DPDT Woes

JR Ivey

Joined Nov 18, 2019
Hello everyone, I am new to the site and I'm not in any way an Electrician of any kind. I do a lot of electrical projects that are simple and straightforward to advance my hobbies. The project I am currently on will seem quite elementary to you Members, but I need help.

Ok, so here it goes: I want to attach a motor from a Milwaukee Mag Drill to the quick change tool post on my lathe to allow me to drill perpendicular holes in rotating stock. I thought it was going to be simple, even for me. The mechanical attachment and adjustments were, but when I started research on the motor, I discovered it was a reversible motor and I am unsure how to wire it. Since it is a reversible motor, I have to include a DPDT switch. I understand how they work, but again, I don't know how to wire the motor to 110v household current. I've searched online, including Milwaukee's Support forum. I've not been able to figure out how to complete the circuits between the household plug, the DPDT Switch and the wiring of the motor.

Please help......
…...JR
Mag Drill Motor.jpg

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Hello everyone, I am new to the site and I'm not in any way an Electrician of any kind. I do a lot of electrical projects that are simple and straightforward to advance my hobbies. The project I am currently on will seem quite elementary to you Members, but I need help.

Ok, so here it goes: I want to attach a motor from a Milwaukee Mag Drill to the quick change tool post on my lathe to allow me to drill perpendicular holes in rotating stock. I thought it was going to be simple, even for me. The mechanical attachment and adjustments were, but when I started research on the motor, I discovered it was a reversible motor and I am unsure how to wire it. Since it is a reversible motor, I have to include a DPDT switch. I understand how they work, but again, I don't know how to wire the motor to 110v household current. I've searched online, including Milwaukee's Support forum. I've not been able to figure out how to complete the circuits between the household plug, the DPDT Switch and the wiring of the motor.

Please help......
…...JR
View attachment 192211
Hi

Do you have a diagram that shows the original trigger switch and button wiring?
That would help clear things up..

eT

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Looking at the image you give I THINK that wires 2 & 3 feed the brushes while 1 & 4 feed the field winding.
If that is correct and ASSUMING series wound and referring to the switch diagram you give:
Connect one power wire to B on the switch; connect 2 to E; connect 3 to the other power wire; connect 1 to A; connect 4 to D.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Was the drill originally mains powered or was it cordless ? You talk about running it from 110 volts AC but you show + and - on the drawing of your DPDT switch which only makes sense for a DC supply. The drawing of the motor looks like a series wound (Universal. ) motor as it seems to have brushes and field coils which makes it more likely to be designed for an AC mains supply.
If this is the case then I suggest connecting it up as follows. Connect the red wire (2) from one brush holder on the motor to A on your DPDT switch. Connect the blue wire (3) from the other brush holder to D on your DPDT switch. Connect the white wire (1) from one end of the field coil on the motor to E on your DPDT switch. Connect the black wire (4) from the other end of the field coil on the motor to one leg of the 110 volt AC supply. Connect the other leg of the 110 volt AC supply to B on the DPDT switch. Keep the links A to F & D to C on the DPDT switch. This reverses the phase relationship between the armature and the field of the motor.

EDIT. I notice Albert has beat me to answering. Although we have given you different instructions either one of them will work.

Les.

Last edited:

JR Ivey

Joined Nov 18, 2019
Hi Albert and Less,

Thank you very much for your help. There's so many small projects I would like to do, but my career had nothing directly to do with electricity and I get lost when attempting these projects. To add more salt to my wounds, I was electrocuted once and now have enough respect for electricity to not try something that I'm not sure about. I'm not afraid of it per say, but I know what could happen if I get it wrong.

Less, you asked if it was a cordless drill. It was not. Just straight 110 volt powered, but reversible. I mistakenly left the +/_ symbols on my copy/paste section of the DPDT diagram.

I will remove the cord, attach a small aluminum project box in it's place with the new DPDT switch and new power cord. I'll run the ground from the new power cord to the new aluminum box and the aluminum housing on the drill. I should be safe......o_O

I think I have drawn the circuits according to both sets of instructions and posted them for other Armatures like me. Also a photo of the drill I'm using in my project.

