Easiest way to do this? USB to control three relays.

RyanD

Joined Jan 14, 2010
I have these lights that are controlled by some buttons using some relays. I want to remove the buttons and instead control it via my computer. What's the best way(circuit/ic) to convert my usb data into something that I can use to control the lights?

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
easiest way to do it is to get a FT232BM USB to serial converter IC. You do not need a uc or an "Arduino"...... If all you are doing is toggling an output on or off, use some of the RS232 control pins for controlling the outputs.....

russ_hensel

Joined Jan 11, 2009
easiest way to do it is to get a FT232BM USB to serial converter IC. You do not need a uc or an "Arduino"...... If all you are doing is toggling an output on or off, use some of the RS232 control pins for controlling the outputs.....
Some of the converters come in cell phone cables which can be had for just a couple of bucks. They have been used to connect usb ports to serial arduinos: http://www.uchobby.com/index.php/2009/10/04/diy-usb-to-serial-cable-for-3/ BMorse and I hae differed befor on how much smarts to have on the end of the cable, I like more, he is willing to make do with less.

Taking his approach you may not need anything if you already have a rs232 port.