Drinking (tap) water at the place you live

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
For about 12 years ago, I was in Austin Texas at a hotel in the middle of the city. At that time I found the tap water not very good. I am sure it was clean. But the taste and the fact that is was quite hot coming out of the tap. I found it not drinkable directly from the tap.
Oh, for a moment I believed it was you who discovered this :eek: :eek:

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Speaking of sand...true story.

There was a carpenter crew that was on their lunch break. One of the carpenters had his 10 year old son on the job site (no OSHA.) The dad had a Mrs. Sullivan's pecan pie (Google it if you're not from around here,) but the son wanted it, so the dad gave in. The son nibbled the crust from around the edges, and then threw the rest (the best part) in a pile of sand. The dad fished it out and ate it, sand and all. I never heard such crunching. :)

I just looked at the Mrs. Sullivan's web site. Apparently, some of the employees are in a rock-a-billy band. If you like the genre, it's worth a listen.

http://www.mrssullivans.com/

Last edited:

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
The tap water here in Iceland is pretty much the same stuff as you can buy in stores so it's a little bit funky seeing tourists buy bottled water for about $2. But not so long ago were few towns that had undrinkable water but afaik that has been fixed.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
I live in the desert, so all our water comes from wells. It is so hard even I can almost walk on it. We get Colorado river water to supplement the aquifer. They just put it into huge ponds and let it soak into the ground. I think that's because the pipes would fall apart if they were rinsed out with fresh water. We have a humidifier because it is also pretty dry, except for the monsoons. About every 3 months I have to chip the calcium (I guess) off of the heating element or it shuts off. I discovered I could spray the element with PAM and the stuff would pop right off. Needless to say we have a filter for the drinking water.
Temperature is another funny. My neighbor bought one of those gadgets you put on your bathroom sink that circulated the hot water so the water in the sink and shower are always warm. He thought it was broken, but the problem really was that the water from the tap was about 87F and the pump was set to 85. One resistor fix.
Used to live in Colorado and the water was great.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I lived in Tucson for 12 years. Wonder place! Just went for a visit about a month ago.

Do you watch "No Man's Land?" I almost moved to Arivaca.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
I just watched a little bit. Pretty interesting. I visit a saw mill in Tumacacori once in a while, but I've never been to Arvaca. Kind of isolated?

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
population 909 .... wow .... You can talk to 3 different people every day in a 30 day month without repeating anyone in the sequence. :D

I've seen cities in the panhandle of Oklahoma where the population was 100 and one about 50.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I visited Toya, Texas during my trip to Tucson. Pop around 50, down from 100 a few years ago.

I typically don't talk to 3 people in a week.

GM11

Joined Sep 8, 2013
The house I have in Scotland has its own bore hole and well, the water is great all the time from the bore hole but can be a bit off colour from the well after heavy rain. We dont have any filtration on our water systems in our house, but I do have the water checked every 3 months. I wouldnt want mains water again! it tastes very different to the water we now enjoy.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I'm repeating myself, but my family has a farm in Kentucky and the spring dried up, so they drilled a well. One of the neighbors liked to dump dead cows in any sinkhole available and the bacteria got in our well. I had to take antibiotics to stop the disease!

The moral of the story is, the local time constant can be very short for pollutants getting into the aquifer. Monitor your well. The world is not as safe as it used to be.

GM11

Joined Sep 8, 2013
The well we use for the garden and the animals, the bore hole we use for the house. I dont know the technical side of it but it's apparently a sleeved borehole and very deep.
So far all the test have come back top notch, we are also on top of a hill so if anything we could be a potential risk to our neighbors, except they chose to go on the main water supply.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
So far all the test have come back top notch, we are also on top of a hill so if anything we could be a potential risk to our neighbors, except they chose to go on the main water supply.
You haven't seen a little boy and girl walking up your hill with a pail have you?:D:p