EHT power supply design and construction

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
I understand twice for symmetrical with shunting capacitor but wouldn't now be sum |forward| plus |reverse| cause need to check charge on capacitor? Sorry that I dumb:(
Ya know... That has to be the most diplomatic correction I've ever encountered!:) We could use you on the Contributors Forum!;) (and I say that as one who has a reputation for being... Um... occasionally less than diplomatic:oops:...) --- All of which is to say (as if you didn't know) you're not stupid! - I AM!!!:oops: --- You're absolutely correct! The maximum reverse EMF apparent across a diode feeding a capacitor (as described) is FAIAP always equal to the peak to peak EMF of the associated waveform - without regard to symmetry! You're one smart "computer generated average Polish lady", @Aleph(0)!!!:mad::D:):):) But hey! In all seriousness, thanks for both actually reading my post and thinking!!! That's what it's all about!:) --- FWIW My error was issue of base lackadaisicalness on two fronts: 1) Neglect of the obvious fact that the 2x factor applies only where (EMF) symmetrical waveforms are involved -- and 2) Inattention to the fact that we were contemplating filtering the output!:oops: -- As a point of interest Roentgen and Coolidge tube implementations often dispense with filtration -- hence the 'kVp' convention...

Again, in the interests of economy, one may often dispense with rectifiers where the anode supply waveform exhibits a high degree of asymmetry -- In which case care must be exercised such that the inverse pulse is of insufficient magnitude to damage the cathode structure via 'reverse conduction' owed to (thermionic) anode emission secondary to a 'hot' focal spot... --- That said; Inasmuch as we are exploring design/construction of general purpose EHT and X-Ray generation apparatus - I suggest we 'stick with' a well filtered scheme (thoughts)?:)

You say my _intimation_ so saying about my love life now?;) Joke:D
I daresay, you are in no position (NPI:rolleyes:) to make sport of other's grammar and usage! [Baby Huey voice]HEY![/Baby Huey voice] you already 'took me to school' on that rectifier issue, how's about giving my "prose" a miss?:(:D

What silane odor?
Silanes have an 'earthy' odour -- Have you ever entered a root cellar or a natural cave? Please make a point of responding to this issue in your next post!:)

I not be slighted when you not posting just worried I said wrong thing and you cross
I promise you -- I don't suffer indignation in silence! -- You'd be the first to know!;):D

also worry that fate catch you or like that:(
So..... How would it be if I got on to my solicitor with instructions to include the following in my final/advanced directives: 'headstone/cenotaph must bear the inscription: "Not Aleph(0)'s Fault" '-- Maybe we could even have a proper Aleph character engraved into the stone?:D:D:D

I having most the tools I'll be shopping for all list not have tell you if not find something
Good deal! --- Chat with you Tue or Wed if not sooner:)

Best regards
HP:):):)

Last edited:

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
HP you say I diplomatic cause I say I dumb now I say you gracious cause you calling self stupid:D
I daresay, you are in no position (NPI:rolleyes:) to make sport of other's grammar and usage
Ha ha! you tell a better joke by say npi disclaim about _position_ after I say about love life:D
So..... How would it be if I got on to my solicitor with instructions to include the following in my final/advanced directives: 'headstone/cenotaph must bear the inscription: "Not Aleph(0)'s Fault" '-- Maybe we could even have a proper Aleph character engraved into the stone?:D:D:D
Not funny joke about unhappy things:( Might can be unlucky too plz stop that ok?:( I check silane compound at lab know that Odor now so can get right silicone:) I will have all on list this week cause some ordered except can't find heat shrink tubes? Happy cause all the time I dabble so happy now see good things through! I looking forward thanks:)

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
@Aleph(0)

In addition to the above listed tools you'll need:

1) A 'Dremel' (or equivalent) 'moto-tool' with a pack of heavy duty cut-off wheels and a grinding stone (If not equipped with a chuck, please make certain you've the appropriate collets)
2) A Large (0.5" Dia) 'rat-tail' file
3) A tubing cutter accommodative of up to 1.5" OD CPVC tubing (note: inasmuch as a clean edge and minimum distortion of the tube is essential I do not recommended use of a hacksaw, etc)

Sorry 'bout that!:(

Best regards
HP

Last edited:

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Hey @Aleph(0) Having carefully considered the matter I feel the best approach is documentation of an actual Re-Fab -- to that end please choose the winding (from the image below) most similar to that which you will be using (upper row 1-3 lower row 4 & 5 --- L to R) don't despair if you don't see 'your winding' I have many, many more...:)
EHT_WDGS_1280x960.JPG

I plan to post the first 'installment' early Wednesday AM -- No problem if you haven't all the materials/tools yet -- the initial procedures require only basic implements...

