EHT power supply design and construction

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
Agreed! RT is a lame practical joker
HP I say dismissing his telling everyone you committed suicide as just a _practical joke_ is trivializing! It was a cruel nasty mean spirited thing to do and he kept it up for days until you were back to contradict him! And then instead of apologizing he mocked the ppl his lies had distressed:mad:! HP If you secretly think it was funny I say just ask yourself how you'd feel if he told you someone you cared abt had died and kept to his story in full view of the distress and despair he was causing! HP I didn't find it the least bit funny even though I knew better from the get go!

if you're willing to take it on yourself
If that's the only way to immediately replace him I guess I'll have to until I can recruit a permanent replacement:rolleyes: How do you feel abt Theodora or Mickey cuz I think either of them would do it later this fall based on their remarks on Community?

you seem to have matters in hand, so what's the problem
HP that's a stupid question:rolleyes:! For one thing prevention makes more sense than damage control! Also my role there is just WebDev not babysitter to the chief babysitter:mad:!

SO... If all goes as expected my next post to this site will be by way of announcing completion of the [pen]ultimate draft (i.e. the final draft pending proofing):):):)
HP Ok I'll watch tutorial post for edits:) Btw as far as I'm concerned you can make balanced eht voltmeter construction article separate _micro tutorial_ that way current tutorial gets FINALLY done:)!

PS HP I know how busy you are but please take just a moment to give thumbs up or down on Theodora or Mickey cuz the sooner I ask them the better. I've been doing Ryan's duties since I suspended him anyhow so I'll just keep on like that for now:rolleyes:

How do you feel abt Theodora or Mickey
PS HP I know how busy you are but please take just a moment to give thumbs up or down on Theodora or Mickey cuz the sooner I ask them the better.
ATTN: @Aleph(0) -- Following viewing of your post (Spec the above quoted text) last evening - I was finally able to get in touch with Theo - with, I'm pleased to say, good results:) -- To wit: she'll be happy to 'relieve' you following her return from 'Old Blighty' (early November) - In the meantime try not to let the 'trolls', 'haters', 'potty-mouths' and just every sort of 'cyber riff-raff' drive you to distraction;) - Well I can imagine how unruly that handful of stuffy intellectuals can get!:p

Btw as far as I'm concerned you can make balanced eht voltmeter construction article separate _micro tutorial_ that way current tutorial gets FINALLY done:)!
Agreed and in the works!:)

Can't wait for that one to start. Another 33+pages of personal posts hiding in plain site on AAC.:rolleyes:o_O:oops::eek:
Aye!:oops: Between Aleph's 'living of the Facebook experience':rolleyes: and my own halting editorial pace it seems we tend to lose our way from time to time:oops: -- But don't despair!:) I intend to compose the EHTVM construction reference immediately following completion of the present tutorial (hence leaving scant opportunity for OT digression):cool: -- In point of fact I've already got a start on imaging for said installment:)

Very best regards
HP:)

Last edited:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Aye!:oops: Between Aleph's 'living of the Facebook experience':rolleyes: and my own halting editorial pace it seems we tend to lose our way from time to time:oops: -- But don't despair!:) I intend to compose the EHTVM construction reference immediately following completion of the present tutorial (hence leaving scant opportunity for OT digression):cool: -- In point of fact I've already got a start on imaging for said installment:)
Oh, it doesn't really bother me (the personal stuff) it's just hard to follow when you don't know the players.:) I would think with all the other stuff you guys(girls?) play around with you would have cell phones too, for the personals.

Conspiracy theory!!!! Maybe your in an "sleeper cell" and have a code your using to have conversations here?:confused::cool::p:eek::oops:

I would think with all the other stuff you guys(girls?) play around with you would have cell phones too, for the personals.
Wouldn't ya think!:confused: (actually there's plenty of that too -- even so - 'airing' of any amount of personal 'OT' on public fora strikes me as all of bizarre, discourteous and, at certain junctures, ill advised:rolleyes:) --I think I'll never understand the rising generations' outright rejection of privacy!:confused: -- Though, on the subject of conspiracy theory, I expect it plays quite nicely into the hands of 'the powers that be':eek:;)

For my part, it seems expedient to 'meet them (i.e. Aleph & JC) halfway' -- hence my leniency with OT discussion on this development thread (within reason:rolleyes:) - under the condition that said thread resides on the OT forum!:):D

Very best regards

Last edited:

