EHT power supply design and construction

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
While your assertion is, of course, quite correct - I'm not by any manner of being certain preemptive correction of misnomers comes under our purview as (would be) 'instructors'?:confused:
HP I'm not saying to 2'nd guess every possible hazard just common misconceptions and issues ppl bring up!

If I've said it once I've said it '1E77' times!
1E77 ROFLOL! Spoken like a true HP:D!

IMO your 'handicap' in this regard owes to the 'geek-less' presentation of your intellect -- To demonstrate my point you need merely don a pair of 'conservative' spectacles and effect corresponding 'adjustments' to your hairdo, attire and manner - and hey presto! It's instantaneous ascension from 'babe' to 'authority'!:cool: --- If I've said it once I've said it '1E77' times! -- As a rule: Perception of intellect/emotional maturity and 'sex appeal' don't mix! - Especially where said qualities are vested in young women -- Unfair and trifling 'tho human nature may, at times, be -- you may either work with it -or- struggle against it... Nor is any of the foregoing especially 'profound' -- I'm merely advising that you 'dress'/'behave' for the 'occasion', as it were:)
HP So ur saying _boys seldom cut classes taught by girls who wear glasses_:D:p?

HP being serious I say if they only respect nerds and wallflowers and social misfits then I don't want their respect:mad:! I say asking me to abandon casual appearance and manner (which is who I am) is like ppl asking u to abandon formal tone (which is who u are)! So I say they can take me as myself or leave me alone cuz it's their choice! HP Now I'm going to tell u something! My _style_ isn't abt like u say _sex appeal_ It's just who I am! Just like your formality isn't abt being smart it's just who u are! IMO having _sex appeal_ is side effect that's 5% flattering and 95% a hassle! HP I also say since ur an extremely attractive woman who's proud of being a social _hermit_ I say u already know all that! Also since u sure as hell don't dress and act like a nerd I don't see why ur telling me to:rolleyes:?

So anyhow if u don't ask me to _nerd down_ I won't ask u to _dumb down_, ok:cool:?

To complicate, convolute and generally over-think each and every nuance of a simple matter -- Dial: A-L-E-P-H! --- Get my point?:rolleyes:
HP I say that's strange attitude for somebody who thinks on herself as like a _champion of privacy_:rolleyes:

When I contemplate the boundless number of radial arteries no-doubt spared by that announcement!...o_O:p
HP jokes that make reference 2 suicide are automatically NOT funny:rolleyes:!

HP I'm not saying to 2'nd guess every possible hazard just common misconceptions and issues ppl bring up!
I've no problems there!:)

1E77 ROFLOL! Spoken like a true HP:D!
Thought you might appreciate that!;)

So anyhow if u don't ask me to _nerd down_ I won't ask u to _dumb down_, ok:cool:?
Well hey! You read way too much into that! -- I'm not suggesting you 'change your style' merely that you position yourself as an 'authority figure' --as opposed to-- a 'peer' when in the role of an educator...

Also since u sure as hell don't dress and act like a nerd I don't see why ur telling me to :rolleyes:?
No mystery there! - I'm seventeen years older than you - simple as that! I strongly doubt even @Jazz2C regards me as a 'peer'?o_O

HP I say that's strange attitude for somebody who thinks on herself as like a _champion of privacy_:rolleyes:
By the same token I'm bound to say your seeming obsession with VPNs and Proxies represents a 'strange attitude' for one otherwise dismissive of privacy concerns:rolleyes:

HP jokes that make reference 2 suicide are automatically NOT funny:rolleyes:!
Except when you make them?:confused: -- Do you concede or do I dig for posts?;)

Very best regards
HP:)

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
When you've done Strong Arming your Siddeley
:rolleyes:

might I prevail upon you to 'e' the requested files?
HP it's done deal:)!

Hp sry but I say this pic is just NASTY:eek::p!

HP being serious I'm vry happy ur finding time for presentation cuz there's still huge enthusiasm for tutorial! We just need 2 find solution to problem of breaking core!

So @shortbus I'm saying advanced tnx to you too:)!

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
So now you don't want me to post the drawings I have made? I found a way to make my proposal work with any LOPT without knowing the actual sizes before hand. Will now wait for conformation before posting.