BTW I've an idea --- please don't take this the wrong way! I've been just as 'guilty' as you! -- My eagerness to keep this discussion public owes to a desire to (between the two of us and anyone else wishing to 'chime in') create a resource for EHT enthusiasts beyond the often much less than satisfactory 'cook book treatment' seen on YouTube, Instructables, etc... Inasmuch as these public fora are 'crawled' by search engine's 'index bots' many interested parties will 'land' here -- Many of whom will be interested in the substantive discussion -- All of whom will be 'put-off' by chit-chat, jokes and small talk... -- Hence my suggestion: Let's format our posts such that all on-topic material is featured first -- Followed by any quasi-personal chit-chat, jokes, rejoinders, etc.. 'below' a delimiter (this post will serve as an example) (thoughts?)

So on to the off topic content -- note the delimiter immediately below and on it's own line...
////////////////////////////////////////////////

HP you say I diplomatic cause I say I dumb now I say you gracious cause you calling self stupid:D
Drollery aside -- You paid me a great honor by first deigning to carefully read my rather tedious post and, further to that, crediting me with the maturity and sincerity to perceive the correction as the good thing it was/is -- Again, thank you!!!:):):)

Ha ha! you tell a better joke by say npi disclaim about _position_ after I say about love life:D
I'm pleased you 'got' my joke!:cool: -- 'Tho I'm bound to say subtle humor is not augmented by exposition...:rolleyes:

Happy cause all the time I dabble so happy now see good things through! I looking forward thanks:)
So am I!:cool: -- thank you!:):):)

I check silane compound at lab know that Odor now so can get right silicone:)
Your earnest pursuit of this project is most gratifying -- again, thanks!:)

Not funny joke about unhappy things:( Might can be unlucky too plz stop that ok?:(
I dedicate the following to my good friend Aleph! :D:

Very best regards
HP

Last edited:

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
Hey @Aleph(0) Having carefully considered the matter I feel the best approach is documentation of an actual Re-Fab -- to that end please choose the winding (from the image below) most similar to that which you will be using (up
2 of the top center is exactly like with collar lugs and no hv lead instead the snap except my one is pot in silicone like fb#5 below it that ok:)? I try test hv winding before do all and to waste the stuff cause ohm test not help find short turn only open or total shorted you plz say how to test? My thoughts are your idea about say content separation is lovely:) You right about YT hv vids and sci forums one moron say frequency set by cap and choke instead cap and inductance secondary then other morons like the thoughtless parrot say it everywhere and on physics forum I say they wrong by give explanation and they're like cool thanks not even embarrassed:rolleyes: They just regurgitate dreck from other sites on web I very happy they change wrong information but not happy cause I don't think they learn lesson:( I forgot you ask my thoughts about filtered hv output yes me too so can work for like universal hv ps:)
///////////////
there is _delineator_ not delimiter silly! Now my numpty talking is contagious:p?
YT vids not play on here but to play in browser why so? Maybe superstitious ha ha but I care too so don't die or killed:(

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
HP for the testing circuit will you say 2n3773 or 2n3055 for active part? When try to play YT vid on page sys clock loses 1hr do you know why that?

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
2 of the top center is exactly like with collar lugs and no hv lead instead the snap except my one is pot in silicone like fb#5 below it that ok
Excellent!:) Inasmuch as similarity of the auxiliary winding assembly is more important than that of the potting material I'll use the LOPT at position 2 as the 'demonstration subject'...