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
Well I can imagine how unruly that handful of stuffy intellectuals can get!:p
Lucky you! I don't have to imagine it:rolleyes:!
I was finally able to get in touch with Theo
HP careful! You know she hates that nick! So try not to pi$$ her off now that she's agreed to take the reins:eek:!
Anyhow I've been in touch with her and she says she's actually looking forward to ito_O:confused:! I don't get it but cuz it's good news I don't have to:D! So TNX!
Conspiracy theory!!!! Maybe your in an "sleeper cell" and have a code your using to have conversations here?:confused::cool::p:eek::oops:
Shortbus if that were it we'd be less conspicuous of we did it while staying on topic;)
I think I'll never understand the rising generations' outright rejection of privacy!:confused:
HP I say it's all a matter of degree! If you think on it your generation's conventions are different from those of older generations too:cool:!

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
Hi all!

HP wants you to know she counted on being able to work on tutorial while she is away but the hotel's network security prevents her from submitting forms which means she can't even log in:(! So we can't have it completely done this month like we hoped but HP will be back b4 the weekend and will, in her words _get straight down to it_ (control yourself @Jazz2C ;):p!) Tnx:)!

Jazz2C

Joined May 27, 2016
HP I say dismissing his telling everyone you committed suicide as just a _practical joke_ is trivializing! It was a cruel nasty mean spirited thing to do and he kept it up for days until you were back to contradict him!
Absolutely! @Hypatia's Protege if Aleph hadn't been available to clue me in to the fact that it was just Ryan's perverse so-called sense of humor my life would have ended that day! That's not drama it's fact! So if that makes me a loser in your eyes I'm sorry but I'd rather be despised for a truth than respected for a lie!:(

o we can't have it completely done this month like we hoped but HP will be back b4 the weekend and will, in her words _get straight down to it_ (control yourself @Jazz2C ;):p!) Tnx:)!
@Aleph(0) I'll thank you to stop disparaging and vulgarizing something very sacred and solemn! You are incapable of understanding my feelings and pain b/c your one and only is never further from you than the nearest mirror!:mad: Enough of this!

Jazz2C

Joined May 27, 2016
@Hypatia's Protege

So I bought a cheap Wimshurst machine but I couldn't get it to work no matter what I tried! So I bought a few better quality machines and still no luck with any of them:( I remember that you had a fool proof trick for spinning them up?

So, anyway to save time here's what I've tried:
Cleaned and dried the acrillic platters with distilled water (isopropanol is contraindicated on acrillic b/c it results in cracking which is what acrillic does best anyway:rolleyes:)
Verified that the brushes and combs are correctly positioned and in good condition.
Checked the capacitors and conductor bars for shorts.
Made sure the machine was out of sunlight and other ionizing radiation
Tried it down to 40% relative humidity.

So the problem is that no matter how fast or long I crank it no HV is produced even when the spheres are separated by < 1mm:( So now I'm left with $600 worth of useless toys and a defeatist attitude:rolleyes:

HP plz! I'm not asking you to hold my hand or solve my problems for me! I only need to be set in the right direction!:)

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
Absolutely! @Hypatia's Protege if Aleph hadn't been available to clue me in to the fact that it was just Ryan's perverse so-called sense of humor my life would have ended that day! That's not drama it's fact!
I'll thank you to stop disparaging and vulgarizing something very sacred and solemn!
JC If all else fails maybe the French Foreign Legion could use you:p!

You are incapable of understanding my feelings and pain b/c your one and only is never further from you than the nearest mirror!
JC I can't even get angry at you for that cuz you're right abt my vanity and I'm not proud of it at all:oops:! But you know I'm not narcissistic, and I'm not materialistic in any other way!
But let's be serious! You say you love HP so much you'd commit suicide if she died and I believe that you would:(! But since that's the last thing HP would want it's not an act of love just selfishness! PPL like to make definition of love so complicated but I say it's just a word for caring more abt someone else than yourself! All that sacred and solemn stuff sounds like a high sounding Tom Brown sort of schoolboy pledge to me! So just think about it cuz I say you're confusing gratitude with love! Anyhow HP's intervention in your life for all eight years has been like a parental relationship so what does that make you if your fondest dreams were realized:eek::rolleyes:! JC I really know you're not a perv or like that but I say you've lost perspective and the more you say abt it the more embarrassing it will be for you when you snap out of it:(!

@Hypatia's Protege

So I bought a cheap Wimshurst machine but I couldn't get it to work no matter what I tried! So I bought a few better quality machines and still no luck with any of them:( I remember that you had a fool proof trick for spinning them up?

