Five people died of drinking energy drinks the past three years

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
I am drinking Monster Energy drink as I reading this...this is scary! Not good new at all...will read the article to really know the cause of it!

SPQR

Joined Nov 4, 2011
HERE's a nice db of caffeine content of energy drinks.

The "Monster series" varies from 10 to 80 mg/oz - total caffeine 135-240 mg.
Coffee varies from 0.3 to 18.1 mg/oz - total caffeine 6-145 mg.
Espresso is 51.3 mg/oz or a total of 77 mg.

I'll stick with a double espresso!:D

BSomer

Joined Dec 28, 2011
I had an instructor in college say that it wasn't just the caffeine that was bad for you. There are supposedly other ingredients used to make those energy drinks that can also be harmful if consumed in large quantities. This is something that I am a little sceptic of since these drinks are regulated by the FDA. I never researched it though as I do not drink energy drinks. My caffeine intake is from the occasional soda or iced tea, though I do try to stay away from it.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
The article stopped short of actually stating the the energy drinks caused the deaths. Even if they did, we are talking 5 in 3 years. I'm pretty sure more people have died choking on gum balls in that time.

I don't drink them because I don't like like how they make me feel, but I'm not going to petition for them to be banned.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
The article stopped short of actually stating the the energy drinks caused the deaths. Even if they did, we are talking 5 in 3 years. I'm pretty sure more people have died choking on gum balls in that time.

I don't drink them because I don't like like how they make me feel, but I'm not going to petition for them to be banned.
Thats about 100,000 less the tylenol.