves in sleeve when doing the final assembling if core od not exactly sleeve pipe id?
Don't despair we're almost there!:cool: (Hint -- shrink tubing;))

I want ask about how you fixed the oversize core troubles cause pipe still same .75 inch size?
No profound mystery there -- I merely chose another form!:)

I do like you said about dosimeters so far looks 75% of them good:)
Great! 3 out of 4 beats 2 out of 3 hands down!:):):)

They say shipped AEC could have during this week
I'll get on it as soon as I have the model number!:)

Hey @Aleph(0) -- Many thanks for your on-topic questions!:) -- I find your pro-active interest in this subject greatly reassuring as regards your sincerity!:cool:

End of on-topic content
////////////////////////
Why you not like to use garret room? Spooks?;)
Your quip is ambiguous -- By 'spooks' do you mean specters or spies?;) --- No matter - summer in W. garret lab offers little to be desired in the way of comfort -- It's a choice between 95°F @100% RH or a rather noisy, high velocity A/C unit... Even so, inasmuch as I refuse to disturb arrangements in main lab I expect I'll resume the tutorial in the garret...

It ok I see pics from library room fine:)
Acquiescence is unbecoming you, my friend! -- The images are too dark - 'Nuff said!:rolleyes:

When you say about rooms in house I picture you _singing in the rooms of your icewater mansion_ ha ha:D
Actually the cited lyrics describe the 'pastime' of the geographical feature having 'designs' upon my cellars!:eek::rolleyes: --- Anyway LN2 is a far more my idiom than mere "ice water" :cool:

Best regards
HP

Last edited:
@Aleph(0) Got your email -- it's all cool!:cool::cool::cool:

So you (and all the lurkers who I can but hope are more than mere 'flights of fancy') may expect a substantial installment no later than Sunday morning! Tuesday morning:D --- If I sound 'flaky' - don't worry - 'Tis but the effects of the garret:eek::eek::eek:

All the best my friend!:):):)
HP

Last edited:
@Aleph(0) -- Crickets???:(:mad::D:p

Seriously - If I'm to be of any help whatever in regards to your AEC IC I'll need the model number - preferably here (i.e. on this public forum) such that we may maintain 'continuity' for the benefit of (any) interested parties...

Many thanks!:)
HP

but still read every post.
Many sincere thanks! --- I'm hoping to (more coherently) format the tutorial upon completion:)

Kind of weird though HP, seeing you use "text speak" after all your other posts. :)
Sorry about that!:oops: AEC IC = Automatic Exposure Control -- Ionization Chamber

Again, many, many thanks for your interest! --- Please know that suggestions and/or requests for clarification are both welcome and encouraged!:)

Best regards
HP:)

Last edited:
Apologies for the delay!:( --- Circumstances beyond my control yada, yada, yada!:mad::mad::mad: --- You may expect the next installment Monday evening/Tuesday morning ISP permitting:rolleyes:

Best regards
HP

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Didn't expect a reply, but thank you. What is the purpose of the coil/HV transformer you two are building? If I may be so bold to ask.

And to be extra nosy, did it end up that the two of you did/do know each other? At first blush it seemed like you were concerned. Sorry to hijack your thread.

@shortbus your interest in this thread and our projects is greatly appreciated! -- It is in the hope that this topic has (or can generate) broader interest that it is posted here (in 'public') in the first place:):):)
Despite appearances - this thread is not intended to be a private conversation! Comments, questions and suggestions are more than welcome!!!:):):)

What is the purpose of the coil/HV transformer you two are building?
Succinctly: An inexpensive PSU 'solution' for (proper) Coolidge tubes as well as cold cathode (Roentgen) operation of certain (so called) "receiving types" (i.e. 2X2, 6BK4, etc...)

did it end up that the two of you did/do know each other?
Oh! I think so!;););) --- I'll let Aleph respond to that when she returns (Wednesday) -- I'd like a straight answer to that one myself!:D

Hey @shortbus -- I've major DSL problems this weekend (speeds sporadically dropping to 20kbaud, hanging and just everything annoying!:mad::mad::mad:) -- And, of course, it goes without saying that tech support is USELESS on weekends!:rolleyes:

