Driving around [GPS usability issues]

Jon Camilleri

Joined Jan 13, 2018
I have a GPS device (bought off an online store) which I was hoping could help me through my trip however, I noticed that the GPS signal is lost when I am within my residence (longitude/latitude missing), I thought weird, this won't help me find my way anywhere on this lonely planet (island).

The device is unbranded and it is unclear who has the legal responsibility to support this device and I cannot find it in my purchase history either, so where do I find it, I ask myself and providers who appear to have no specific reply to my question notwithstanding legal provisions (GDPR).

I think traveling for a disabled person might be a challenge if the car is not adapted for inclusion this is a message that needs to be sent out to car manufacturers as they design the cars for the production line.

I am starting to become forgetful, nobody helps me, I am depressed this makes my mind conditioned with negative emotions and I am unable to concentrate fully as well, I fear being discriminated and stigmatized, whereas negativity might be innate.

I was also trying to make sense out of my car onboard computer, but I did not quite create an API as yet, although I hope to now and in the future.

Legal references
1. https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/index_en.htm
2. http://www.un.org/
3. https://www.w3.org/WAI/intro/people-use-web/

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Welcome to AAC!
Loss of the GPS signals inside buildings or tunnels is quite normal. The signals are very weak, having travelled around 36 thousand km from the satellites, so almost any solid material in your house structure will weaken them to a point where they are undetectable by the GPS receiver.

Last edited:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Correct, my brand new car loses its GPS signal (and Sirius satellite radio) as soon as I pull into my garage. I’ve noticed the GPS also loses accuracy when I'm downtown amid tall building.

I’m saying it’s quite normal.

Jon Camilleri

Joined Jan 13, 2018
Welcome to AAC!
Loss of the GPS signals inside buildings or tunnels is quite normal. The signals are very weak, having travelled around 36 thousand km from the satellites, so almost any solid material in your house structure will weaken them to a point where they are undetectable by the GPS receiver.
Are there no repeaters that can be installed by those who take care of the infrastructure?

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
GPS works on time. The more indirect the path to the receiver, the less accurate the positioning will be. My drone has an extremely sensitive gps receiver that does receive the signal inside my house, but the location gets very inaccurate, off by probably 50 feet or more, probably because it is receiving reflections of the signal which means the signals took a longer path to reach the receiver, and that difference in time is enough to affect the accuracy. This is also why gps losses accuracy between tall buildings or under a bridge, etc..