EHT power supply design and construction

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
IMPORTANT:
To everybody who knows my gmail addy

Some puke has totally hijacked my gmail account cuz password, security questions and recovery addys are all changed so it's totally unrecoverable:mad:! PLEASE DON'T SEND ANYTHING TO THAT ADDY! Cuz you'd just be sending to hijacker!

Anyhow I'm switching everything to my dad's old yahoo addy (named for character in LOTR trilogy) so anyone who knows my gmail address and doesn't recognize which yahoo addy I mean from LOTR clue plz ask HP, JC or Theodora at their Gmail addresses!

Scuse me while I slam a liter of nitro to get my BP under control:mad:

Being clear this is NOT an AAC problem! It's totally a google problem!
Sorry to hear that, Aleph... in my case, I have my yahoo account "chained" to my mobile phone number. So it's impossible to log in to said account (which I know for a fact that has been attacked several times by people from all over the world trying to hijack it... unsuccessfully, thank God) without my phone. And even if someone were to steal my phone, I can remotely wipe it out, and brick it... also, I have legal ownership of its number, so restoring it would be a matter of hours.

You may want to consider that option for whatever primary email address you've chosen to replace the old Google one with.

Jazz2C

Joined May 27, 2016
Which brings up a vital, as of yet unresolved, point -- To wit: Determination of the maximum initial monetary outlay generally acceptable to our target demographic? @Jazz2C your input would likely be quite helpful here?:)
For the testing program I agree with your all expenses paid plan!:cool: So I think ppl following the courses on their own would go at least $1500 on parts tools and materials, more than that if you offer online Q&A or troubleshooting support:)

'Wasted Spark',
Hp the cool deal with wasted spark coils is how they're true isolation transformers! But the turns ratio is pretty low like 1:100 based on inductance ratios so yeah! We're talking strictly Delta_I/Delta_T drivers. Just for sh__s and giggles I tried operating one on a 400Hz sine wave once but it just overheated w/o much output. Saturation definitely maybe eddy currents too. AFAIK the CDI module hits the primary with abt 200V pulses so the output voltage is huge for the first few hundred nanoseconds then rings away giving an average output of like 10kV. It takes a bandwidth of 500MHz or so and o/c compensated HV probes to get a good look at the output. It's tempting to tell ppl who don't get it "Hey just rectify it into a cap and do the math!" but try to find rectifiers that fast! S'pose you could use Schottkys on the low side of the divider but by then the waveform is totally effed up!o_O:(

Some puke has totally hijacked my gmail account
Hey A0! look at the bright side! So your thow-away gmail account was swiped! Big deal! At least equifax says you weren't affected by their negligence:) Me either! But the word of the fox in charge of the hen house doesn't impress me much:rolleyes:

Last edited:
For the testing program I agree with your all expenses paid plan!:cool:
Speaking of which -- Please confirm that all's set for the 3'rd!

So I think ppl following the courses on their own would go at least $1500 on parts tools and materials, more than that if you offer online Q&A or troubleshooting support:)
--Emphasis Added--

Gratis assistance will, of course, be available to all interested readers -- FWIW, I far prefer they register such that said support may be administered in an interactive environment for the benefit/edification of all interested parties - including ourselves:)

Hp the cool deal with wasted spark coils is how they're true isolation transformers!
Correct!:) Fun for series-ing secondaries while (simultaneously) I_Mode PWMing the primaries;) Practicality aside - 50cm 'lightning bolts' make for impressive demonstration!:D

But the turns ratio is pretty low like 1:100
Which being typical of automotive ignition coils in general...

