Dont quite understand ltspice

ConstructionK88

Joined Jul 25, 2018
I have certainly not given up good sir! I plan on trying until it's as easy as building a kitchen cabinet to me! I'm not upset at the program itself or LT. It was my ignorance that made me think it was more of an open based, more um you know, having a broader component list than just LT parts. Several people here have simulated circuits for me that were not LT make. That's what I'm venting about. I thought there was more choices. How day do dat??

ConstructionK88

Joined Jul 25, 2018
True.
So LTspice is not doing that for you, but it does allow the addition of device models from other manufacturers or sources.
They could have limited that but they didn't.
Be thankful for that.
Note that your ability to complain about a product is proportional to how much you paid for it. :rolleyes:
Hahaha duly noted. Though I have tried to make models but I haven't figured it all out. I frequently connect to the nets and my pc auto updates everything....especially ltspice. It's adds much but changes just as much. Something I had the day before has changed the next. Awesome program and I love it for what it is. Just hoped it was a little easier for those trying to learn rather than for those whom already know.

ConstructionK88

Joined Jul 25, 2018
I meant anywhere. You have absolutely no call to complain about something that is free and maintained. It is just bad form.
Everywhere else yes. I'm quite knowledgeable about all aspects of construction, fairly decent at metal working, can fix most anything. Electronics no. I'm trying to learn. Should I scold you for not knowing how to do a Spanish tile roof or build 17k $ kitchen cabinets? Of course not. What if you got it for free and a tile was broken or a cabinet door had a split in it? Would you complain? Of course you would. That's what people do. Complaining doesn't make me bad. It means I care enough about it to justify the effort to complain. Even justify asking for help on this site. I have many hobbies and many talents. I'm trying find passion for this one and I fail to see when I trip and fall and grumbling a little about puts me in "bad form"?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Everywhere else yes. I'm quite knowledgeable about all aspects of construction, fairly decent at metal working, can fix most anything. Electronics no. I'm trying to learn. Should I scold you for not knowing how to do a Spanish tile roof or build 17k $ kitchen cabinets? Of course not. What if you got it for free and a tile was broken or a cabinet door had a split in it? Would you complain? Of course you would. That's what people do. Complaining doesn't make me bad. It means I care enough about it to justify the effort to complain. Even justify asking for help on this site. I have many hobbies and many talents. I'm trying find passion for this one and I fail to see when I trip and fall and grumbling a little about puts me in "bad form"?
None of those is quite the same thing as free, as in beer, software. If you don't understand why, then my explaining it to you will just confuse you more.

ConstructionK88

Joined Jul 25, 2018
None of those is quite the same thing as free, as in beer, software. If you don't understand why, then my explaining it to you will just confuse you more.
Same as with my work. Explanations aren't really important. Showing me an example is most useful. I've been online for the past 3 hours trying to find a model I could adapt or seeing if a model has even been made but I couldn't find anything. I did find, and I think, an lm3883? But the model didn't work in ltspice. I fully understand free software has limitations due to it being free and the person making it essentially doing it for free. I'm not upset. Just sad I suppose. I prefer to use older components. Simplicity in schematics and more fun to toy with.

ConstructionK88

Joined Jul 25, 2018
Do not update LTspice if you have any added models, as it may eliminate them.
Save all your added model and symbol files in a separate directory if you do an update.
There is the issue sir. I didn't choose to update. It did it on its own. When I opened ltspice it said an update was needed and I had to click "ok" to use it.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
There is the issue sir. I didn't choose to update. It did it on its own. When I opened ltspice it said an update was needed and I had to click "ok" to use it.
The general consensus of LTspice users on that Yahoo group is that models you add to a project, because they didn’t come with the application, should go with the project and get incorporated using an “include” directive. A big advantage is that the resulting model folder for your project is portable for sharing with others.

