Dye Sensitized Solar Panel

Elijah Lingbanan

Joined Jul 28, 2015
Hi, i am making a solar panel for now (DIY) by the use of organic material instead of silicon. How can i increase the panel's current? each cell gives a current ranging in micro-amperes. How to increase the current aside from putting the cells in parllel. Thanks for reading :)

Roderick Young

Joined Feb 22, 2015
There is continuing work on organic solar cells. I don't actually understand the underlying technology, but it's not semiconductor. They speak of donor and acceptor materials - it's not N- and P-type. Stanford was doing some interesting work, I believe. Look for papers on organic solar cells. Now I could be wrong, but I believe they were getting 10% or so efficiency 3 years ago. The trouble was, the cells quickly degraded in sunlight. Before everyone laughs, a reminder that organic LEDs gave off a dim, barely visible glow in the lab that lasted just minutes, and a couple years later, OLED was shipping in commercial displays.

Elijah Lingbanan

Joined Jul 28, 2015
There is continuing work on organic solar cells. I don't actually understand the underlying technology, but it's not semiconductor. They speak of donor and acceptor materials - it's not N- and P-type. Stanford was doing some interesting work, I believe. Look for papers on organic solar cells. Now I could be wrong, but I believe they were getting 10% or so efficiency 3 years ago. The trouble was, the cells quickly degraded in sunlight. Before everyone laughs, a reminder that organic LEDs gave off a dim, barely visible glow in the lab that lasted just minutes, and a couple years later, OLED was shipping in commercial displays.
Hi, I am using dyes for my cells. I am actually doing a dye sensitized solar cell by not using a conductive glass. The conductive layer is aluminum and I want the current to increase. Can you give me some IC to use to make the current increase from micro to milli-amps?

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Don't trying to think that the ic won't give you more current, if the the voltages is enough then you need some more panel cells in parallel to increasing the current.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
How to increase the current aside from putting the cells in parllel. Thanks for reading :)
Well... I suppose, all else being equal, you could increase the EMR flux incident upon the cells (as, for instance, via concentration by a large fresnel lens or parabolic mirror) -- of course this assumes the described shortfall is not down to cell 'saturation'... --- If you try this please mind you don't overheat the cells!:eek:

Best regards
HP

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hi, I am using dyes for my cells. I am actually doing a dye sensitized solar cell by not using a conductive glass. The conductive layer is aluminum and I want the current to increase. Can you give me some IC to use to make the current increase from micro to milli-amps?
The question is power and photonics yield.

How much area does your solar panel cover?
What is the angle of the panel relative to the incoming solar flux?
How much current x voltage does your panel generate?

The other aspect is, what is the internal resistance of your panel material. If it is a low conductivity dye, then that also impedes the current flow.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
An IC requires a power source to increase the current, which defeats the purpose of the solar cell (which I assume is to generate power).