I try test hv winding before do all and to waste the stuff cause ohm test not help find short turn only open or total shorted you plz say how to test?
As I understand the (above) quoted text you're stating that you wish to dynamically test the EHT winding prior to committing work and materials to a possibly defective winding? -- First off yes you're quite correct in your assertion that DC resistance measurement will not detect a single nor even a comparatively modest number of 'short circuit turns' moreover, as you seem to apprehend, even one such turn is as a shorted 'secondary' and, as such, is 'fatal' to the winding... Although such a test could, in principle, be preformed via measurement of the winding's reactance/inductance a more satisfactory assay of overall electrical integrity requires examination at EMFs more closely approaching intended operating conditions --- Such is readily achieved via a 'half-Royer' arrangement -- note that, inasmuch as you need operate the circuit for no more than five seconds a 'hay-wired' arrangement sans heat sink is acceptable

The circuit linked below will suffice for test purposes -- note, however, that the feed-back phasing is shown incorrectly!:rolleyes:

http://www.powerlabs.org/images/schematic1.gif

HP for the testing circuit will you say 2n3773 or 2n3055 for active part?
For these purposes just use a 2n3055, a 2 turn feedback winding and a 4 turn primary, secure the core pieces with elastic-bands (don't forget to include air-gap spacers at each core junction) - establish a two-centimeter arc gap (EHT output connector to EHT return) then power the circuit with Ca 20V if no arc double-check phasing and/or increase feedback turns to 3 --- Important! While anticipated operation indicates a good winding, failure to operate does not necessarily indicate a defective one! IOW If you can't get the circuit working let's 'talk' prior to your 'tossing' the winding!:) Of course it goes without saying that this circuit is 'horse dung' start to finish! -- Suitable only for the brief test described - please don't even think of regarding same as a design example!!!:eek::D

End of strictly on-topic content:
/////////////////////////
You right about YT hv vids and sci forums one moron say frequency set by cap and choke instead cap and inductance secondary then other morons like the thoughtless parrot say it everywhere and on physics forum I say they wrong by give explanation and they're like cool thanks not even embarrassed:rolleyes:
Oh! yes! that particular misnomer has been floating 'round for quite some time now!:rolleyes: The worst of it, IMO being the obvious fact that, clearly, they neither comprehend -- nor care to comprehend -- the most basal aspects of their self proclaimed area of 'expertise':mad::rolleyes:

Sadly said species of laxity is not confined to avocational sites but, in fact, extends to 'safety-of-life centric' services as well (certain 'esteemed' medical reference sites come to mind) --- While anyone can make a mistake only a knuckle-dragging idiot recites info sans the least original thought or research! --- hence it is that the 'web' is abuzz with BS from/endorsed by many ostensibly 'reputable' sites who prefer reliance upon 'the greatest hit count' to original thought/research - as if truth is a popularity contest:confused: --- Bottom line: there is no excuse for failure to do one's own thinking or, at very least, conscientious sourcing! - period!:mad:

on physics forum I say they wrong by give explanation and they're like cool thanks not even embarrassed:rolleyes:
Might I assume you 'bumped' your eloquence up a few orders of magnitude during that exchange? -- No! on second thoughts, reaching those yobs would require a marked downward adjustment:D -- Seriously- kudos on your improvement of the WWW knowledge base!:D -- But embarrassment from a 'cyber-subby'!? -- Now that is asking a bit much!;)

there is _delineator_ not delimiter silly!
'Delineator' is a broader term -- the series of forward slashes (as used) functions as a paragraph delimiter -- But, hey! Don't let me discourage you! There's always room for one more cadet at the proofreader-police academy!:D:D:D

YT vids not play on here but to play in browser why so?
When try to play YT vid on page sys clock loses 1hr do you know why that?
Sounds like a VPN or firewall issue -- The former 'symptom' owing, perhaps, to 'flash' security settings --- Whereas the latter may be flash (or other software) 'meddling' with system settings in response to a discrepancy in 'geo-detected' location vs actual location:rolleyes: --- I just don't know where we'd be without Microsoft, Adobe and their ilk at the ready to look after our every need....:rolleyes::mad:

Please be advised that 'PC troubles' don't come 'neatly' under my purview -- even wise old Google will likely be of greater assistance:oops:

