Does anybody know what this key is for?

Dave Lowther

Joined Sep 8, 2016
Just guessing, could it be for tensioning a coil spring, e.g for an up-and-over garage door mechanism?
Well I've got an up-and-over garage door but I've never looked to see if it has a tensioning adjustment. It's possible that the tool was left at the house when the door was installed during the house build. I'll have to have a close look at the springs on the sides of the door sometime to see if there's a 3 hole adjuster somewhere.
I forgot to say that the tool is mainly plastic. I wouldn't expect that it's intended to be used for anything that needs a lot of torque.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
Hi Dave,
I have seen stringed instrument tension tuning keys similar to that image.

Any previous musicians in your family.?
E

Dave Lowther

Joined Sep 8, 2016
I have seen stringed instrument tension tuning keys similar to that image.
Any previous musicians in your family.?
I'm the only one who played stringed instruments. I've got a couple of electric guitars in the loft, but I don't think it's for them, they have the usual tuning keys on the heads.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
I had a "professional" treadmill that used a similar key to adjust the mat tension.

Could you post a photo of the working end of the tool? Also, does the plastic pin in the center retract when pressed (spring loaded) or is it solidly positioned?

Dave Lowther

Joined Sep 8, 2016
I had a "professional" treadmill that used a similar key to adjust the mat tension.

Could you post a photo of the working end of the tool? Also, does the plastic pin in the center retract when pressed (spring loaded) or is it solidly positioned?
We've never owned a treadmill. I don't really want to have to go up in the loft just now to get it out for a photo. There wouldn't be much more to see than what I described already (three metal pins spaced equally at 120 deg and one plastic pin in the middle). I'm pretty sure the plastic pin doesn't retract, it looks like it's part of the same moulding as the rest of the plastic. I checked the metal pins and they don't retract.

I had no idea my original post would spark so much interest. I was half expecting no replies at all. Thanks to everyone who has investigated / suggested possible uses for it.

Dave Lowther

Joined Sep 8, 2016
I don't really want to have to go up in the loft just now to get it out for a photo. There wouldn't be much more to see than what I described already (three metal pins spaced equally at 120 deg and one plastic pin in the middle).
That seemed a bit lazy of me given the effort others have put in to helping me. So I went up in the loft and took a photo.

On closer inspection (of the photo) I can see that the 3 pins perhaps aren't exactly equally spaced (sorry) and there are 3 letters on it "A", "E" and "K", but I don't know what order they should be read in. The plastic pin doesn't retract.

2022-02-18 14.22.23.jpg

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Ok well I must conclude this comes from a parallel universe in which is a very common item, and over there they have a similar thread going where someone found a padlock and that forum is equally baffled as to its purpose.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Well, I am about 90% certain that is a wrench for an anti-theft bolt on a car rim, How about Toyota? There are several manufacturers that seem to source their wrenches/bolts from the same company,

Dave Lowther

Joined Sep 8, 2016
Well, I am about 90% certain that is a wrench for an anti-theft bolt on a car rim, How about Toyota? There are several manufacturers that seem to source their wrenches/bolts from the same company,
Since living here I've had an Opel Manta, various Fords, and a couple of Honda Preludes. It may well have been a car tool, not that I remember, just that I don't love cars / do any maintenance on them so I wouldn't have taken care of it like I do with bike tools

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I think the center pin is to keep the rounded pins from camming out while still allowing the wrench to limit the torque to what can be undone by it.

Dave Lowther

Joined Sep 8, 2016
Yes, it seems to be a commonly used format but we use different sorts of wrenches in the US. Do you have a car with alloy wheels?
Yes, but it's been around many years more than I've had my current car for. I think most of my cars that I've had during the 35 years I've lived in this house have had alloy wheels.