Hey, @shortbus ! -- Thanks for your reply!:)

So now you don't want me to post the drawings I have made? I found a way to make my proposal work with any LOPT without knowing the actual sizes before hand.
In the interests of continuity and conservation of your time and effort please allow me to fully explain the difficulties and contingencies prior to offering solutions or otherwise expending significant effort on our behalf...:eek: -- The difficulty is more 'complex' than may be apparent from the (present) tutorial -- as I discovered -to my embarrassment- via failure of the 'Alpha Project':oops:

Will now wait for conformation before posting.
Thank you! I expect to complete the 'discussion' (i.e. post #1345) by mid-week -- at which time I will post an announcement to the effect that we are 110% receptive to suggestions!:)

Best regards and, again, many thanks!

Last edited:
@Aleph(0)

As per your request, below is a partial image of your Amp's 'RF deck'...

Following are my impressions based upon a cursory examination (I apologize that I haven't time for a 'close look' at present)...

1) The geometry of the thermally-damaged choke ({RFC 4} bottom center of image) is not consistent with a 2.5mH inductor (as specified on the parts list)! -- It is, in point of fact, typical of a Ca. 100uH device! Note that such represents a significant disparity in reactance (e.g. ≈220KΩ vs ≈8.8 KΩ at 20 meters --and-- ≈28.3KΩ vs ≈ 1KΩ at 160m! :eek:)

2) At 'first blush', it seems said inductor's function is merely that of a safety feature so as to preclude appearance of plate supply EMF at the RF output 'port' in the event of plate cap failure/flashover -- in which case said component need not and should not have been changed in the course of the 'A7' to 'Z7' modification!

3) Inasmuch as the plate choke ({RFC 3} not pictured) shows no signs of overheating and the amplifier appears to function correctly - there is no reason to suspect 'leaky' plate caps...

4) A schematic of the present circuit would be most helpful!:rolleyes:

OBTW -- Re: your notes -- Please be advised that absence of 'idle current' under 'keyed', no-drive conditions owes to installation of the 'Electronic Bias' option -- (To wit: said operation is both expected and normal:cool:)

Gotta dash!

Best regards

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
So it's the 20'th and VPN is still working on XP but prolly not 4 long:eek:!

1KΩ at 160m! :eek:
So for 1.5kw there's abt 274V across normal 50Ω load. So at 1.8Mhz RF current through RFC is limited to like 270mA by XL of 1K? So I see how that's way more current than if 2.5mH choke was used but I say 1/4 amp can't overheat RFC winding:confused:?

At 'first blush', it seems said inductor's function is merely that of a safety feature so as to preclude appearance of plate supply EMF at the RF output 'port' in the event of plate cap failure/flashover
HP u mean cuz xl=0 to DC so it would just short anode psu and pull fuse?

Please be advised that absence of 'idle current' under 'keyed', no-drive conditions owes to installation of the 'Electronic Bias' option
HP Tnx! So I know _if it works it works_ but plz explain how it can be fast enough to not cause distortion to ssb modulation:confused:?

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
In the interests of continuity and conservation of your time and effort please allow me to fully explain the difficulties and contingencies prior to offering solutions or otherwise expending significant effort on our behalf.
The drawings are already done. The only thing to do now is putting a verbal explanation into a post. So just tell me when to go ahead, or not.

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
Wow! Zenmate extension is still alive in FF 52.5 on XP system:confused:? So I'm like HP's favorite quote by Peter Sellers which is: _I like it but I don't understand it!_:D So anyhow it's good thing cuz I haven't had chance to setup w7 system for VPN yet:oops:!

The drawings are already done. The only thing to do now is putting a verbal explanation into a post. So just tell me when to go ahead, or not.
Tnx Shortbus:)! HP plans to finish presentation of additional info and everything we've tried (which is post 1345) by sometime Thursday night so plz wait to read that first. Then we'll be vry grateful to look on and tryout any ideas u have:)!

@Hypatia's Protege I know ur vry busy but since from your profile I know u found time this morning for posts on quasi-political thread:rolleyes: I'd totally appreciate reply to my questions on post 1353 of this thread next time you have _spare moment_!