Maybe superstitious ha ha but I care too so don't die or killed:(
Well, ok! I was thinking maybe I'd walk out in front of a truck today (just for kicks) but in deference to you it's off to the Hobie Cat regatta:rolleyes: -- You can sure take the zest out of life, Aleph(0);)

Very Best regards
HP:)

Last edited:

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
HP thank you for understand about test hv winding I have question about lv ps cause not to get hv and the rf energies to lines I build with hermetic line emi filter for variac and primary for transformer. Now secondary circuit is just the 100amps 250volts bridge diode module and 20 ,000uf 200volts electrolytic caps I put movs and unidirectional ovp protectors and 10nf mica cap in shunt with dc terminals I wind power cord onto ferrite choke piece too I wait for you posting then answer all you say total:)
now here just _delimiter_ then:p
////////////////
Now I say death not funny for subject to joke about! Think about you decaying in coffin make me cry so stop bad taste joke:(!

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Hey @Aleph(0) In the interests of 'tidiness' I'm going to make two posts: This post will discuss testing of the EHT windings -- while the subsequent message will address your inquires/comments...K?:D

As per your (well advised) desire to test the winding I have 'kludged together' the (lame! lame! lame!) setup described in another post and shown in the images below -- Firstly, here's a link to a correctly drawn (half-Royer) schematic -- Incredibly, this is one of very few indicative of correct phasing to be found on the 'web' -- Aleph, my friend, seems we've got our work cut out for us!!!:rolleyes:

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/aonomus/High Voltage/b2298ac6.gif

So... my idea was to see how simply (read poorly) a test circuit could be constructed yet yield unequivocal confirmation of winding integrity -- Please note: It is not possible to over-emphasize the fact that - apart from 'one-off' verification of LOPT EHT windings -- the circuit as designed and constructed is, utterly unsuited to *any* purpose whatever!!!

So... With no further ado here's the appallingly 'hay-wired' test arrangement -- Note: the single change made (relative to the above linked schematic) is addition of a polypropylene capacitor in a purely token effort at maintenance of some semblance of 'signal containment' -- The power handling characteristics of the resistors are disproportionate to their 'roles' in the circuit and generally over-sized (said components being ready to hand), note, also, that the etched mica capacitor is not connected...

Appalling but adequate to its purpose test arrangement:
TestKludge.JPG

If you look closely, you'll see a low current 1.8 cm AC arc (consistent with an EMF ~ 15kV P-P) indicative of a properly functioning coil...:)
15kV 50uA arc
15kVArc.JPG

Here is the (half wave rectified/filtered) output EMF as read on an EHT indicatior -- Note that the indication at the instant of image capture (14kV) is fully 6kV down from the initial reading of 20kV at power-up less than ten seconds previous (said decline owing to hFE/Beta fall-off with increasing BJT temperature -- the 'price' of neglecting heat sinking)

Peak EHT indication following 10 seconds operation @ ~30uA
EHTkV.JPG

So, to summarize:

Advantages:
-May be assembled in approximately 10 Min
-Dynamically tests winding at near operating EMF and frequency
-Very low power (typically<1W) -- hence 'stray' arcs are not instantly damaging to assembly or conductor insulation.
-Observance or rigorous safety measures not required

Disadvantages:
-Copious RFI
-Rapid output fall-off with operation
-BJT failure with protracted or poorly paced operation
-Generally appalling design and construction is quite embarrassing to present!:oops:

Conclusion: A rapidly assembled, highly adequate solution to impromptu EHT winding examination -- 'hold your nose' and go for it!:cool::D

Best regards
HP

Last edited:

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
thank you for understand about test hv winding
On the contrary - My apologies for failing to recommend it prior to disassembly!:oops:

I have question about lv ps cause not to get hv and the rf energies to lines I build with hermetic line emi filter for variac and primary for transformer. Now secondary circuit is just the 100amps 250volts bridge diode module and 20 ,000uf 200volts electrolytic caps I put movs and unidirectional ovp protectors and 10nf mica cap in shunt with dc terminals
I can't seem to find a question in there?:confused: If you're asking for input as regards your low voltage supply - here goes:

