EHT power supply design and construction

You can get cheap HV probes and remove their multiplier resistor.
Yes indeed! Hence my suggestion in post #676 - To wit:
Via salvage from 'old' HV probes commonly available at 'hamfests' (i.e. electronics-themed 'flea markets'), etc... Ebay may likewise be a good contact --- Should said components prove elusive, the builder may 'string together' the requisite number of lower value HV resistors such that a wide margin is granted the maximum drop per device spec... Information Unlimited is a good source for high EMF components in 'hobbyist-friendly' quantities...
Build a voltage divider and send two wires to some posts to connect your digital meter or scope.
While that indeed describes a single-ended arrangement - the images in question relate to a (prospective) construction article featuring a balanced EHT indicator (applicable to floating EHT sources).

A simplified illustration of which is given below:)

EHTIND.jpg

Many thanks for your interest!
HP:)

Yeah, a nice divider.
One caveat Re: use of DMM input impedance (Spec. resistance) as 'part' of the divider --- Some instruments vary said impedance during 'auto-ranging'!:eek: -- Hence manual range selection prior to application of EHT to the divider is essential -- FWIW my suggestion/implementation of a d'Arsonval unit is merely by way of making the instrument as 'bullet proof' as reasonably possible -- In the 'EHT game' one needs all the breaks they can get!:)

Very best regards

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I understand. That's why I kept the voltage sample pretty low, but if your using a d'Arsonval movement, I'm assuming your placing it in an enclosed environment with a viewing screen.

I can remember a field change to a certain transmitter that someone got shocked when tapping the meter movement with a lead pencil. A plexiglas cover separated the meters from the technicians after that. The meters were reading the diode currents in a 15.5 KV power supply.

I typically put the input Z on the simulation meters to ensure there is little loading. DMMs typically only state one input impedance. Now if you were using a Simpson 260 or other analog meter, yes, the sensitivity changes with voltage scales, and that would have been checked as well.

While safety is the utmost, so is the working knowledge, after all, the ass you save may be your own. EHT can and will reach out an touch you.

Last edited:
I understand. That's why I kept the voltage sample pretty low
Congratulations! You are quite literally the first person I've encountered in possession of that single, sorry, fact!:cool:--- 'Tho I've met a few who "jus' can't understand" why their DMM's 'permanently loose their minds' following use with an HV probe:rolleyes:

d'Arsonval movement, I'm assuming your placing it in an enclosed environment with a viewing screen.
No need!:) -- Therein lies the 'beauty' of the 'balanced' arrangement!:) - Inasmuch as the movement/metallic cabinet is at ground potential (within 1kΩ [worst case ground referenced EMF=100mV] Re: the underground movement terminal) - there's neither corona nor arcing to cause inaccurate operation nor liability to arc-flash injury to ruin one's day:) -- Again, the instrument is intended for measurement of floating (i.e. non-ground referenced) DC supplies:cool:

Now if you were using a Simpson 260 or other analog meter, yes, the sensitivity changes with voltage scales, and that would have been checked as well.
I find that certain ostensibly "10MΩ Zin" auto-ranging DMMs present a DC resistance of Ca. 55MΩ on their 'millivolt ranges' - and, most annoyingly, on all ranges following auto power-down!:mad::rolleyes:

EHT can and will reach out an touch you.
Aye! -- And with a the selfsame 'reliability' as Greed, Gravity, Death and Taxes:eek:

Very best regards

Last edited:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-1000pcs-...tor-TRW-MVX-1-1-2-Tesla-megaohm-/112025922708
TRW was one of the big manufacturers of these....but they're no longer.
Those look rather like 'focus divider' resistors? -- I'll wager there are a few of those "kicking 'round" shops having 'dead stock' in the desirable LOPTs --- Many thanks!:):):)

When I worked in the UCLA plasma lab, we used these guys a lot:
http://www.caddock.com/
Good deal!!!:) -- I'll check that out -- Thanks again!:cool:

Very best regards
HP

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
Please review the list with the aim of suggested 'additions' and/or 'removals'
HP I say eV has to go cuz anyone who doesn't even know that has totally come to the wrong place:rolleyes:! Also PCB expansion for dielectric oil is ok but not for printed circuit board cuz they should know that too!
HP there are also some marginal ones but I say they can stay since you're just linking without digressing on tutorial:)!

So abt additions you didn't include any abbreviations of radiology, radiography or radiometry terms which I say you should cuz that's not pure electronics so some ppl would appreciate that!

HP I say another good idea is to think about expansions for some types of test gear cuz there are multiple names for some instruments that can differ depending on location (Like SA instead of FDO and O'scope instead of TDO and like that) plus all the variations on the _scope_ theme like MDO, MSO, DPO, DSO, ASO, CRO plus variants by sampling algorithm and so on! And it's not just scopes! So think abt it cuz it would totally suck to chase someone away for want of equipment probably sitting right there on their lab table by another name:(!