As soon as I have full/reliable 'connectivity' restored (hopefully tomorrow) I promise a comprehensive response!:):):)

Again! Your interest is GREATLY appreciated!!!:):):)

Very best regards
HP

Last edited:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Again thank you. Going to show some more of my ignorance here. With the requirement of high voltage and low amperage for the experimenting, couldn't a Van de Graff generator be used as a voltage source? Before getting into electronics to make my Electrical Discharge Machine, my electrical hobby was static electric machines. Van de Graff, Whimshurst and dirod type generators. I love making sparks. :)

Hello and thank you for your post!:)

couldn't a Van de Graff generator be used as a voltage source?
While Electrostatic 'machines' (e.g. Van De Graff and Wimshurst generators) are used in some specialized radiographic/radiological and (research) particle accelerator applications to this day -- their comparatively low continuous current availability renders them impractical for applications operating at EMFs much lower than 500kV (and, indeed, of dubious merit below several megavolts)

In case you're interested; below is an image of a modern Van De Graaff implementation productive of EMFs (nominal)=15MV (Figuratively, "one-half" of Brookhaven's TVDG facility)

my electrical hobby was static electric machines. Van de Graff, Whimshurst and dirod type generators. I love making sparks. :)
Seems we're kindred spirits:D -- With me it was Tesla coils -- As regards electrostatic machines, I must admit to having lacked patience with those 'finicky' Wimshurst generators:mad: --- Though a 'trick' I developed was placement of an AM broadcast receiver in the vicinity of the machine such that the (audible) noise pattern served as a "guide" during the 'spin-up' process...

Hope this post gets through! -- Still waiting on my ISP's solution of their network difficulties:rolleyes:

Very best regards
HP

PS -- Please ignore any double, truncated or otherwise mutilated posts! -- I'll clean it up following full restoration of my service:)

Last edited:

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
@Aleph(0) As per my email message of Sep 1/ 3:14 (UTC-5) --- Should you see this prior to subsequent posts from myself -- please be patient! - I'm yet working with my ISP --- Although I have occasional 'windows' of connectivity during which I may accesses my email and this site - posting of (sizable) images is impossible pending resolution of the issues... --- In the event you failed to receive the above cited email message, please feel free to telephone me as a last resort:) --- I promise to respond to any message left here on a 'when possible' basis:):):)

The good news:
I've completed the tutorial through reassembly of the LOPT -- ISP permitting I will post the penultimate 'installment' early Wednesday in time for your return!:) --- FWIW, upon completion, I'm considering 'gathering' the tutorial (i.e. the 'installment posts') to one contiguous post then placing same - in its own thread - on the "Projects Forum" with the aim of eventually creating an entry in the 'Completed Projects Collection' at such time as entire development of both projects (Spec: The '2D' radiography system and the computed tomography system) are documented -- To which end, might I prevail upon you to assist with the editorial process (at your leisure)???

Well hey! -- Wishing you a safe return trip!:)

All the best, my friend!
HP:cool:

Last edited:

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
HP you be happy to know I've returned again just like in signature ha ha! I think it sweet you worry about me:) You said
Oh! I think so!;););) --- I'll let Aleph respond to that when she returns (Wednesday) -- I'd like a straight answer to that one myself!:D
You bet, HP:D Shortbus, HP and I just totally special to each other but if I say why she'll know for sure who I am then I loose initiative over her;) I say too you are most welcome to thread!:) I want say to you don't worry cause I'm not dumb as I type!:D
FWIW, upon completion, I'm considering 'gathering' the tutorial (i.e. the 'installment posts') to one contiguous post then placing same - in its own thread - on the "Projects Forum" with the aim of eventually creating an entry in the 'Completed Projects Collection' at such time as entire development of both projects (Spec: The '2D' radiography system and the computed tomography system) are documented -- To which end, might I prevail upon you to assist with the editorial process (at your leisure)?
I'm happy to help all ways I can but don't forget electret photography project:)! HP plz say when your internet working so know you Ok! I very happy about tutorial resuming soon and all because also like I say has become almost spiritual to me!:)