EHT power supply design and construction

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
@Aleph(0) I expect you'll advise that the delay is down to the requirement of transferring the load to another vehicle?
HP Wrong! I had Emerson out to replace trans b4 I left cuz no way was I going to eff with your gimbaled lading platform by transferring load or second guess that failure mode couldn't interfere w/ forward ranges in transient!

So anyhow your precious DRTs made the trip safe and sound so u can just chill:cool:!

Wow, i must be lucky and know some very lucky people. I own a 1999 3/4 ton chevy with over 100K on it with no problems. And have a friend with a 2004 3/4 ton that had 400k on his with no problems at all.
Hey @shortbus -- No disparagement intended GM vehicles whatever!:cool:
@shortbus I totally agree with you and HP! In survival situation I'd so take my GMC SUVs over the Humvees or my European _flash_ cars cuz when it matters reliability and user serviceability rule:cool:!

So HP I deleted my post on test thread so field is clear 4u to edit thread:)

So I've got like a 1000 things going at once hereo_O so I'll try to be back on here for longer than a QV this weekend:)!

@Aleph(0) , @Jazz2C , @shortbus

Please be advised that I am currently preparing an 'LOPT disassembly discussion' (i.e. an illustrated statement of the problem accompanied by descriptions of our failed/inadequate solutions - with the aim of soliciting input/improved techniques) -- I apologize for my dilatory progress in this regard!:oops:

@Jazz2C -- For the benefit of participants and interested parties, please try to post the alpha test program's first weekly report to this thread ASAP!:cool:

Many sincere thanks!
HP:)

Last edited:
@Aleph(0) @Jazz2C

I hope to be 'back in touch' by the end of next week (Ca. Oct 20'th) - in the meantime please post the status reports here (i.e. to this thread) - they serve no function whatever languishing in my (email) inbox and I haven't the time to 'ride heard' on them!

Many thanks!
HP

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
HP Sry but I'm getting totally bored with this whole thing now that JC's in a sulk cuz of how he says _letting you down_ and anyhow neither you or I are finding much time for it anymore:(

So anyhow if u want to continue I say two thing are totally necessary:

HP you have to lay down law to JC to grow up and stop acting like Don Quixote:rolleyes:! Cuz I say risking felony assault charges for slugging ingrate 4 calling u names abt broken flyback is totally lame! So I get JC's point that crybaby alpha tester didn't pay for xfmr in first place but it's also true that he was calling u names just to JC not u personally and anyhow JC fighting your battles is just dumb! I mean if anything words should be met with just words not violence that can give him record to follow him for the rest of his life! So anyhow JC's _gallantry_ only accomplished stocking malcontent's bank acct with the money u paid keeping him out of trouble by paying settlement and to keep it in like _civil domain_! So HP if u don't rub JC's face in consequences of his impulsive stupidity I will:mad:! Now I'm going to say something! I really believe he THINKS he's in love with u but I say u are more like a cause for him to champion to give him purpose in life! HP I'm not suggesting it but I say if u did experiment of pretending to return his affection he'd have total meltdown cuz worst nightmare for someone who justifies existence by _striving_ for anything is actually arriving cuz then they have no direction and nothing to do so whatever their REAL problem was catches up with them again:(!

So @Jazz2C You know I totally think on u as a brother and want the best for u! That's why this sort of thing makes me so ragey! Cuz u totally know better!

So second thing is we just have to devise a better way of taking FBs apart cuz so far reviews of tutorial are totally awesome except from ppl with problems breaking ferrite or heat-damaging FB winding! Which so far is only criticism except a few minor complaints abt image loading.

HP I know you're working on like u say 'statement of problem' so @shortbus and anyone else who wants to help will know what we've already tried and like that so that's great but I say u should suspend alpha testing project until solution for disassembly is found cuz even though they don't pay for materials they're paying with time and effort so that's no excuse for name calling but I say an angry frustrated student isn't a receptive one:(!