Like you I wanted to add everything I found useful to the application itself so that it would be available on the menus for every project. It’s very cool to do that but you’ve learned the hard way one of the big disadvantages of doing it that way.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Perhaps I've been lucky, but so far, over several years and many updates, the LTS updates have respected my added models within the LTS folders. I do have backups of the models, however.

Uilnaydar

Joined Jan 30, 2008
I've been online for the past 3 hours trying to find a model I could adapt or seeing if a model has even been made but I couldn't find anything.
To be honest, you SHOULD have spent those 3 hours finding out why you can't make a Yahoo account. There you will find MANY models. If you plan on making it "as easy as building a kitchen cabinet" you will be camping out on Yahoo <cough> potentiometer <cough> getting models.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Why are you trying to simulate an old TDA2050 audio power amplifier? It is obsolete and not made anymore. It was invented before simulators were invented so there is no model from its manufacturer but Yahoo might have somebody's guesses about it.

Why simulate it? Its datasheet shows its peak output level vs supply voltage and load impedance. It shows its distortion and frequency response. It shows its noise level, input resistance and efficiency. It has a detailed schematic and even a pcb layout.

ConstructionK88

Joined Jul 25, 2018
The general consensus of LTspice users on that Yahoo group is that models you add to a project, because they didn’t come with the application, should go with the project and get incorporated using an “include” directive. A big advantage is that the resulting model folder for your project is portable for sharing with others.

Like you I wanted to add everything I found useful to the application itself so that it would be available on the menus for every project. It’s very cool to do that but you’ve learned the hard way one of the big disadvantages of doing it that way.
Indeed I did. I do like the program for what it is. Do wish it had older components on it. I tried google, bing, firefox, ect.. to find an LT equivalent to tda2050 but it didn't turn up much. I'm guessing there isn't one. Not that I need to model it but it's for educational purposes. I had to change around so much to get it to work(12volts) and I wanted to get an idea of what was happening in the circuit.

ConstructionK88

Joined Jul 25, 2018
To be honest, you SHOULD have spent those 3 hours finding out why you can't make a Yahoo account. There you will find MANY models. If you plan on making it "as easy as building a kitchen cabinet" you will be camping out on Yahoo <cough> potentiometer <cough> getting models.
I finally made one and joined the group. My Firefox was jealous I suppose. I did a reinstall and all is well. Couldn't find the specific IC model I was looking for though. A few slightly similar and some with tda2030 but nothing quite close enough

ConstructionK88

Joined Jul 25, 2018
Because I'm powering it on two batteries at 12 volts and had to change so many of the components to have it work. It's for my own learning you can say. I set it up originally as per the single supply at 25 volts and worked great with that voltage but 4 batteries will be way to heavy to keep it portable

Uilnaydar

Joined Jan 30, 2008
I finally made one and joined the group. My Firefox was jealous I suppose. I did a reinstall and all is well. Couldn't find the specific IC model I was looking for though. A few slightly similar and some with tda2030 but nothing quite close enough
Do a search in the files section for "TDA2050". There is a LM1875_TDA2050.mod file in there.

ConstructionK88

Joined Jul 25, 2018
Why do you need 4 batteries for 25V?
How does using dual 12V supplies save on the number of batteries?
My apologies I wasn't clear. 25v supply or 4 batteries for 24. I had it work great on just 2 at 12v but I had to change components around for it to work. I don't remember all the parts and values I changed so I wanted to simulate it to help me narrow it down faster

ConstructionK88

Joined Jul 25, 2018
My apologies I wasn't clear. 25v supply or 4 batteries for 24. I had it work great on just 2 at 12v but I had to change components around for it to work. I don't remember all the parts and values I changed so I wanted to simulate it to help me narrow it down faster
Do not intend on using 4 batteries. I only tested it to make sure I built it correctly since its meant for 22v at first then used 2 batteries at 12v for actual application. My proto got destroyed before I could write it down so I wanted to spice it at 12v to speed up everything