We're talking strictly Delta_I/Delta_T drivers.
You got it!:cool:

Just for sh__s and giggles I once tried driving one with a 400Hz sine wave but the coil overheated before I could crank the primaey voltage up enough for much output.
So that's the best your generation can manage in the way of decadence sans imbibing?!:confused:o_O:p

It takes a bandwidth of 500MHz or so and o/c compensated HV probes to get a good look at the output. It's tempting to tell ppl who don't get it "Hey just rectify it into a cap and do the math!" but try to find rectifiers that fast! S'pose you could use Schottkys on the low side of the divider but by then the waveform is totally effed up!o_O:(
Indeed... Devising a method demonstrative of the fleeting nature of 'peri-peak' output 'on the cheap' poses a challenging exercise! -- For all that, the asymmetry of said 'spike' (and, indeed, the output 'burst' in general) may obviate the necessity of rectification for the purposes at hand... While observation of the minuscule output of a Coolidge tube thus powered presents itself to mind - such is, of course, utterly inadmissible!:eek: -- Trifling 'tho it may seem, a few Joules per kg (in an 'organic' context) is a whole lot of hurt - and then some... Yes! Yes! - I know! But would you wager your 'fortunes', liberty or -in any event- clear conscience against the potential (npi) presence of 'tube huggers' in "the land 'o newbies"? -- I know I wouldn't!:rolleyes:

Hey A0! look at the bright side! So your thow-away gmail account was swiped! Big deal! At least equifax says you weren't affected by their negligence:) Me either! But the word of the fox in charge of the hen house doesn't impress me much
:rolleyes:
--Emphasis Added--

Ditto and Ditto... I despair the fool who 'takes them up' on their offer of gratis credit monitoring serviceo_O:rolleyes: -- Their handling of the entire affair tells me all I need -and very much more than I desire- to know about their standards and, indeed, motives!

Some puke has totally hijacked my gmail account cuz password, security questions and recovery addys are all changed so it's totally unrecoverable:mad:! PLEASE DON'T SEND ANYTHING TO THAT ADDY! Cuz you'd just be sending to hijacker!
I concur with JC -- Outrageous though it may seem - you lost only a disposable Account! Your insistence upon 'compartmentalization' paid off! To render your mantra: Be happy!:cool:

At least equifax says you weren't affected by their negligence:)
Seems Aleph's 'US origins' is with some advantages inasmuch as Equifax's 'potential impact' site requires a (US) SSN -- But then tea leaves are likely a more credible resource:rolleyes:

Very best regards
HP

Last edited:

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
I concur with JC -- Outrageous though it may seem - you lost only a disposable Account! Your insistence upon 'compartmentalization' paid off! To render your mantra: Be happy!:cool:
Fwiw I got it back cuz I knew old password and recovery addy plus number used for verification during acct creation process! So Google said they're banned from all google services on all connected accounts which seems to be true cuz youtube accts were just closed down plus I contacted their employer based on info in email left on pirated acct to expose them as hacker they are! So I hope that gets them the sack too:D!

So HP relax! I cleared it through legal first and they sent out the expose! Hijacker's messages became my property when they composed them on my acct! So HB explained that's why Google deleted inbox but not sent emails b4 they restored access to me! OBTW according to law I own all quoted text too and hijacker is totally liable for breach of privacy of ppl they quoted:cool: So o/c it would be totally illegal to use it for extortion cuz extortion is always illegal but there's no privacy protection against me cuz I totally own the info!

So I'm feeling pretty good about all that but I'll never trust Google for security again cuz it was 15 character nonsensical PW:rolleyes:

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
@HP Re: possible damage to lab instruments from accident

If they still work and don't show signs of physical damage I say I can just use them cuz there's no reason going to trouble of replacing equip that maybe isn't broken in first place!

Anyway consensus is dust from SRS deployment is just talc and vegetable starch and maybe traces sodium azide and hydrazoic acid none of which imo can damage the test gear! So it's just impact forces which since instruments were securely stowed is all just vibration and Gs on whole car (which is way lower than if they bounced around). So it's your call but I say we just recalibrate for good measure (npi) and take it from there:)!