HP you have to lay down law to JC to grow up and stop acting like Don Quixote:rolleyes:!
So anyhow JC's _gallantry_ only accomplished stocking malcontent's bank acct with the money u paid keeping him out of trouble by paying settlement and to keep it in like _civil domain_! So HP if u don't rub JC's face in consequences of his impulsive stupidity I will:mad:!
--Emphasis Added--

You may rest assured that I've had several heated discussions with the 'gentleman' in question in regards to this issue...:rolleyes:

So second thing is we just have to devise a better way of taking FBs apart
Agreed!:oops:

HP I know you're working on like u say 'statement of problem' so @shortbus and anyone else who wants to help will know what we've already tried
Indeed I am!:) @shortbus, please know that said presentation is my first 'order of business' when 'life' permits my return to these projects - Assertion that success of the current project may well depend upon development/discovery of a more acceptable disassembly method is no exaggeration! -- Again, many thanks for your kind offer of assistance! - Please 'stay tuned':cool:

I say u should suspend alpha testing project until solution for disassembly is found
With the exception of those having (successfully) completed said step that's precisely the current status -- I should think JC would have advised you of same?:confused::rolleyes:

HP Sry but I'm getting totally bored with this whole thing now that JC's in a sulk cuz of how he says _letting you down_ and anyhow neither you or I are finding much time for it anymore:(
When the going gets tough -- the tough stick around!:cool:

So... @Aleph(0) instead of 'pouting' and psychoanalyzing JC -- how's about checking over the error reports;):)

Very best regards
HP

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
HP Sry cuz until JC snaps out of his depressive lovelorn BS there's nothing for me to do! So anyhow ppl are totally enthusiastic abt tutorial except o/c for it being way too easy to break form:(! Also instances of Aprox (_≈_) symbol got changed to equal sign when u copied tutorial post to blog and dedicated thread which can cause huge confusion for some newbies!

HP now I'm saying don't you dare blame me for like u say _stasis_ cuz I have lots of work on here too just to see it ruined cuz YOU chose lovesick emotional baby to be testing coordinator:rolleyes:!

@Jazz2C I'm sry but that's the way it is and anyhow you can totally change it by just pulling yourself together and acting your age:mad:!

So I cced this post to JC's e also so he can be motivated to honor his commitments!

HP Sry cuz until JC snaps out of his depressive lovelorn BS there's nothing for me to do!
Indeed and ditto:rolleyes: But then, as per your suggestion, other options exist...

instances of Aprox (_≈_) symbol got changed to equal sign when u copied tutorial post to blog and dedicated thread which can cause huge confusion for some newbies!
It turns out that "≈" was rendered as "~" whereas "≥" and "≤" were rendered as "="!:eek: -- But only in the blog posts... -- So... I've made the indicated corrections (along with a few minor 'adjustments') and updated the blog and 'proofing thread' posts.

HP now I'm saying don't you dare blame me for like u say _stasis_ cuz I have lots of work on here too just to see it ruined cuz YOU chose lovesick emotional baby to be testing coordinator:rolleyes:!
Please give JC a break -- Seems we all have our problems...

@Jazz2C I'm sry but that's the way it is and anyhow you can totally change it by just pulling yourself together and acting your age:mad:!
@Jazz2C -- What Aleph said!:rolleyes:

Very best regards
HP

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
@Jazz2C So since zenmate/leaseweb is going to just single server for free service starting Nov 19 and requires version of FF that's incompatible with XP, I have to get a win7 computer for social posting (happy now, @Hypatia's Protege :rolleyes:?).

So no biggy except that I'll be stuck with single server location cuz subscribing would totally defeat whole privacy purpose of using a VPN! JC ur going to have same problem so if you stay with free service too our IPs will be same or similar and refer to same location (along with all other Leaseweb users with free account) so just saying be prepared for us to be accused of pulling each other's strings:eek::p!

JC Being totally sincere I'm not really as POed at u as all that and like she's said abt 1,000,000 times HP totally blames herself cuz of going alpha with _faulty_ disassembly instructions. So even though we give you hard time on threads we miss you and we need your help more than ever cuz of outside demands on HP's time:(!