THANKS AGAIN!
….JR

Attachments

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
You diagrams show that you have understood Albert's and my descriptions.
I did a similar thing a few years ago but used a cordless drill motor.
IMG_1016 (Medium).JPG

Les.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Incidentally it would probably be a bad idea to switch directions when the motor is up to speed. Switch off, wait for it to stop, then change direction and wind it up again.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Hi Albert and Less,

Thank you very much for your help. There's so many small projects I would like to do, but my career had nothing directly to do with electricity and I get lost when attempting these projects. To add more salt to my wounds, I was electrocuted once and now have enough respect for electricity to not try something that I'm not sure about. I'm not afraid of it per say, but I know what could happen if I get it wrong.

Less, you asked if it was a cordless drill. It was not. Just straight 110 volt powered, but reversible. I mistakenly left the +/_ symbols on my copy/paste section of the DPDT diagram.

I will remove the cord, attach a small aluminum project box in it's place with the new DPDT switch and new power cord. I'll run the ground from the new power cord to the new aluminum box and the aluminum housing on the drill. I should be safe......o_O

I think I have drawn the circuits according to both sets of instructions and posted them for other Armatures like me. Also a photo of the drill I'm using in my project.

THANKS AGAIN!
….JR
Your photo missed the label on the drill with the part/model number.
Can you post the drill part/model number?

eT

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
But then your not doing the drilling in a rotateing part, like in the first post.:)

Ok, so here it goes: I want to attach a motor from a Milwaukee Mag Drill to the quick change tool post on my lathe to allow me to drill perpendicular holes in rotating stock.
If just drilling why would the motor need to be reversed? With out the original speed control of the trigger it is going to run full speed.

JR Ivey

Joined Nov 18, 2019
View attachment 192286

Les.
You sure did a good job. That is exactly what I am doing, just using a larger drill. I'm mounting this one on a 13" lathe, but I have a smaller hand drill I was going to use on a 10"L South Bend lathe. I'm thinking now about using a cordless drill motor for my 10"L. Thanks!

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Hello

Manual says:

"Electronic Switching The drill motor may be switched from forward to reverse without first having to bring the motor to a full stop. Ideal for tapping."

There is a manual at this link:

https://documents.milwaukeetool.com/58-14-4140d10.pdf
The Drill press controls are located on a control panel mounted in the drill press housing. So the wiring details are not in the docs posted by the TS. Need to see the control panel wiring....it should show how the forward and reverse buttons are wired.

Control Panel:

https://documents.milwaukeetool.com/54-30-0152.pdf
eT

Last edited:

JR Ivey

Joined Nov 18, 2019
Hello

Manual says:

"Electronic Switching The drill motor may be switched from forward to reverse without first having to bring the motor to a full stop. Ideal for tapping."

There is a manual at this link:

https://documents.milwaukeetool.com/58-14-4140d10.pdf
The Drill press controls are located on a control panel mounted in the drill press housing. So the wiring details are not in the docs posted by the TS. Need to see the control panel wiring....it should show how the forward and reverse buttons are wired.

Control Panel:

https://documents.milwaukeetool.com/54-30-0152.pdf
eT
I did read that about being able to switch directions under power. I've used these types of Mag Drills in my job many times. I've never had a need to reverse the motor though. I go online to buy a control panel to make all this simple before I started this post. That thing was over $400!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
At the very least it would prevent an instantaneous speed change.
Your motor may be a universal motor if it operates on AC and has brushes.
Brushes generally are not used for AC motors unless it's a universal motor. They operate on AC or DC and are used in hand power tools.
The other two clues are wound field, rarely seen now on DC motors due to P.M. felds, just Universal motors, as the fields show they are in series with the armature.
@JR Ivey the manual shows and as already mentioned, it features slow start for current limit on start and reverse.
Max. ,

JR Ivey

Joined Nov 18, 2019
The other two clues are wound field, rarely seen now on DC motors due to P.M. felds, just Universal motors, as the fields show they are in series with the armature.
@JR Ivey the manual shows and as already mentioned, it features slow start for current limit on start and reverse.
Max. ,
Max, what does that mean? Do I need a soft-start???