Double hacking for a audio/visual beacon...

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
While building a circuit that would flash and beep, it hit me that I could modify a disposable camera to make it.

The periodic flashing could be achieved by replacing the manual 'take picture' switch with a neon bulb, that should trigger the flash repeatedly at a certain cadence.
And previously in the circuit, the AC inverter output should nicely drive a piezo disc loudly, if I bring the oscillation frequency to 2 - 4 KHz

While I look behind the spider webs for my canibalized camera boards; your suggestions are welcome.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
While building a circuit that would flash and beep, it hit me that I could modify a disposable camera to make it.

The periodic flashing could be achieved by replacing the manual 'take picture' switch with a neon bulb, that should trigger the flash repeatedly at a certain cadence.
And previously in the circuit, the AC inverter output should nicely drive a piezo disc loudly, if I bring the oscillation frequency to 2 - 4 KHz

While I look behind the spider webs for my canibalized camera boards; your suggestions are welcome.
Unless 2 - 4kHz is a long way from its intended frequency in which case the transformer isn't going to work too well. Do you know its original frequency?

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Thanks, Albert. Measured a few types and found 25KHz, 40KHz, 57 KHz as oscillation frequencies. Would have to bring them to a tenth of that... if I can.