Doing the maths at what end? Micro or tablet?

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Tablet running RFOBASIC! in Android and micro 18F452 in Assembly.

Micro to do 200 batches of (4+4 ADC conversions) for 2 different voltages. One batch every 3 seconds.

The tablet has to progressively show both voltages in a graph on the screen and save the data in a file when done.

I know how to handle the necessary calculations at both ends but no sure which one could be "better", whatever that means.

Opinions (preferences?) with a minimum of reasons would be interesting to hear.

Gracias for any reply.

Picbuster

Joined Dec 2, 2013
Please identify density(10/16/24 bits), voltage(-V to +V) and conversion rate (mS/uS/nS) wanted to select an ADC.
Just taking the first one available will drive you most of the time into problems.
Writing software in assembler is possible but brings you back to the mid 60 ties and is more difficult to read. I don't know anything about RFO basic! but basic programming tools are most of the time interpreters hence slower than a compiled program.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Unless you have a full toolkit of working library code for the pic in assembly do the absolute minimum there and just send the raw data upstream for further processing.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Please identify density(10/16/24 bits), voltage(-V to +V) and conversion rate (mS/uS/nS) wanted to select an ADC.
Just taking the first one available will drive you most of the time into problems.
Writing software in assembler is possible but brings you back to the mid 60 ties and is more difficult to read. I don't know anything about RFO basic! but basic programming tools are most of the time interpreters hence slower than a compiled program.
About the text in bold, could you elaborate? On-board ADC in use.

Unless you have a full toolkit of working library code for the pic in assembly do the absolute minimum there and just send the raw data upstream for further processing.
I have it. For the moment feeling a tad inclined to the micro's end. The "small" period spent for the whole process vis-a-vis 3 seconds is reassuring in case I decide to increase the rate of conversions.

Picbuster

Joined Dec 2, 2013
About the text in bold, could you elaborate? On-board ADC in use.

I have it. For the moment feeling a tad inclined to the micro's end. The "small" period spent for the whole process vis-a-vis 3 seconds is reassuring in case I decide to increase the rate of conversions.
'First one available ADC from store'
Doing an ADC is more complicated then at the first glance.
Most of the ADC are designed for specific applications. Using the wrong one might put you into trouble however;
if you want to measure slow signals dc to < 20Khz most of the adc's will do.
I have to guess what you want to achieve with your design disabling me to give you exact information.
You use the on-board adc and therefore limited to those spec's.