Double butt splice/inline crimp connector: Does such a product exist?

richard3194

Joined Oct 18, 2011
Hi. I'm in UK. I'm needing to connect or splice twin wire together. And, I'm wanting to use a single crimp connector to achieve that instead of two crimp connectors (one for each wire). I'm having difficulty sourcing the product I'm wanting. Does a product exist that will splice twin wire? Thank you. Rich

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
What gauge? Stranded? Single cond.?
Why not use two butt splices and join each together by small length of heat shrink to bond them together.
Or a twisted & soldered butt splice for each with the same H.S, cover.
Max.

richard3194

Joined Oct 18, 2011
What gauge? Stranded? Single cond.?
Why not use two butt splices and join each together by small length of heat shrink to bond them together.
Or a twisted & soldered butt splice for each with the same H.S, cover.
Max.
Hi. Yes, if nothing turns up like what I'm seeking, I think that would be the way to go. By the way, the context is a set of fairly lights that have a controller that plugs into 230V AC mains. I'm not saying the LED strings are at 230v potential, but seems good that any butt crimp is rated for 230V, and about 2A. Gauge, maybe 22 SWG and stranded.

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
As an added precaution, I have used heat shrink to cover connections, but first coat with RTV and this make a compact well insulated connection when heat shrunk and set.
Max.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
You will/may find IDC (insulation displacement connectors) for dual wires, but I doubt crimp dual connectors are made. It would take a special tool to crimp both sides well.

To keep the final diameter smaller, stagger the splices. Then cover both with the same piece of heat shrink. For the ultimate in smallness, use uninsulated splices, stagger, cover one with heat shrink (or both if staggered enough, then cover both. For outdoors, adding silicone is a good idea.

For outdoors, you might also prefer neoprene heat shrink (https://www.mcmaster.com/neoprene-rubber-heat-shrink-tubing ) rather than the usual PVC. If that is too much, you can get a fusible rubber tape (3M makes one that is sold at home improvement stores). Once wrapped on itself, it is impossible to unwind. I did an outside fixture splice more than 15 years ago with that tape, and it is still intact.

richard3194

Joined Oct 18, 2011
To be more precise about what my project is: I've dismantled a set of hanging star fairly lights, meant to be placed in front of a window on the inside. I'm re-making it, so that each hanging star pendant plugs into the wiring harness above. Given that the star pendants are lightweight, the plugs will/should remain firmly in the associated female sockets. In theory I could have sourced re-wireable plugs and sockets, but I went for the product seen in the above link. Rich