Does hysteresis still occur if saturation hasn't been reached?

ThermalEngineer

Joined Mar 23, 2020
I'm thinking specifically of the B-H curves used for transformer cores.
1638132609999.png

In my application, I'm thinking of designing a current pulse transformer to measure currently accurately. However, I don't want any remanent B fields in the transformer core after a huge current spike, as then the next reading from a following current spike will be totally off/inaccurate.

Attachments

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I'm pretty sure you can't go back the way you came even if you don't reach saturation. The problem is that you have a multi-valued function and the value that you measure depends on the path.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I'm thinking specifically of the B-H curves used for transformer cores.

In my application, I'm thinking of designing a current pulse transformer to measure currently accurately. However, I don't want any remanent B fields in the transformer core after a huge current spike, as then the next reading from a following current spike will be totally off/inaccurate.
It is not likely that a "current pulse transformer" will allow an accurate measurement of current. What sort of current are you intending to measure? AC, PWM, square wave, or?? and how many amps, typically? What frequency range will the pulsing be? The simplest way to get accurate readings is to use an ammeter shunt and an appropriate isolation amplifier. Well, OK, not super simple but they can be quite accurate.