First off -- kudos on recognition of the fact that voltage regulation is both unnecessary and troublesome in this application!:)

I build with hermetic line emi filter
Good! -- Just be certain it is rated to the maximum anticipated primary current plus a reasonable safety factor!:)

variac and primary for transformer
Good again! Via incorporation of the variac in the primary circuit of the SD transformer you've established (ohmic) line isolation -- one caveat: (perhaps) counter intuitively a variac's current handling ability/rating applies over it's entire transformation range -- Should you desire elaboration on this point please advise!:)

Now secondary circuit is just the 100amps 250volts bridge diode module and 20 ,000uf 200volts electrolytic caps
Unless you have incorporated inrush limiting circuitry/devices it may be advisable to 'dial' the variac to it's minimum setting prior to power-up...

I put movs and unidirectional ovp protectors and 10nf mica cap in shunt with dc terminals
Excellent! For best results make certain the RF filter capacitor is of 'stacked' -- as opposed to 'rolled' -- construction...

I wind power cord onto ferrite choke piece too
Good move! -- Here's a 'kink' I've found useful -- operate the PSU from a GFCI receptacle -- Owing to 'detection' and imbalances attendant thereto - the slightest common-mode -or- differential RF/'hash' will cause tripping -- while said response should not be 'counted upon' for protection, non-eventful operation is a good indicator of electrical 'cleanliness' on the power cord!

IMO everything seems well considered!:):):) -- Although you made no mention of OCPs I'll assume they 'went without saying'?:)
Very pleased (and more than a little relived) to be in correspondence with an intelligent, motivated individual!!!:):):)

End of On topic content
////////////////////////////

I say death not funny for subject to joke about!
Neither, for that matter, are taxes but whatcha gonna do? Jokes compare favorably to moping and denial:cool:

Think about you decaying in coffin make me cry
While I must confess to said thought falling short of the cheeriest notion to have ever crossed my mind as well -- I'm bound to say, bitter though tears can be, 'ripening' outside of my coffin may make you gag!:eek::D:D:D

Here's an idea -- I've a Birthday coming up -- If you scrape together some pocket change and buy me one of these:

http://www.blcremationsystems.com/PhoenixII-1.html

I promise no more visions of mortal corruption:D Then too, as a fringe benefit, prior to my sad departure, I'll be equipped to give the likes of Domino's, Gabriel's and Prezzo a run for their money:p

Sweet dreams!:D

Last edited:

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
@Aleph(0)

Please advise as to your progress!:)
If your (selected) winding tests good we'll move ahead with the 'tutorial':) -- otherwise I'll be happy to assist with 'debugging':cool:

IOW - Your move:D

Very best regards

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
HP Hi I sorry about not post earlier having testing hv wdg now transistor get hot without hv output unless lv 25v or higher then 3cm strike gap! Is good or need 25v for input means troubles? arc is brighter than in your pic so more ua why that for same circuit? Why glass tray are white rectangle paraffin wax for? HP You shouldn't say circuit lame I like can know wdg ok with not the fuss stop be embarrassed should be very happy you not the dreary by the book clockwork power martinet:) Very happy you like my lv ps ideas thanks for lovely kindness suggestions:) I question about induction winding make use for xray too? may easier to get than antique flyback so I ask just to know cause I more happy about use fb:)
here's delimiter:D
//////////////////
Might I assume you 'bumped' your eloquence up a few orders of magnitude during that exchange?
;)
Here's an idea -- I've a Birthday coming up -- If you scrape together some pocket change and buy me one of these:

http://www.blcremationsystems.com/PhoenixII-1.html

I promise no more visions of mortal corruption:D Then too, as a fringe benefit, prior to my sad departure, I'll be equipped to give the likes of Domino's, Gabriel's and Prezzo a run for their money:p
Ha ha! I get gifts burn me up too:D! Except that one macabre jokes not funny! You made me cry to be thinking about how your life meaningless for you now I hope you're proud of your self:(! I know too I'm not much!:( In like 500 years or very sooner no one know or care I ever lived all then forgotten moldy bones or whatever So I say best not to dwell on it:) I wait for you say if my fb ok:)