@Hypatia's Protege I know ur vry busy but since from your profile I know u found time this morning for posts on quasi-political thread:rolleyes: I'd totally appreciate reply to my questions on post 1353 of this thread next time you have _spare moment_!
Aleph!:rolleyes: With all I've on at the moment timely completion of the 'LOPT Disassembly Discussion' requires some prioritization of my 'free' time! -- This does not include assisting you with your 'broken' Ameritron toys!

but since from your profile I know u found time this morning for posts on quasi-political thread
:rolleyes:
Might I suggest that casual commentary on the off-topic fora and diagnosis/advice Re: potentially hazardous equipment holding (as you claim) sentamental value for you are two entirely different matters! -- I'll be happy to assist you with the 'Linear' following fulfillment of prior promises and obligations! --- But Jeeeez! Ameritron?:confused: -- well I 'relate' to the 'collecting bug', still...o_O:p

Tnx Shortbus:)! HP plans to finish presentation of additional info and everything we've tried (which is post 1345) by sometime Thursday night so plz wait to read that first. Then we'll be vry grateful to look on and tryout any ideas u have:)!
--Emphasis Added--

Correct!:cool:

Best regards

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
This does not include assisting you with your 'broken' Ameritron toys!
HP like u know it's not really broken cuz it makes > 2kW with just 100W excitation but I don't like output shunt choke overheating and also occasional arcing during tune-up on 160 meter band:mad:!

holding (as you claim) sentamental value for you
Jeeeez! Ameritron?:confused: -- well I 'relate' to the 'collecting bug', still...o_O:p
HP u totally know why amplifier is sentimental to me! So plz don't be trying 2 start like _family feud_ on here again:rolleyes:!

I'll be happy to assist you with the 'Linear' following fulfillment of prior promises and obligations!
HP just chill! I said when you find the time:rolleyes:!

it makes > 2kW with just 100W excitation
IMHO those figures represent slightly greater 'high-end' gain than I'd expect:confused: -- If you're using one of your 'contest' transceivers (e.g. your IC-7851 [200W Max RF output PWR], your FTDX9000MP [400w Max output PWR], etc...) as a 'test exciter' you are strongly advised to observe the drive power via a directional coupler/power indicator intervening the transceiver's output and the AL1200's input! -- The transceivers' "on-board" RF output indicators are neither intended nor sufficiently accurate for test purposes!

I don't like output shunt choke overheating and also occasional arcing during tune-up on 160 meter band:mad:!
Which being classic 'symptoms' of an over-driven amplifier!

occasional arcing during tune-up on 160 meter band:mad:!
In the (probable) event that said arcing is, in fact, flash-over of the plate (i.e. 'B+' -to- tank isolation) caps, such would tend to 'explain' the heat-damaged choke -- That said, the choke inductance (Ca. 100uH) is, nonetheless, far too small (as applied) to an HF amplifier...

So for 1.5kw there's abt 274V across normal 50Ω load. So at 1.8Mhz RF current through RFC is limited to like 270mA by XL of 1K? So I see how that's way more current than if 2.5mH choke was used but I say 1/4 amp can't overheat RFC winding:confused:?
First off - my 'exclamatory response' was upshot of contemplating said impedance's likely effect upon tank Q!:eek: --- But to continue; Please recall that electrical conditions during 'tune-up' vary widely from those during 'operation'. Then too, the present (misapplied) coil is merely 'layer-wound' and, hence, prey of parasitic resonances corollary to significant distributed capacitance...

HP u mean cuz xl=0 to DC so it would just short anode psu and pull fuse?
While I hesitate judge that a 'silly question' - the fact remains:rolleyes: -- To wit: (via current vernacular) "well a duh!":p

HP Tnx! So I know _if it works it works_ but plz explain how it can be fast enough to not cause distortion to ssb modulation:confused:?
Aleph!:rolleyes: How many times need I explain that basic point to you?:rolleyes: Please! Do the math!