I'm all set pending your respective input! -- I need to hear from both of you here!
HP I can contact JC but be sure that's what you want cuz if I tell him _his wonderful HP:rolleyes:_ is summoning him he'll drop everything including his grad studies and I know you won't like that! So I don't want the blame!

HP I say eV has to go cuz anyone who doesn't even know that has totally come to the wrong place:rolleyes:!
Alright - Here's the plan - 'disputed' expansions will be 'un-linked' but left on the list for general reference - FWIW, as a courtesy to 'intermediate' electronics students/enthusiasts I'm considering inclusion of certain basic (albeit, perhaps, less familiar) quantities/parameters (on the list only) -- Thoughts/suggestions?

Also PCB expansion for dielectric oil is ok but not for printed circuit board
While I concur with your assertion that 'PCB'→'Printed Circuit Board' requires no citation -- It is, nonetheless, my (well) considered stance that preclusion of ambiguity requires that expansions are accompanied by citations of any coincident 'full-forms' having relevance to electronics, physics or mathematics.

So abt additions you didn't include any abbreviations of radiology, radiography or radiometry terms which I say you should cuz that's not pure electronics so some ppl would appreciate that!
Here's the deal - I'll add them to the list as soon as convenient but link them if and when we decide to compose an 'amateur radiography' edition -- said decision to be the subject of another discussion/thread:)

HP I can contact JC but be sure that's what you want cuz if I tell him _his wonderful HP:rolleyes:_ is summoning him he'll drop everything including his grad studies and I know you won't like that! So I don't want the blame!
Fair enough!:rolleyes: I'll contact him -- Though I daresay attempted flattery of _his sainted HP_ is merely by way of rationalizing further squandering of his time on his 'true love' which being online gaming! -- Hey @Jazz2C ? At the rate you're going you have a brilliant future to look forward to! - Heck! With a little application you might even make highest ranking Dota2 player at your homeless shelter!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Best regards and many thanks

Last edited:
I must say the repartee between Aleph and HP is always immensely entertaining. How y'all can maintain a straight face is beyond me. :)
Indeed!:oops: It would seem the 'manufacture' of electronics tutorials and sausage share some common ground:rolleyes:-- Please rest assured - we are getting there!:):):)

Best regards

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
HP I say eV has to go cuz anyone who doesn't even know that has totally come to the wrong place:rolleyes:! Also PCB expansion for dielectric oil is ok but not for printed circuit board cuz they should know that too!
HP there are also some marginal ones but I say they can stay since you're just linking without digressing on tutorial:)!

HP I say another good idea is to think about expansions for some types of test gear cuz there are multiple names for some instruments that can differ depending on location (Like SA instead of FDO and O'scope instead of TDO and like that) plus all the variations on the _scope_ theme like MDO, MSO, DPO, DSO, ASO, CRO plus variants by sampling algorithm and so on! And it's not just scopes! So think abt it cuz it would totally suck to chase someone away for want of equipment probably sitting right there on their lab table by another name:(!

As far as DSOs are concerned, feel free to liberally quote from my book:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EXBUPS8/ref=cm_sw_su_dp#nav-subnav

Just be sure to send me cash at regular intervals. :)

As far as DSOs are concerned, feel free to liberally quote from my book:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EXBUPS8/ref=cm_sw_su_dp#nav-subnav

Just be sure to send me cash at regular intervals. :)

181 pages! -- I salute you sir!:):):)

We've a scant 17 pages (and, speaking for myself, one foot in a 'rubber room':eek:) to show for over a year's effort on a rather fundamental topic:oops: --- Hence I can well appreciate the significance of your accomplishment and the monumental effort back of it!:cool: -- Having composed several 'scholarly articles' in the course of my professional life -- My work here (on the tutorial) presented me with a 'rude epiphany' to wit: nothing is as challenging as instruction (Spec. conveying information to a broad audience) - Again KUDOS!:)

With utmost sincerity
HP:cool:

Last edited:

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
181 pages! -- I salute you sir!:):):)

We've a scant 17 pages (and, speaking for myself, one foot in a 'rubber room':eek:) to show for over a year's effort on a rather fundamental topic:oops: --- Hence I can well appreciate the significance of your accomplishment and the monumental effort back of it!:cool: -- Having composed several 'scholarly articles' in the course of my professional life -- My work here (on the tutorial) presented me with a 'rude epiphany' to wit: nothing is as challenging as instruction (Spec. conveying information to a broad audience) - Again KUDOS!:)

With utmost sincerity
HP:cool:
Why thank you. I have to admit that it was a whole lot of fun to put together, and nowhere near as tedious as you might imagine. I already had all the material I needed; I just needed to put it in some kind of sane order. :)

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
HP good work:)! Now is done except bill of materials and warning abt fluoropolymer breakdown products, right?

HP I say glossary, instrument addendum and expansions should each be separate blog entries cuz they're easier to link that way? Now I'm saying not being able to link to within posts is a pita cuz readers have to look on whole thing to find what they want:( But good sorting order can help! HP are you totally sure there's no way of finer linking than just to posts?