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
transistor get hot without hv output unless lv 25v or higher then 3cm strike gap! Is good or need 25v for input means troubles? arc is brighter than in your pic so more ua why that for same circuit?
Your winding tests good!:) The 'irreproducibility' of operating parameters/conditions is merely an 'artifact' of very poor driver design (if 'design' my be applied to such a travesty) -- Specifically; undue criticality vested in factors effecting primary/feedback mutual inductance (e.g. turns ratio, winding geometry, relative winding positions, core material and dimensions, core air-gap, etc...) Moreover the the arc intensity (Re: my setup) was considerably greater than apparent in the image...

Why glass tray are white rectangle paraffin wax for?
The following assumes your question inquires after my use of a glass tray and petroleum 'wax' cakes in the demo images...

The glass tray is a certified RF-lucent borosilicate tray salvaged from a 'microwave' oven -- The 'wax' is the common (room temperature) solid alkane solution marketed for canning, etc...-- Please note: I avoid the term 'paraffin wax' inasmuch as the substance is not a true wax and the term 'paraffin' is ambiguous... The tray is employed as a non-conductive surface and heat shield -- the 'wax' cakes are used as electrical insulators, spacers, etc...

I question about induction winding make use for xray too? may easier to get than antique flyback so I ask just to know cause I more happy about use fb:)
Do you mean something like this?:

14cm (120kV) Arc
InductionCoil.JPG
Here the (differentially connected) coils are driven by a 'phase-chopped' 200Hz, 100V, 500W bipolar ramp generator:

Problem is the EHT 'component' represents only a small fraction of total available power
The arc demonstration is rather deceiving in the case of induction coils and their ilk inasmuch as they produce only very narrow (3-18 uSecs) and widely 'spaced' EHT pulses serving only to open (i.e. ionize) a path for the much lower (OC) EMF 'shoulders' thus creating the illusion that several hundred watts of power at EHT potential is available -- when, in fact, said availability is typically limited (even under ideal load conditions) to as little as 0.0002 (i.e. 1/5000'th) the power achievable under short circuit (i.e. arc) conditions --- These statements are generally applicable to all low interruption frequency, flyback and cis-forward conversion topologies...

End of on-topic content
////////////////////////////////////////////////

You shouldn't say circuit lame I like can know wdg ok with not the fuss stop be embarrassed should be very happy you not the dreary by the book clockwork power martinet
While I appreciate your appreciation - I am compelled to point to the fact that -- whatever their shortcomings in the ways of imagination and creativity -- 'martinets' more than compensate for through their propensity for getting things done correctly the first time every time! -- Or to paraphrase an oft recounted monition: "the book was written for silly people like you and I so's we don't get lost in our reveries":D:cool: --- That said yes! Expediency is always tempting, often productive, occasionally appropriate and never aesthetic!:)

Except that one macabre jokes not funny! You made me cry to be thinking about how your life meaningless for you now I hope you're proud of your self
Um... actually... If I implied anything it was that my death was meaningless...:D -- Moreover I doubt your sensibilities are that delicate!;)

I know too I'm not much!:( In like 500 years or very sooner no one know or care I ever lived
That's a bit maudlin, Aleph -- Were you one of those kids who shirked her chores on the basis that any work she did wouldn't stay done forever so why bother? Seems I met someone like that once...;););):D
Anyway, if its any consolation, every effect you produce - no matter how slight, changes the universe forever:) - Indeed! In as comparatively little time as 500 years many of those folk who 'won't know or care that you existed' will, in fact, unwittingly owe their existence to you!:) --- A fact that no conscientious Aleph(0) should ignore!:D

all then forgotten moldy bones or whatever
Take my word for it! you will never be 'moldy bones' nor any manner of organic/corporal flotsam - for the selfsame reason that neither you nor anyone is any aspect of their body, even in life! --- Get it? Mind and body are distinct entities...
Don't allow the ephemeral bio-mechanical apparatus that serves as your interface to this paradigm (dubiously) dubbed 'reality' to become your prison! -- Just tend to its maintenance and try to enjoy the ride as far as it takes you! For now you'll have to settle for 'IFR' --- When, in the fulness of time, you shed the interface you will find reality to be directly perceivable...:) --- Do I sound as if I'm proselytizing? I hope not - I don't consider myself 'religious' in the conventional sense of the adjective, although cognizance of the spiritual nature of the human mind seems vested in all experience...