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Like earlier I may have a better way of disassembling the core from the coils. But I need to get some dimensions from the coils being used. The idea I have should keep the core from being broken. It would be easier if your "alpha' would have included some from the forum, but it was your call.

Like earlier I may have a better way of disassembling the core from the coils. But I need to get some dimensions from the coils being used. The idea I have should keep the core from being broken. It would be easier if your "alpha' would have included some from the forum, but it was your call.
Hey @shortbus -- Thanks!:) I promise to post the 'disassembly discussion' (including a detailed description of the device [dimensions, etc...], the problem and everything we've tried) within a fortnight's time...:cool:

It would be easier if your "alpha' would have included some from the forum, but it was your call.
T'was merely that, as per the 'organic' evolution of the program, participants were selected from/limited to @Jazz2C's acquaintances and 'acquaintances of acquaintances' -- No slight to anyone here intended!...

Very best regards
HP

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Hey @shortbus -- Thanks!:) I promise to post the 'disassembly discussion' (including a detailed description of the device [dimensions, etc...], the problem and everything we've tried) within a fortnight's time...:cool:
Things I need.
1. the diameter of the "tire"
2. the length of the core, outside to outside.

To make it more clear I'll do a sketch and post it.

And you do know that cores like this made of differing ferrite materials and sizes are available. This would possibly allow the saving of the project if cores become broken.

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
Things I need.
Shortbus I can give u those dimensions but plz wait for HP's presentation b4 putting in time on this cuz there's lots of whys and wherefors abt construction of winding that aren't totally obvious! So that way u won't risk wasting your time with idea that can't work cuz of like _hidden complications_!

1. the diameter of the "tire"
Shortbus based from fbs I have it's abt 80mm so they can be bigger but not smaller!
2. the length of the core, outside to outside.
Shortbus most of them are abt 90mm to 100mm square but some are taller than wide.
Also minimum core cross section for useful fb is abt 16mm

And you do know that cores like this made of differing ferrite materials and sizes are available. This would possibly allow the saving of the project if cores become broken.
Shortbus If they don't shatter they can be repaired with high temp epoxy too. So it just adds totally negligible few um equivalent gap per repaired fracture:)!
Also it's best not to use smaller cores cuz of quadratic decrease of pwr handling with linearly decreasing cross section:eek:!

So iirc core material for all tv fbs is equivalent to Amidon mix 77:cool: So I say maybe late model freq agile crt monitors used different materials but for old tvs they're all same mix. Anyhow if ur interested it's easy to find out with Z analyzer or just bridge and test windings:)!

Shortbus tnx for offer to help cuz we're totally stuck and HP, JC and I agree that inductively heating core (which totally works) is like putting wagon b4 horse for lessons! Cuz heater circuit is just resonant driver (like zvs) with eht winding shunted to itself. So we want lessons linear which means setting up xfmr comes b4 driver design!

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
As I understand your post nothing will have changed save for the fact that all Leaseweb freeloaders will share the self-same server location
HP I say that's totally uncalled for cuz u know freeloading isn't point:mad:! I say it's bad enough Leaseweb has my public IP (which o/c is totally unavoidable) but giving them my name and cc number just for choice of server location is totally insane cuz no matter how ethical they are hackers broke tougher security than theirs:eek:!

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Shortbus I can give u those dimensions but plz wait for HP's presentation b4 putting in time on this cuz there's lots of whys and wherefors abt construction of winding that aren't totally obvious! So that way u won't risk wasting your time with idea that can't work cuz of like _hidden complications_!
OK, after thinking more about this I made a sketch, with the dimensions that would be most helpful. The dimensions are after the outer metal frame is off.