FWIW here 'tis from 'the horse's mouth' - so to speak...
The EBS-1 Manual said:
The switching time of the EBS-1 series is 20 μS. This is several times faster than the rise time of voice waveforms, especially those restricted in rise time by the narrow bandwidth of a SSB transmitter. Normal rise time of a SSB transmitter is 300 μS. The fast switching time of the EBS-1 series, plus the small bias change from near class B to normal class AB, insures bias switching does not add splatter or distortion to the transmitted signal.
So... Please! 'Crunch the numbers' for yourself and be confident:D

HP u totally know why amplifier is sentimental to me! So plz don't be trying 2 start like _family feud_ on here again:rolleyes:!
And for all that I seem to recall you balking at the trivial cost of the improved triode:p Thus it seems your drollery has come home to roost?;)

HP just chill!
Good deal! And a 'no character work required' one at that!:cool:

With that I'm back to work relevant to (would you believe?) the Tutorial (Spec. the 'LOPT disassembly discussion') - which, BTW, I expect to complete -on schedule- by late tomorrow evening:)

Very best regards
HP

Last edited:

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
my 'exclamatory response' was upshot of contemplating said impedance's likely effect upon tank Q!:eek:
HP why wouldn't it just be basically swamped out by 50Ω nonreactive load:confused:?

If you're using one of your 'contest' transceivers (e.g. your IC-7851 [200W Max RF output PWR], your FTDX9000MP [400w Max output PWR], etc...) as a 'test exciter' you are strongly advised to observe the drive power via a directional coupler/power indicator intervening the transceiver's output and the AL1200's input!
HP that's exactly what I did cuz I had d/c SWR meter set on power mode between IC7851 and AL1200 and just Bird4410 between AL1200 and dummy load. So for 100w cw drive I get just shy of 2200w into dummy load for abt 2 minutes b4 I need to stop b4 heating of load causes SWR of > 1:2 cuz I say that's pressing my luck:eek:!

Aleph!:rolleyes: How many times need I explain that basic point to you?:rolleyes: Please! Do the math!

FWIW here 'tis from 'the horse's mouth' - so to speak...
The EBS-1 Manual said:
The switching time of the EBS-1 series is 20 μS. This is several times faster than the rise time of voice waveforms, especially those restricted in rise time by the narrow bandwidth of a SSB transmitter. Normal rise time of a SSB transmitter is 300 μS. The fast switching time of the EBS-1 series, plus the small bias change from near class B to normal class AB, insures bias switching does not add splatter or distortion to the transmitted signal.
So... Please! 'Crunch the numbers' for yourself and be confident:D
HP that's all well and good but since there's no output with ≤ 5W drive I say it's going 2 mess with SSB modulation big time:confused::rolleyes:!

And for all that I seem to recall you balking at the trivial cost of the improved triode:p Thus it seems your drollery has come home to roost?;)
HP u know I was just like u say _larking around_ on that thread:p

With that I'm back to work relevant to (would you believe?) the Tutorial (Spec. the 'LOPT disassembly discussion') - which, BTW, I expect to complete -on schedule- by late tomorrow evening:)
HP I saw you got a lot more done editing it in blog post so I say good on you:D! But I say u have a lot 2 do 2 be done by tonight since u got roped into entertaining today:confused:

Last edited:
@shortbus

Please be advised that the disassembly discussion is nearly complete! I may finish it by late Friday/early Saturday - it will certainly be completed no later than Sunday/early Monday!

(Discussion @ post #1363 --- 27 Nov 2017)

BTW -- I have taken the liberty of annotating your drawing with the requested dimensions (below):

Many thanks for your continued patience!

Last edited:

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
HP so here are my comments abt presentation in blog:

Make sure 2 tell them 2 back arrow from linked pics cuz just closing pic closes entire tab which is totally too annoying:mad:!

HP in presentation u say too much torque is major cause of breakage during disassembly but I say it's #1 cause of form breakage during total modification process! Also I say too much heat is main cause of winding damage followed by accidentally slashing and stabbing windings cuz of clumsy tool use:rolleyes:

HP I say u can be more specific abt solvent by just saying acetone instead of keytone? Or are you being general to include mek?

HP So I can't think of anything ur forgetting in _useful info_ section but o/c that doesn't totally mean u aren't:oops:
So anyhow I say u need 2 wind it up and just bite the bullet and post it on here by like u said 10am cuz punctuality can be better than being letter perfect since it's more like _internal memo_ than tutorial content anyhow:)!