Well hey! --- Now that your winding's integrity has been established I'll get rolling on the rebuild!:) -- My first 'installment' is planed for early Saturday (I've got a lot of photography to 'do') -- In the meantime please advise me as to your 'implement/material' situation?

Very best regards

Last edited:

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
HP first I say about list needed for upgrade fb hope you like I had the learning curve try to get your list here:(
1) 'Tyre-style' LOPT dissembled as per post #4 of this thread
1) 0.75"(ID) (nominal) * 8"(Len) CPVC Tubing
1) 1.25"(OD) * 2.5"(Hgt) Polypropylene Pharmaceutical vial
1) 90 ml tube of electronics grade RTV silicone adhesive/sealant (Important: Verify EG 'status' by noting presence of a silane -- as opposed to an acetic acid, odour in the uncured product!)
4) 0.75"(ID) *4"(Len) (Initial Dimensions) heat-shrink tubes
1) 60ml vial of 'HV' lacquer (a.k.a. 'Corona Dope', etc...)
1) 3mm(Dia) * 120mm(Len) section of threaded stock complete with 4 burs
-Solder(Non-ROHS!), soldering 'wick', etc

-scalpel
-Hemostat
-Standard Pliers
-small locking pliers
-Needle nose pliers
-Precision screw/nut drivers, etc...
-'Ignition point' file or 300+ 'grit' emery cloth/paper
-Soldering tools
-Heat gun
-VOM, 'Mini-clip' Jumpers, etc...
Ok for fb wdg a duh!:D
Ok for cpvc
How to know pill bottle pp?
got 5 tubes of electronics type rtv and has the silane odor:D
now have heat shrink tubes too
not find hv paint yet:(
not have threaded stock but like 15cm shankless screw and nuts is Ok?
have solder not worry never again will use rohs:D!

Ok scalpel have set of unused genuine articles:)
Ok hemostats
Ok pliers
Ok little visegrip
Ok needle nose plyer
Have regular tools and for jeweler tool is ok?
have electric contact file?
yes soldering and desoldering station
Ok for heatgun
Ok for test equipment leads and stuff:)

HP have important happy things want say can't right now cause out of time I also say I saw your pm I answer latter so you not worry now ok?

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
@Aleph(0)

First and foremost:

Ok scalpel have set of unused genuine articles:)
Please tell me you didn't go to that expense just for this project!:eek:-- A $10 X-Acto set would have sufficed!:( --- If so, I implore you to advise me such that I may reimburse your expense! -- There's no need for you to suffer for my lack of clarity!!! --- Aleph! I'm serious! - I want you to pursue and come away from this project and line of study with a good feeling! - This is supposed to be entertaining, educational and relaxing -- not expensive!:( Know also that it is a simple matter to securely get the funds to you sans breach of anonymity on either part - so please don't let that stand in your way! -- And please! I don't want to here a single word as regards "not accepting charity..." this is not charity!!! Upon reflection there was no need whatever for my use of the word 'scalpel' -- my insistence upon 'precise speech' has cost you a significant amount of money for which I am truly very, very sorry!:( --- All of which is to say; allowing me to make it right will be a great favor to me!!! --- I expect to hear from you on this matter ASAP!:)

To continue:

Have regular tools and for jeweler tool is ok?
Yes -- "jeweler's" drivers/wrenches in addition to standard tools are quite satisfactory!:)

not have threaded stock but like 15cm shankless screw and nuts is Ok?
Yes -- so long as the bolt is aproximately 3mm in Dia (e.g. #6)

not find hv paint yet:(
Here's the product I use with excellent results -- note: If you do not wish to 'fool' with shipping said product is stocked by most "bricks and mortar" NTE distributors!:)
http://www.alliedelec.com/gc-electronics-10-4702/70159781/

