ebay USB Oscilloscope

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
I thought it was $16.99 probes.

megahertz smegahurts. I use fancy probes on low freq signals all the time.

AND the circuit never complained - even once. ;)

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I thought it was $16.99 probes.

megahertz smegahurts. I use fancy probes on low freq signals all the time.

AND the circuit never complained - even once. ;)
But I was thinking a couple of wires might do as well. :)

And he is almost paying as much for the probes as the scope! :)

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
Guess I'm the oddball here, I got a perfectly good Tektronix 2465 for $169.50 from http://www.techrecovery.com earlier this year when they were having a sale on them. It's really only calibrated for accuracy at 300 MHz but will easily display well above 500 MHz. Last and probably the best true analog portable scope they ever made. If you can ever find one for a decent price it will probably need to be the last scope you ever buy unless you need to get into microwave or advanced digital logic measurements.

Last edited:

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010

They are called BNC connectors and I think even radio hack sells them.

Until you get a probe to use, a piece of wire will work just fine if well under 1 MHz. Just strip it back a little and lay it straight on the end, then 'poke it in the hole'. :) should come natural to you.

Merry Christmas

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
In the pic of your link it looks like it comes with the BNC connectors, and plastic tips for probes; minus the wire.
Radio Shack or any good parts store should be able to help you put together red and black wire, aligator clips and or probes. Not fancy, but you should be able to see some waves.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
They sell one for $80 with FREE shipping!

Otherwise, it is 49.99 for the scope, + 29.99 shipping, so you can save two cents. :D
Just a gimmick to make it look like it is cheaper. What I hate is sometimes they apply it to each item. For example I found 40 pin sips for a dollar a piece. Not too bad. Shipping was $2.00 still not too bad if you ordered a number of items but the charge was on each item!

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
I used to occasionally nab bargains on eBay, best way I did it was to look at the newest listings and the ones that were about to expire that nobody had started a bidding war on yet.

When you learn eBay and don't totally rely on their clock some bargains can be found but I've also ended up with some stuff I haven't a clue what to do with. It's so easy to press that buy button especially before you get over what they call "eBay addiction" so always try to think "outside of the box" before you commit to anything.

A few things however I've bought and immediately resold. A properly written listing along with detailed pictures is a must f you're a seller.

Best deal I ever got was something like a 1KW variac brand new in box for about $50 + simple honest shipping, best sale I ever made was on an extremely unique Klystron tube that went to the University of Hawaii. Only had one bidder on that, went for $100 and I had to pack the heck out of it but the professor was kind enough (although it hurt) to find out he had placed a $1,000 bid on it in case anyone else came along. At least it went to an educational purpose. SAS60B if anyone wants to look it up but I doubt you'll find much if any data on it.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
I wouldn't know, but if that's a good of a deal as you say congrats!

One thing to watch out for buying ICs from eBay is there are counterfeits running around, same thing with caps - especially electrolytics. They may work as intended or they may not, perhaps at first but not after a period of time.

Shockmyselfsmart

Joined Dec 17, 2010

They are called BNC connectors and I think even radio hack sells them.

Until you get a probe to use, a piece of wire will work just fine if well under 1 MHz. Just strip it back a little and lay it straight on the end, then 'poke it in the hole'. :) should come natural to you.

Merry Christmas
In the pic of your link it looks like it comes with the BNC connectors, and plastic tips for probes; minus the wire.
Radio Shack or any good parts store should be able to help you put together red and black wire, aligator clips and or probes. Not fancy, but you should be able to see some waves.
Thanks This is kind of what I was thinking.