Attachments

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
I promise to post the 'disassembly discussion' (including a detailed description of the device [dimensions, etc...], the problem and everything we've tried) within a fortnight's time...:cool:
HP I say is critical u show detail of wdgs coaxial 2 hv winding! Cuz it's vry important ppl know it's ok 2 damage turns and insulation of wdgs just adjacent to foramen as long as they don't mess with actual hv wdg or break return lead:eek:! So even though u basically already show that on tutorial, I say for disassembly presentation u should photoshop relevant images 2 emphasize like _boundary_ between coaxial and hv wdg:)

So just 2 remind u all! Cuz of what I was saying on post 1331 I have 2 change dedicated computer and create new vpn acct for access after Saturday! So anyhow cuz of all that there might be delay getting back on here next week so don't panic cuz AAC isn't permanently bereft of The Great Aleph:p

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
THIS IS IMPORTANT FOR EVERYBODY IN ALPHA TEAM AND EVERYONE WORKING WITH FB OR TC OR OUDIN AND ALL OTHER LARGE SIGNAL RF EQUIPMENT!

HP I suggested it b4 so now I'm imploring and insisting that u post on here NOW to warn ppl that _skin effect_ only applies to metallic conduction (cuz of magnetic phenomena) NOT ELECTROLYTIC CONDUCTION! So it DOESN'T prevent deep burns to living tissue at all! HP I know u want to save safety discussions for presentation of corresponding subject matter but JC and I have frequent email from members of alpha team fooling around with ZVS drivers thinking they're totally safe w/o standard hv and power rf safety practice cuz of _skin effect_ :rolleyes::eek:

So we warn them but for message to reach like _saturation_ b4 someone gets hurt requires for YOU who they totally think on as like an _ipsissima_ to tell them! Anyhow they're leery of JC cuz of MH fight and they don't really know anything abt me except that I'm like generational peer who (totally unintentionally) talks to them like they're kids and like dork on here on purpose:oops:.

now I'm imploring and insisting that u post on here NOW to warn ppl that _skin effect_ only applies to metallic conduction (cuz of magnetic phenomena) NOT ELECTROLYTIC CONDUCTION! So it DOESN'T prevent deep burns to living tissue at all!
While your assertion is, of course, quite correct - I'm not by any manner of being certain preemptive correction of misnomers comes under our purview as (would be) 'instructors'?:confused:

YOU who they totally think on as like an _ipsissima_
Hardly that!o_O:rolleyes: But thanks for thoughts;)

and they don't really know anything abt me except that I'm like generational peer who (totally unintentionally) talks to them like they're kids and like dork on here on purpose:oops:.
IMO your 'handicap' in this regard owes to the 'geek-less' presentation of your intellect -- To demonstrate my point you need merely don a pair of 'conservative' spectacles and effect corresponding 'adjustments' to your hairdo, attire and manner - and hey presto! It's instantaneous ascension from 'babe' to 'authority'!:cool: --- If I've said it once I've said it '1E77' times! -- As a rule: Perception of intellect/emotional maturity and 'sex appeal' don't mix! - Especially where said qualities are vested in young women -- Unfair and trifling 'tho human nature may, at times, be -- you may either work with it -or- struggle against it... Nor is any of the foregoing especially 'profound' -- I'm merely advising that you 'dress'/'behave' for the 'occasion', as it were:)

HP I say is critical u show detail of wdgs coaxial 2 hv winding! Cuz it's vry important ppl know it's ok 2 damage turns and insulation of wdgs just adjacent to foramen as long as they don't mess with actual hv wdg or break return lead:eek:! So even though u basically already show that on tutorial, I say for disassembly presentation u should photoshop relevant images 2 emphasize like _boundary_ between coaxial and hv wdg:)
That's precisely the plan!:cool:

HP I say that's totally uncalled for cuz u know freeloading isn't point:mad:! I say it's bad enough Leaseweb has my public IP (which o/c is totally unavoidable) but giving them my name and cc number just for choice of server location is totally insane cuz no matter how ethical they are hackers broke tougher security than theirs:eek:!
To complicate, convolute and generally over-think each and every nuance of a simple matter -- Dial: A-L-E-P-H! --- Get my point?:rolleyes:

don't panic cuz AAC isn't permanently bereft of The Great Aleph:p
When I contemplate the boundless number of radial arteries no-doubt spared by that announcement!...o_O:p

Best regards
HP:)