HP I say ur taking tolerance of human error too far making excuses for the creep! After all thanks to his negligence of not troubling to just look b4 he pulled out in front of u now your car is totally demolished, equipment with like $100k replacement cost is questionable and the worst part of it is u could have just as easily been killed as walked away! So I totally understand how you're just happy no one was injured or worse but that's no reason to cut him any slack cuz no one being hurt in 55 mph t-bone collision is either miracle of fate or thanks to car manufacturers for crash worthiness! It has nothing to do with him cuz all he did was cause accident:mad:!

HP just so u know I've sent this to all your addys and posted it here plus left VM message so redundancy is just so you know how I stand on lab gear! Cuz I say if it calibrates it's prolly ok and if it's not out of calibration to start with then it wasn't affected by accident at all! So I hope u see this b4 placing order! And if not u know by timestamp I tried to reach u every way cuz u can't blame me for having text blocked on ur phones:p

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
HP Abt cold eicosane potting:

So for benefit of other readers u said to dissolve paraffin wax in gasoline to get consistency of like 80 weight gear oil then just let gasoline evaporate after potting for same result as pouring 350°F wax over potted assy but w/o heat!

So here's problem:

HP u said to use _white gasoline_ to avoid undesirable additives so what I can find is like u said same distillate profile cuz it has exact same characteristic _naphtha_ odor as motor fuel grade gasoline but everywhere I've looked it's always ruined by red dye:mad:! So plz tell me where to buy just _water-clear_ white gasoline!

We used to refer to Coleman fuel as 'white gas'. Similar to the stuff that used to be sold as 'white gas' for old ranges, burners etc. Back then, the term meant no tetraethyl lead or other additives.
--Emphasis Added--
And indeed antiquated 'blow lamp' fuel:cool:
Antiquebl.jpg

Sadly, it seems @Aleph(0) is correct in her observation that said products now contain red (or, as I have only recently discovered, occasionally green) dye -- perhaps that such aren't confused with 'motor fuels' for taxation purposes? -- in which case such may be as per state/province or otherwise regional regulations...

Best regards and thanks for your input/interest:)
HP

Last edited:
@Aleph(0) & @Jazz2C

Here's the 'embedded version' on its own thread...

I'm bound to say that should the testers experience as much difficulty as I we'll need to do better:oops:

Please note that I've prepared post #1293 as a 'fall back'...

While, 'at first blush', such manual loading seems a painless solution to the 'bandwidth crisis' - bewarned that returning from the images is irksome at best (i.e. closing the image closes one's AAC session:mad: - whereas 'back arrowing' reloads the entire page) -- Hence my suggestion of Right-click → Open link in new tab...

@Jazz2C -- Please aquatint the 'Alpha team' with post #1295 and the above outlined expedient should they experience difficulty with the 'embedded version' - Under no circumstances must this issue interfere with scheduled alpha testing!

Best regards
HP

Last edited:

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
@Hypatia's Protege

So JC says he has everything set for Tuesday and some ppl have seen tutorial thread already b4 he even knew abt it:) So hopefully he can be on here later to give consensus! So like I said on thread it works well if u wait for everything to load so I say plz just move tutorial posts down and make post 1 a warning for readers to give pics a chance to load b4 scrolling down:cool:!

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
Disagreeing with statements
Shortbus you aren't disagreeing you're gainsaying there's a huge difference! You got all nasty abt that price and wage thing and just wouldn't let it go! Shortbus plz get real! HP just keeps giving you benefit of the doubt but I can't anymore after your totally transparent playing dumb abt induction coils! I mean a joke is fine but nobody was laughing and u just kept it going! So now HP gives safety warning in case someone takes post about SRS module literally and you come from nowhere just to be contrary with dangerously incomplete info! So even if your experience is exactly what u said what you got by with doesn't mean bad things can't happen! Some heavy smokers live long lives and some ppl make it to old age crossing streets w/o looking but that doesn't mean it's good way to do things cuz one proof is worth an infinity of examples!

the air bags in American cars don't store anything to set them off
That's just exactly an example of what I'm talking abt! Not all cars are American! And also are you absolutely sure abt all American cars? Are you sure no one put foreign equipment in American car? Are you sure enough to make statements that could give someone false sense of security tampering with dangerous equipment?