OBTW the product's shelf life is greatly extended via inverted storage:)

How to know pill bottle pp?
Here's an image of polypropylene pharmaceutical vial (base up) -- close inspection of the '"three o'clock" area will reveal the numeral '5' bound by a 'reclamation triangle" polymer #5=polypropylene -- Although, in this instance, the abbreviation 'pp' may be seen below the triangle such is not always present or accurate - the numeral inside the symbol is all that is required by the 'protocol'... --- As to availability; most pharmacies will sell up to 20 vials at minimal price - so just ask!:):):)

P_Vial.JPG

End of on-topic content
//////////////////////////////////

HP have important happy things want say can't right now cause out of time I also say I saw your pm I answer latter so you not worry now ok?
Again, this is supposed to be fun and, perhaps, at times pleasantly challenging --- never stressful! Participation on your own terms is all I ask or expect!!! :):):)

With utmost sincerity
HP

PS FYI the first 'installment' should post sometime tomorrow (Saturday) morning:)

Last edited:

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
HP thank about concerns for me about scalpels I already have so didn't buy now! Not worth 5,000 dollars like you tell on email cause not autoclaveable platinum gebruder like that! You care about my experience of studies so I happy but if was stupid to spend all that for scalpels not your fault at all even cause you said no need real surgical instrument! If cause you like say I'm smart you need say then too I responsible for if I do dumb choice like that!:D I think lovely you think on me like kid sis or daughter figure so only don't forget to think like I'm grown up relative Ok?:D Sorry about this not below delimiter like want cause wanted say first!:) Could not find shop for hv dope so ordered now:) What means inverted storage? Thanks for pic to pill bottle id now have:) Thanks for showing pic of arcs and explaining about why induction coil not best for hvps!:)
you said
PS FYI the first 'installment' should post sometime tomorrow (Saturday) morning:)
No hurries maybe not time read before Monday anyway -- very happy looking forward to though!:)
here is delimiter
////////////
You said
That's a bit maudlin, Aleph -- Were you one of those kids who shirked her chores on the basis that any work she did wouldn't stay done forever so why bother? Seems I met someone like that once...;););):D
Ha ha like scullery washing up and mowing the lawns?;)
you said
Anyway, if its any consolation, every effect you produce - no matter how slight, changes the universe forever
:) - Indeed! In as comparatively little time as 500 years many of those folk who 'won't know or care that you existed' will, in fact, unwittingly owe their existence to you!:) --- A fact that no conscientious Aleph(0) should ignore!:D

Take my word for it! you will never be 'moldy bones' nor any manner of organic/corporal flotsam - for the selfsame reason that neither you nor anyone is any aspect of their body, even in life! --- Get it? Mind and body are distinct entities...
Don't allow the ephemeral bio-mechanical apparatus that serves as your interface to this paradigm (dubiously) dubbed 'reality' to become your prison! -- Just tend to its maintenance and try to enjoy the ride as far as it takes you! For now you'll have to settle for 'IFR' --- When, in the fulness of time, you shed the interface you will find reality to be directly perceivable...:) --- Do I sound as if I'm proselytizing? I hope not - I don't consider myself 'religious' in the conventional sense of the adjective, although cognizance of the spiritual nature of the human mind seems vested in all experience...
What beautiful and lovely things to say! Now really am choked up! I know about you say power of perspective can't always live there though I try all time:( I not proud to be so morbid and neurotic:( thank you for care!:) You said
Again, this is supposed to be fun and, perhaps, at times pleasantly challenging
It is that for me! Such happy thing to look forward to:) But for you too much say intense! Like worried about me if buy expensive instruments plz relax so you be happy too ok?

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
No hurries maybe not time read before Monday anyway -- very happy looking forward to though!:)
On that note please expect said post sometime Monday!:) Truth be told I can use the extra time to assess the approach and get the images right!!! -- Having just 'escaped' ruining your 'fun' via over-expenditure on tools - I have no desire to do so with abbreviated instruction leading to mutilated EHT winding{s}:eek:

Many, many sincere thanks for your kind words!!! --- Will respond in full to your post Monday!:):):)

Best regards
HP

Last edited: