Dont quite understand ltspice

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by ConstructionK88, Feb 9, 2019.

1. ConstructionK88

Thread Starter Member

Jul 25, 2018
    Ive been playing around with ltspice off and on for a while now and i cant seem to get the hang of it.
    I want to simulate non-lt components such as and yes specifically a tda2050 but im not sure how to do it.
    Id like to simulate a standard datasheet single supply but i dont even understand how to get a tda2050s parameters into ltspice.
    Any help would be awesome since ive tinkered with it and i have to change so many component values and i think spice could at least help me narrow down what direction i should go without breadboarding a 100 times to get 1 idea of what to do.

2. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    The first thing to do is collect any models created by others. You can usually find what you need has already been done. The Yahoo group for LTspice is the best place to start but don’t stop there.

If a model doesn’t exist, I’d just use the model of a similar component. I would not be so bold to think I could create my own model.

3. ConstructionK88

Thread Starter Member

Jul 25, 2018
    thanks! i did try the yahoo thing. honestly....didnt want to create a yahoo account. lazy i know. but also didnt think it would exist since its such
    an obsolete product. i have 100 of them and trial and burning them up error isnt an issue. i just need an idea of what to do. i did make an awesome circuit that sadly took nearly a week of changing values to make work. however.....i have kids and i hope you understand... it didnt last long enough for me to write down......

4. ConstructionK88

Thread Starter Member

Jul 25, 2018

5. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Well the TDA2050 isn’t an opamp, it’s an entire audio amp. Never played with any of those, so no help.

6. ConstructionK88

Thread Starter Member

Jul 25, 2018
    Darn.

7. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Plenty of others around here may have experience with it. Just be patient.

8. ConstructionK88

Thread Starter Member

Jul 25, 2018
    Yes Sir. quite patient i am. Not at all something im immediately trying to do. Need to build a new shop for it all. Just somewhat disappointed that ltspice isnt as easy as everyone claims it to be.

9. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Lol, no one can claim it’s easy to get started. Once you finally figure out the interface, you discover it didn’t come with models for the components you want.

10. ConstructionK88

Thread Starter Member

Jul 25, 2018
    that part is why im raging. being so popular i dont see why LT doesnt include more manufacturers. At minimum a direct equivalency list.

11. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Because LTspice is free, there's no incentive for them to include other manufacturer's devices at the possible expense of their own.
    It originally included Linear Technology devices, but since they've been bought out by Analog Devices, many of the AD devices are now also included.

If you want a Spice simulator with more models, then you will need to buy one (gasp), such as Pspice or Multisim.

12. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    Raging? Think seriously of your own question.

Why in heaven LT should provide that model to you for free, to use their software that you graciously get for free as well?

And then you decided not to suscribe to the Yahoo group where, if you learn how, you could search and find a number of varied models. Maybe even the one you are looking for.

Unreasonable rant.

13. ericgibbs

Jan 29, 2010
  14. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    A quick search indicates that some folk use an LM1875 as an approximate substitute for the TDA2050. TI does have a Spice model for that, which might work in LTS.

15. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    Just an impertinent rhetorical question. @ConstructionK88 How many things have you created, that are out in the public domain and supported?

16. ConstructionK88

Thread Starter Member

Jul 25, 2018
    On here? None on aac. Just trying to get a little insight on ltspice.

17. ConstructionK88

Thread Starter Member

Jul 25, 2018
    90% unreasonable. I tried a a near hour last night to join the yahoo groups but it kept refreshing the page everytime I tried to go to the next step. Couldn't even make a yahoo account.

18. ConstructionK88

Thread Starter Member

Jul 25, 2018
    And certainly Noone cherry pics all of their parts from a single manufacturer of whose spice program they are using just out convenience.

19. eetech00

Jun 8, 2013
    Hi

Spice simulators cannot read your mind. They are meant to allow a user with an electronics background, and an idea, to create it in a simulation, basically as a "proof of concept", before creating it in hardware. It doesn't eliminate breadboarding. The component models, however, have everything to do with how successful and accurate the simulation's results will be.

To start, have a reasonable circuit design, even if on paper, and understand its operation. Even if its a simple one. Then take that circuit design "concept" to the simulator, test its behavior, and prove to yourself it works as expected. The nice thing about simulators is you can repeat this process as necessary until the design requirements are met.;)

The learning curve is a little steep, and it can be frustrating, but it will be well worth it.

eT

20. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    True.
    So LTspice is not doing that for you, but it does allow the addition of device models from other manufacturers or sources.
    They could have limited that but they didn't.
    Be thankful for that.
    Note that your ability to complain about a product is proportional to how much you paid for it. :rolleyes:

atferrari likes this.