I do understand that neither of you is used to being "challenged" on things
Challenges are good cuz that's how ppl learn like with your vry good suggestions for meter mounting and micrometer instead of caliper:)! But just digging feet in and saying ur right isn't challenge it just wastes time and patience! When we disagreed with you abt meter mounting you explained why you thought your way is better and we agreed! Then when we disagreed abt ignition coils and explained why they aren't suitable with long posts and even diagrams you just kept saying ur right and giving irrelevant examples! So if anybody has a problem with being challenged it's you! And even if you think we're total morons what was to gain by going on and on just cuz we rejected one suggestion out of three?

I don't know about EHT and was asking questions to learn more and both of you jumped in my sh!t.
Shortbus that's not true! You asked questions and when you didn't like answers you just started insisting ur right w/o bringing anything new to the discussion or even paying attention to posts explaining how flyback topology works! Imo you betrayed duplicity by citing sillier and sillier irrelevancies like they were proof of something!

Shortbus I consider myself a nice person and I don't like to treat ppl unfairly! So plz just look at posts and u can see that hard feelings started with price and wage thing! So one or both of us (HP or I) must have said something you took as deep insult but I really don't know what it was:( So anyhow I'm totally willing to listen and HP is always willing to hear all sides! If we owe you an apology I can totally say it's for a misunderstanding or being accidentally insensitive not a deliberate insult:(!

PS Sry abt _texting_ brevity! I'm trying to break habit but I'm not quite there yet:oops:

Last edited:
HP it totally works for me even with lame VPN:)! But u have to let all pics totally load b4 browsing thread. So I say you should rearrange posts so top post tells readers that:cool:!
--Emphasis Added--
I say plz just move tutorial posts down and make post 1 a warning for readers to give pics a chance to load b4 scrolling down:cool:!
I'll be delighted to heed your suggestion as soon as you make room via deletion of post #3 from the Tutorial Proofing thread!:mad:

Alas! My Godlike 'thread starter' powers don't allow me to remove your posts...;)

Gotta run!
HP:cool:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
That's just exactly an example of what I'm talking abt! Not all cars are American! And also are you absolutely sure abt all American cars? Are you sure no one put foreign equipment in American car? Are you sure enough to make statements that could give someone false sense of security tampering with dangerous equipment?
And when you and HP are asked about the vehicle in question and where the information is about it, you just say "foreign". There, to me, seems to be missing in your anecdote of your experience.

Shortbus that's not true! You asked questions and when you didn't like answers you just started insisting ur right w/o bringing anything new to the discussion or even paying attention to posts explaining how flyback topology works! Imo you betrayed duplicity by citing sillier and sillier irrelevancies like they were proof of something!
Your explanations of flyback topology may work for the two of you, and the audience you're making this project for. The people on your "payroll" (the ones being paid to do this as proof of concept). But for someone with out the knowledge that you and your targeted people have already it is of no help to those that what to enter the 'clique'.

I was trying to explain earlier before be accused of being "senile" and belligerent of experiments I have done and the results. The one about using an electric motor driven distributor with no distributor cap to drive an HEI coil was to show an motorhead/ gearhead friend that an ignition system doesn't work like he and you two seem to think it does. He was amazed to see that the coils output was not in separate sparks but a steady stream of sparks, that would then be "distributed" to the individual spark plugs by the distributor cap/plug wire towers. Anyone that has ever changed a bad distributor cap and really looked at it can see this.

Just trying to give my own experiences to a conversation of your project I now see was wrong. But also it was my experience, and that was all I was trying to convey. To try and show that there may be other things the two of you haven't thought of to create an EHT supply. One that is capable of giving amps of output not mA's . But it seems like it is only your way of doing things that are relevant in this. To say that EHT can or should only be generated by a LOPT or a similar coil using a ferrite core is just wrong. And I do think you know it. Since there was EHT and Xray power supplies before there was either LOPT's and ferrite core transformers.