Cleaned and dried the acrillic platters with distilled water (isopropanol is contraindicated on acrillic b/c it results in cracking which is what acrillic does best anyway:rolleyes:)
Verified that the brushes and combs are correctly positioned and in good condition.

So the problem is that no matter how fast or long I crank it no HV is produced even when the spheres are separated by < 1mm:( So now I'm left with $600 worth of useless toys and a defeatist attitude:rolleyes:

HP plz! I'm not asking you to hold my hand or solve my problems for me! I only need to be set in the right direction!:)
JC the short answer is to have AM standard broadcast receiver near wheels so you can tell when charge is building from increasing interference noise intensity. But like HP says you can also tell by torque pattern when cranking so I'll let her explain it her way cuz she insists on making big philosophical deal of _attentiveness to tacit feedback_ and how it's essential life skill and like that:rolleyes:

Last edited:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009

Having built a couple of Wimshurst machines, I see from your list of things you've done, there's no mention of the directions the discs are turning. You do have them turning in opposite directions, don't you? Meaning when one is turning clockwise the other is turning counter clockwise. Sorry if this sounds condescending.

Another thought. You mentioned capacitors, did you mean Leyden jars? In my limited experience I've never seen one using true capacitors, due to the high voltages present.

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
Having built a couple of Wimshurst machines, I see from your list of things you've done, there's no mention of the directions the discs are turning. You do have them turning in opposite directions, don't you? Meaning when one is turning clockwise the other is turning counter clockwise. Sorry if this sounds condescending.

Another thought. You mentioned capacitors, did you mean Leyden jars? In my limited experience I've never seen one using true capacitors, due to the high voltages present.
Tnx Shortbus I'll let JC know you responded here:cool:!

One more thing too, @JC sometimes you have to start very SLOW! I mean like 0.5 Rads/second so the sectors are just crawling under neutralizer brushes! So if you're using AM radio cheat you'll know charge is building when it sounds like a very happy GM counter:)! Then the faster you crank it the more frequently the Caps (Leyden Jars) will reach breakdown potential of gap (so that's practically saying current increases with av) but if you crank it up b4 its ready it will just get like all turned off and frigid then it'll need a _Wimshurst Westheimer treatment_ to put it right;):D
BTW if you get rushing sound on radio but still no sparks charge might be leaking away through corona so try it in a darkened room and if you see corona dress area to prevent concentration of field:)!

Last edited:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
BTW if you get rushing sound on radio but still no sparks charge might be leaking away through corona so try it in a darkened room and if you see corona dress area to prevent concentration of field
That's what happens with the ones I made ,if you crank too fast. Mine will jump a spark ~2" during the winter months when humidity is low. They have 12"dia. polycarbonate(Lexan) discs.

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
That's what happens with the ones I made ,if you crank too fast. Mine will jump a spark ~2" during the winter months when humidity is low. They have 12"dia. polycarbonate(Lexan) discs.
Shortbus tnx for posting that:)! HP and I have been trying to cure JC of the _acrylic habit_ for a long time so now maybe he'll believe polycarbonate is just plain better electrical construction material:cool:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Shortbus tnx for posting that:)! HP and I have been trying to cure JC of the _acrylic habit_ for a long time so now maybe he'll believe polycarbonate is just plain better electrical construction material:cool:
The acrylic will work, I just had access to the Lexan at the time.:)

Hi all! I've returned and will respond to your posts ASAP -- Thence it's on to the tutorial! -- Please be patient! I'm down to one typing hand for a few days (following a 'fight' with a 'vintage' motorized 'wringer press' during an antique show:oops:) -- No need to light a candle for me @Jazz2C - I'll be good as new (well, good as new+4 decades) in a week's time:) -- In the meantime I can and will forge ahead:D

Very best regards

Be glad it was just a hand.:) Hadn't thought of that old phrase in a long time. http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d...r-washing-machine-squished-boob/#.V9AqfK1VX-Y
:eek:! Said devices, loaded as they are, to Ca. 500 lbs (≈ 230 kg) - that's gotta hurt!o_O:eek:

In my case 'twas as the dark side of karma - As a matter of courtesy, I (voluntarily) donned 'silk' gloves prior to examination/handling of merchandise - My consideration being 'rewarded' by a rather sore hand (inasmuch as one such glove served as a 'feed leader'):( -- Perhaps a variant of the standard monition implicit to such exhibitions is in order -- To wit: "[if] It breaks you - you bought it!":D:rolleyes::oops:

Best regards
HP